SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All said and done, we all know what the hp and torque results eith the first ECU upgrade. How about the speed? Does anyone know or test your car in track after the upgrade? What would be the 0-60 after the upgrade with an auto 9-5?
6 seconds? 7 seconds?

What is the top speed after the upgrade? 145mph? 150mph? 155mph? Just curious! I am trying to save up some money to do an upgrade.

Thanks
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
0-60 times in a Saab are pretty pointless, you cant keep the rubber on the road, however the mid range torque will blow you away. With enough mods, lsd, shorter final drive you can get near 5 secs.

Depends really if you are talking about the 2ltr or the 2.3ltr, Anyway I recon stage 1 on a 2ltr auto would be 7 seconds maybe slower :confused: As for top speed I would guess the 2ltr engine would maybe do 150. I dont think I would want to find out what mine would do :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
This may not really help but,

I have a 2.0t Estate manual with a BSR Stage 1 and would say 0-60 is just under 8 seconds. 1st and 2nd gears seem slow......

Not that great and I was/is disappointed with it, :( But 3th and 4th gears blows you away, and even with a stage 1 most other cars as well. It still makes me smile after 5 months!:cheesy:

Top speed no idea, never been on a track to find out, althought would love to try it one day.

Your car 2.3t but Auto, at a guess 7.5 seconds.:confused:

Still much much better ;) than what you have, and any stage 1 is quite cheap.

Finn,

Whats a ..." lsd, shorter final drive " when its at home?:confused:

Puli
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
timmehhhhhh said:
shorten the final drive and you can kiss your fuel economy goodbye!
I only partially agree with that statement :confused: I have lowered the final drive by 12%. Take off speed combined with dif is now stupendous, overtaking is now "Hold on tight". As for fuel economy if you drive normaly then it is isnt affected that much at all, infact the AC probabaly affects it more. The biggest problem is that it is just tooooooooo tempting to just drop to second and plant your foot, this is where the petrol goes :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Ok I'm confused, easily done!

What has the final drive length got to do with the 0-60 time?

Even the autos do 70+ in second, I assume you stick shifters dont do 0-60 in fifth:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Does anyone know about times for the 3.0T? I have a loaner, 2006 9-3 with the 2.0T and I can tell there is a lack of power compared to my V6 Turbo. Also does anyone know why Saab quit offering the V6 Turbo?


Thanks,

Peter
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Ok I'm confused, easily done!

What has the final drive length got to do with the 0-60 time?

Even the autos do 70+ in second, I assume you stick shifters dont do 0-60 in fifth:eek:
By shortening the final drive your basically shortening all the gears. This in turn gives better acceleration. You do find you have to change gear a little earlier as you reach rev limits quicker, especially in 1st and 2nd. I did have the old ratio and the new written down but I cant find the damned piece of paper. Like for like long cruises i.e. motorways are harder on the engine as it is revving higher to achieve the same speed as before, but I haven't really noticed this under about 100mph. Short country journeys are more fun the car feels much more spirited under the throttle but thats only because the revs are holding higher at lower speeds, keeps it in the power band for longer..:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Finn said:
By shortening the final drive your basically shortening all the gears. This in turn gives better acceleration. :)
Blimey, thanks Finn ;)

All this damn mechanics speak and I know nuffin.................where's Mike :confused:
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Blimey, thanks Finn ;)

All this damn mechanics speak and I know nuffin.................where's Mike :confused:
Actualy I thought of you, Abbotts have just changed the turbo on the development car to a TD04 and thats got the short drive the lsd and the lightened fly wheel. You put your foot down .....Then BOOM the car just explodes under your foot :eek: Its as scary as hell :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
Finn said:
Actualy I thought of you, Abbotts have just changed the turbo on the development car to a TD04 and thats got the short drive the lsd and the lightened fly wheel. You put your foot down .....Then BOOM the car just explodes under your foot :eek: Its as scary as hell :lol:
Why would anybody want a car that explodes every time you drive it? Sounds positively dangerous to me. ;) :cheesy:
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Kermit said:
Why would anybody want a car that explodes every time you drive it? Sounds positively dangerous to me. ;) :cheesy:
Hey ask Chris hes got one of those exploding mitsy units, does 40 - 70 in about -3 seconds...... Like breaking the sound barrier..:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,878 Posts
On my 2001 Aero 5spd with a BSR stage 2 (essentially a stage one with a sports exhaust) I can't speak for 0-60. It feels marginally faster, but its still hard to keep the wheels from losing grip in 1st gear so its difficult to take advantage of.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say my 0-60s are probably in the very low 6s range now, when I get a good launch.

As far as top speed goes, now that the governor is eliminated I find that I can reach the point were gearing runs out in 5th gear (roughly 170mph) if I can find a long enough straight road... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Top Speed, same road, approx same temps.

ECU Maptun Stage3 data on 9k Aero

Stock = approx 5000 rpm or 149mph
K&N airfilter = approx 5100 rpm
K&N plus 3" d/p and cat = approx 5250rpm
K&N plus 3" d/p and cat plus ECU stg3 = 5600-5700 rpm approx 165 and MUCH quicker getting up to this speed.

To be honest, you need a track, travel to Europe and drive at night, or extensive electronic counter-measures to really use an upgrage. HTH
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
KevinC said:
Top Speed, same road, approx same temps.

ECU Maptun Stage3 data on 9k Aero

Stock = approx 5000 rpm or 149mph
K&N airfilter = approx 5100 rpm
K&N plus 3" d/p and cat = approx 5250rpm
K&N plus 3" d/p and cat plus ECU stg3 = 5600-5700 rpm approx 165 and MUCH quicker getting up to this speed.

To be honest, you need a track, travel to Europe and drive at night, or extensive electronic counter-measures to really use an upgrage. HTH
Youve lost me, whats this :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
I'd say it was the max attainable rpm in 5th Gear with varying mods.... can't wait for stage 4 then :) Never thought it would be possible to nearly run out of revs with the old Aero's long 5th...
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top