Heated seat not working - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.II, 2010 onwards > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 2010 onwards Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th October 2013
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: None
Garage
Default Heated seat not working

Hey guys,

Bought my 2011 Turbo4 Premium new in 9/2011 and both driver & passenger heated seats have worked fine. Until recently. The driver's side only doesn't stay on. The switch shows the heat turned on when I press it. But after 30 seconds or so, the light turns off and the seat doesn't seem to get warm. The passenger side still works fine. Any advice on how to troubleshoot?
Past Saabs: 11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) 11 9-5 T4P Java, 06 9-7X 5.3i, 72 Sonett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th October 2013

Join Date: Jul 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-5

Good question. Mine does the same thing.
Old 11th October 2013

Join Date: Dec 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900S Sedan, 2011 9-5 Turbo4
Default Driver heated seat not working

My '11 started doing exactly this about 18 months after I got it (and right before the start of winter!).

I took it to a Saab guy and the problem was the heating element in the driver seat cushion had a broken grid. The dealer suggested he could repair it but didn't think it would work well or for long. The only option is to replace the seat heating element entirely.

From saabusaparts.com, Heating pad.(9-5 1998-2011)[12777551]. I am ordering it now and going to try to replace it myself.

Good luck!

Old 11th October 2013
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabdriver3 View Post
My '11 started doing exactly this about 18 months after I got it (and right before the start of winter!).

I took it to a Saab guy and the problem was the heating element in the driver seat cushion had a broken grid. The dealer suggested he could repair it but didn't think it would work well or for long. The only option is to replace the seat heating element entirely.

From saabusaparts.com, Heating pad.(9-5 1998-2011)[12777551]. I am ordering it now and going to try to replace it myself.

Good luck!
How did he diagnose the grid? I would guess we could take a multimeter to it and check for continuity through the grid. I hate to guess.

Anyway, let us know how the install is and if it fixes the problem!
Past Saabs: 11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) 11 9-5 T4P Java, 06 9-7X 5.3i, 72 Sonett
Old 12th October 2013

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Vert
Default Seems to be a common problem

Hi guys,

We bought a 2011 turbo just a couple of weeks ago, it has 16k miles on it. Sweet car, the only problem with it is that the driver's seat heating exhibits exactly the same symptom. I'm glad I found this thread, seems to be a pretty common problem. The heater elements are cheap enough, however if 4 Saab owners replied to this thread within a day it might be a poor quality part that will break again in a short time. I decided to check if other cars built on the same platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsi...orm#Epsilon_II). Sure enough this tread on Buick forums confirms the same issue: http://buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23361. Of course buick owners still have their cars under warranty. I see that Buick changed part number for the heating pad for 2012 models, i wounder if they improved the part. I'm curious if anyone on this forum actually took a seat apart to replace the element, how complex this task is.

Regards,

Vlad
Old 19th October 2013
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabdriver3 View Post

Good luck!
Just wondering if you did this yourself and how things turned out?

Vlad- good info on Buick changing the part number. If they indeed upgraded that part, I might give their new part number a try.
Old 20th October 2013

The Buick part (20982766) is cheap enough to try it out. Buick seats look 95% the same, i think i'll give it a shot in the next few weeks. Successful or not I will post a write up and pictures .
Old 22nd October 2013
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp277 View Post
The Buick part (20982766) is cheap enough to try it out. Buick seats look 95% the same, i think i'll give it a shot in the next few weeks. Successful or not I will post a write up and pictures .
Nice! Looking forward to it!
Old 2nd November 2013

Default Heated seat update

Here's an update:

In my case the problem was the heater element in the seat cushion. If you wan to check yours remove the 2 torx 40 bolts that hold rear of seat tracks, slide the seat back about 1/4 of an inch and tilt it back. The connection for the bottom element is at the back of the cushion, it has 4 wires. The 2 yellow wires are for the sensor, measure the resistance between the black and the brown wire. if there's no resistance your element is bad. The seat is very heavy, cover the sill to avoid any damage. The leather cover is held by a couple of plastic ties that you have to cut and few plastic clips that are easy to remove by hand. On the inside there are plastic and metal parts that are glued to the foam cushion, remove those carefully to avoid damage to the foam. I used a Buick heater element (part number is above in this thread), which is a slightly different shape than the original. In the attached picture the original is on the left, the Buick element is on the right. Buick's part connector is different, however the wire coloring is the same, I spliced the original connector in. If you're using a Saab part for the fix I would strongly suggest to find where the original part broke and add additional padding around because there are few hard parts that contact the heater element directly. Hope this helps, this is a minor issue with an otherwise great and rare car. As a side note, the seat with all the wiring and rear video screen is far more complicated that some vintage cars I owned :-).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131026_213053[1].jpg
Views:	2060
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	57913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131026_213112[1].jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	57921  
Old 4th November 2013
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp277 View Post
Here's an update:

In my case the problem was the heater element in the seat cushion. If you wan to check yours remove the 2 torx 40 bolts that hold rear of seat tracks, slide the seat back about 1/4 of an inch and tilt it back. The connection for the bottom element is at the back of the cushion, it has 4 wires. The 2 yellow wires are for the sensor, measure the resistance between the black and the brown wire. if there's no resistance your element is bad. The seat is very heavy, cover the sill to avoid any damage. The leather cover is held by a couple of plastic ties that you have to cut and few plastic clips that are easy to remove by hand. On the inside there are plastic and metal parts that are glued to the foam cushion, remove those carefully to avoid damage to the foam. I used a Buick heater element (part number is above in this thread), which is a slightly different shape than the original. In the attached picture the original is on the left, the Buick element is on the right. Buick's part connector is different, however the wire coloring is the same, I spliced the original connector in. If you're using a Saab part for the fix I would strongly suggest to find where the original part broke and add additional padding around because there are few hard parts that contact the heater element directly. Hope this helps, this is a minor issue with an otherwise great and rare car. As a side note, the seat with all the wiring and rear video screen is far more complicated that some vintage cars I owned :-).
Nicely done! Did you pull the seat out of the car entirely?
Old 4th November 2013

Yes I did, the seat belt was still attached to the car though. Conceivably it could be done with the seat in the car, but you won't have much room to work.
Old 9th December 2013

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9 5 Turbo 4 Manual

How is the Buick heater element working out? Is it still working I was just worried the spliced wire would change the resistance and cause the part to fail.

Last edited by d3odearl; 9th December 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 9th December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3odearl View Post
How is the Buick heater element working out? Is it still working I was just worried the spliced wire would change the resistance and cause the part to fail.
It's working fine. Why do you think spliced wires would change the resistance? I only spliced in the original Saab plug connector, that should not have any effect on the resistance. I think the reason that the heater elements go bad in these cars is the hard parts that are in contact with elements and eventually break the grid.
Old 26th December 2013

My Saabs: 2010 NG 9-5 XWD Aero 2.8T

My 2010 Aero is also cutting out after about 1-minute (only on drivers side). One interesting note - if I select the lowest setting (on the seat warmer) it will stay on. Do you all think this is a smiliar issue?
Old 26th December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpattie View Post
My 2010 Aero is also cutting out after about 1-minute (only on drivers side). One interesting note - if I select the lowest setting (on the seat warmer) it will stay on. Do you all think this is a smiliar issue?
Does it actually heat on the lowest setting both bottom and back of the seat? If it does then it could be something else. If it's the same issue then the grid in the bottom of your seat will completely break in the near future and it won't work in any setting .
Old 27th December 2013

Just remembered that the Aero seats are different. I don't see how they could use the same heating element in those seats, so your problem could be something completely different if your seat looks like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_J3_liDBfbv...5-Interior.jpg
Old 6th January 2014
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Vig Vert; 2011 9-5Aero
Default Aero seat with adjustable leg

The part number for the seats with the leg extension is
12777552. My Saab guy ordered me the 551 which will not work at all, since the 552's main section is actually shorter and has a little tongue element/grid which goes into the leg extension.

I don't know how anyone could do it in the car, especially with all the hog rings you have to remove and reclip. There are like 20 something to get the grid out.

I pulled mine out and removed the cushion. Not too bad. I'd recommend covering the center console and inside b-pillar plastic trim with towels to keep from scratching them. Also adjust the seat to the midway point in height and length to get it out easier.
Old 7th January 2014

I don't know how anyone could do it in the car, especially with all the hog rings you have to remove and reclip. There are like 20 something to get the grid out.
On a 4 cyl car there are no hog rings, just a couple of zip ties. Obviously the Aero cars got their seats from a better place
Old 28th January 2014

Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Linear, 5-Spd (Sold)

We repair seat heaters all the time for dealerships.

If the grid has a small burn in it, cut out the burned area, do a proper solder to make it an acceptable repair, then cover the repair with a material that is flame retardant (we use seat heater pad material, it meets those standards)

Replacing the seat heater pad entirely is definately an option, but all factory seat heaters are made with cheap wire element style pads. It's not a matter of if it will fail again, but when....
Old 4th February 2014

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-5 Aero Hirsch, 2011 9-4X Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernauto View Post
We repair seat heaters all the time for dealerships.

If the grid has a small burn in it, cut out the burned area, do a proper solder to make it an acceptable repair, then cover the repair with a material that is flame retardant (we use seat heater pad material, it meets those standards)

Replacing the seat heater pad entirely is definately an option, but all factory seat heaters are made with cheap wire element style pads. It's not a matter of if it will fail again, but when....
What do you guys charge on an aero to replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement