Rattling/Creaking Parcel Shelf? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th January 2005

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
Default Rattling/Creaking Parcel Shelf?

Hi
Having searched these forums it seems that the 9-3 is a well known rattle box and that we have found and discussed them all ! However, I may have the dubious honour of finding yet another one.

I have a 9-3 Aero registered in September '03. Aside from the well documented driver door rattle I get the most annoying creak/rattle from the rear of my car. It seems to be coming from the each corner of the parcel shelf, where it meets the seats by the rear seat belts and is driving me mad. Has anyone else had this?

Typically, whenever I have taken it to the dealers to investigate it ceases to happen. Maybe this is because they are located on the one decent stretch of road in Kent that isn't full of potholes...hmmm, wonder if that was deliberate

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th January 2005

I have had this, drove me mad!!! The car was taken in by the supplier

ands was fixed, they never said what the problem was but I think it
was in the back seat release just behind the seat, mine was coming from the rear left, might be worth a look.
Old 26th January 2005

My Saabs: 9-3SS Vector Sport 1.9TiD 150 (186)

Well I have another noise which I have not seen posted either! A kind of rattle, although more of a metallic 'clincking' noise which when driving sounds like it is coming from the door pillar but when in the back of the car sounds like it is coming from the right hand rear door (this being the drivers side as I am in the UK). I did a long journey in the back of my own car a few weeks ago and it drove me mad, I keep on applying pressure to various parts of the interior with no joy. At least when I am on my own in the front I can turn the music up, ok well not that loud (what a great sound system!) but loud enough!

Have not had the rear parcel shelf creak (yet) although a colleague at work with an 05 model Linear gets a loud creak come from the dash on cold mornings as the car startes to warm up, presumably the plastic expanding or changing shape slightly.

I do get the door rattle, though this is almost always down to music playing.

Old 26th January 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS Aero 6MT Hirsch stage 1, Koni FSD

I have the parcel shelf creak - haven't got round to trying to fix it yet.

Any know of a fix? I was going to sort it when I replace the rear speakers.
Old 26th January 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_adam
I have the parcel shelf creak - haven't got round to trying to fix it yet.

Any know of a fix? I was going to sort it when I replace the rear speakers.
My parcel shelf problems were relatively easy to fix.

To remove the parcel shelf first drop both the rear seat backs. You will see four (maybe five) circular clips along the bottom edge of the shelf. Push the center portion of these in about 5 mm until you feel the click. This is the "released" position, don't push further as there is no need. The clip can be extracted with a small screwdriver or your fingernails.

Once all the clips are out, you lift the front edge of the shelf up a bit and wiggle it in the forward direction. It is secured under the rear window by four male prong-type connectors which insert into holes in the sheet metal. This is a plastic to metal interface, and there was some freeplay on mine. I figure that was the rattle source.

With the shelf out, I applied some weather stripping around each of the rear prong connectors. Not on the shaft itself, but at the base of the prong, so the foam would eliminate the freeplay once the shelf was fully re-inserted.

Pop the shelf back in. The hardest part is folding the fabric on the sides for a neat fit.

You need to reset the circular push connectors before re-installing them. Do this by pushing the center back through the connector until it protrudes by about 5 mm. It should easily pass through the hole. Push the center flush to anchor the connector.
Old 26th January 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: '04 Saab 9-3 Linear MT

mine does this too!...only when the sub kicks hard though
Old 27th January 2005

cheers guys, i'll have a fiddle this weekend and let you know the results
Old 27th January 2005

Hmmm, perhaps I could have worded that a little better
Old 7th February 2005

Angry

I actually ended up taking the car into the dealership. They had it for 4 hours and I can't hear any difference whatsoever. So it's back to square one. I guess I'll end up fixing it myself.

Incidentally, I supplied the dealership with some print outs from these forums, in the spirit of being helpful and possibly opening their eyes to a new solution to an old problem. They responded with a comment to the effect that 'they don't really pay any attention to forums or give credit to the wealth of information there'

This wasn't really what I wanted to hear. Surely as these forums are made up of Saab customers this is pretty much tantamount to an official Saab rep saying 'We aren't interested in what you, as paying customers, say, think, suggest or complain about'

!!!
Old 4th May 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 9-3 Aero

Hi, I've just bought an 04 Aero and I get exactly the creak/rattle at the rear back corners as described at the front of this thread. It's not the parcel shelf as I've taken it out and the noise still happens. Anyone know of the source and a cure ?

Apart from this noise I'm really pleased with the car
Old 4th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: SAAB-less

My car started doing this and it sounds like a loud cracking noise which is more annoying than the average creaks and rattles I normally hear. I've put foam between the shelf and rear bracket but it hasn't worked. Blah...
Old 5th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)
Yup, mine does it too!

Pretty sure it's the rear seats moving in their latches as it is a very low metallic clunk. I also never hear it with the rear seats down...
Old 9th May 2007

OK I've

- removed the rear parcel shelf trim
- unbolted and moved the left hand seat catch
- unscrewed and moved the left hand speaker
- removed the boot light
- unclipped some of the plastic wiring harness clips
- removed the boot lid trim

...and none of the above has made any difference, other than the noise is loader when the parcel shelf trim was removed and the seats are down.

It's infurriating as the noise is such a dominant loud metallic creak you would think it would be obvious what's causing it.

Did think it might be something in the C-pillar instead, but had a friend sit in the back today and he reckoned it was definitely coming from the parcel shelf in the vicinity of the left seat catch.

Any suggestions - before I pull out my remaining hair !!?
Old 1st June 2007

For anyone that's interested all my creaks from the back have gone

The problem was related to the welds that connect the hollow square tube cross brace to the parcel shelf. At one stage there was a plan to to cut out the whole cross brace and weld in a new one. However they ended up simply re-inforcing the existing welds.

Hats off to Saab Fulham, who although they had a few false starts and seemed to be rather slow tracking down a very obvious noise, stuck with it and checked and rejected the body shop's first attempts at fixing the problem.

Also thanks to Mr Saab, as although Saab Fulham had my car for the best part of 3 weeks and my warrenty expires at the end of this month, I didn't pay a penny.

Off to do some bonding with my car this weekend !
Old 1st June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Some of you may have read my little soundproofing thread..but...in the process of my escapade I came across a little spot...or rather two little spots that are worthy of attention. Try a bit of cloth/rag/cardboard here and see if it helps..........HERE It doesn't look much..it is where the inner arch trim goes around the upper box section in the boot....can't promise anything but worth a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1st June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharrhy
OK I've

- removed the rear parcel shelf trim
- unbolted and moved the left hand seat catch
- unscrewed and moved the left hand speaker
- removed the boot light
- unclipped some of the plastic wiring harness clips
- removed the boot lid trim
Jeeez...I wish i lived next door to you... we would have the quietest 93's in the UK !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement