It is possible to replace the 9-7x outdated factory Nav/Stereo with real technolgy!! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th August 2012

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-7x 4.2L & 2011 Saab 9-5
Garage
Default It is possible to replace the 9-7x outdated factory Nav/Stereo with real technolgy!!

I recently replaced the outdated factory(Junk) navigation system with a Kenwood DNX-6180 that looks stock and has Pandora control, backup camera, steering wheel controls and blue tooth. Unit also utilizes the Saab logo boot screen and wallpaper. The factory system used in these SUV's uses technology from the late 90's and is severely outdated. The total cost ended up being $660usd after backup camera, and kits were purchased.

The newer Nav unit allows me to do the following:
1) It has an interface where I can control the Pandora internet radio on my Iphone with the head unit touch screen.
2) It has blue tooth telephone built in that syncs the contacts with the headunit and I can place calls via touch screen or with the voice command button on my Iphone.
3) The unit uses Garmin Navigation that speaks street names, has 3d maps as well as contains info including phone numbers on POI ballons in the map. Click the ballon and it will call the POI. This mapping system actually works unlike the factory one that will try to send you 2 hours out of way on road trip.
4) Grounding of the park brake wire on the unit allows passengers to enter GPS input or watch DVD movies while car is moving.
5) Plays DVD while car is moving and has dual zone capabilities with two different sound zones. I believe it has an AV out that can utilize the overhead DVD screen in back somehow.
6) I have a "BACKUP CAMERA"!!! The $14usd camera displays distance color bars on the screen. I use this daily and could never judge how close I was before the camera was installed. To install I unsnapped tailgate inside panel and drilled a large hole to the left of passenger licsense plate illumination light missing the steel brace behind it. Siliconed the hole with wire going though it and fed the wires. The camera is screwed in just under chrome lip right under Saab emblem.
7) Direct control of Ipod or Iphone to play MP3 songs or viewing of pictures. You can control devices Apple devices from touch screen.

Items I needed:
1) any aftermarket radio or aftermarket nav unit. I used a factory refurbished Kenwood DNX6180 $450usd off ebay

2) *Important peice for any after market install* - You will need a kit to retain your onstar or door chimes. The kit and price will vary depending on whether the you have bose, onstar are both. I had both so i had to get Metra insall kit for Bose system and Onstar. Kits that fit the Buick Rainier, GMC Envoy, Chevy Trail Blazer, or Isusu Asender will work even if 9-7x is not listed. I had numerous professional installers refuse saying it would not work, and that the other SUVs listed were different. I found a kit that included required antenna adaptor(Metra 40-GM10 or other brand will work), Metra Axxess GMOS-04 for Bose, onstar and chime interface wiring harness, and Metra 95-3304 dash mount kit. $122.95 usd ebay- http://r.ebay.com/3ysyPQ
Kit had two side plasic pieces that screwed into the side of the new unit. these side parts lined up perfectly and anchor my radio to the dash. For wiring, basically I took the harness from new radio and mated it with the wiring harness via 3m quick press on wire splice boxes (conected needed wires) and spliced the radio park brake wire to ground wire. Next i connected the steering wheel wire harness. Then I took harness outside plugging it into the car and radio and I was done.
3) Metra Axxess ASWIC univeral steering wheel interface. It auto programs all the buttons for you. The have help line to assist with wires.

Boot screen programing: www.avrdistributing.com/tech_data/DNX5-6_startup.pdf

Here is the Boot image I used to load into my aftermarket radio:
http://saabworld.net/attachments/f29...saab_logo.jpeg

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	7605
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	30871

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	2025
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	30872

Name:	photo (5).JPG
Views:	1919
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	30873

Name:	photo (7).JPG
Views:	1913
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	30874
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0193.jpg
Views:	2261
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	30979  

Last edited by Jc-place; 17th August 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added link to Saab boot image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th September 2012

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2006 97-x 4.2i
Thumbs up I shall repeat...

I have Boss 6-CD changer in my 97x Saab. Can it still be done? If yes can you give me some more details? like a step by step description, part listing, may be some more pictures. Also I was looking at this Kenwood DNX-6180 gps on ebay looks like the light doesn't exactly match green factory dash, can that be adjusted? your pic looks exactly as factory. Thank you, looking forward to start this project.
Old 23rd September 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-7X 6.0i

If you look on here, there are a couple of posts, including one of mine, that list all of the part numbers you would need. It's a relatively easy install, but will take some time. If you can't find it, send me a message and we can discuss further via e-mail or phone. Most of my original install is detailed here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273000...lity-4d/page-2

I have since replaced the headunit and the dash kit with a Clarion NX702 and Metra 95-3304 dash kit (the Scosche one was crap) http://www.metraonline.com/part/Chev...sh_kit_95-3304

Also, the PAC SWI adapters that I first used are crap. I replaced mine with the Axxess ASWC and it actually works.

You would lose your 6 disc changer.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 23rd September 2012
SaabNut!

One more thing, most double din headunits offer the ability to change the color of the backlighting of the keys. My Clarion and Pioneer both did, so matching the factory green was no problem.

Also, if you want satellite radio, try to use the factory antenna. It has much stronger reception compared with the ones that come with the Sirius/XM kits.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23rd September 2012

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2006 97-x 4.2i
Talking Audio

Give me your email, I will have allot of questions because this will be my first car where I make any sort of upgrades especially audio. Also when i replace my 6 cd changer, Do I have to install an amp? replace speakers? I really hope I don't.
Old 23rd September 2012
SaabNut!

You don't have to replace your speakers or add an amp. It should sound better if you do though. It all depends on what your goals are.

Tim

Old 24th September 2012

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 03 SS(Sold)

Great write up, I will look into this once I get my 9-7. I noticed the stock nave was real old and was wondering what others have done. I love the backup cam too...
Old 7th January 2013

Join Date: Dec 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Linear

Really cool write up. I am searching for a 9-7 for the wife, and hope to do something like this to it. I tried downloading the PDF to program the boot screen with the saab logo and the link is dead. Would you be able to post that somehow?
Old 13th January 2013
SaabNut!

The linked image file still works. Unless you have the exact same headunit, that pdf won't help at all. The owners manual for virtually every aftermarket headunit tells you how to replace the boot up screen with your custom logo.

Tim

Old 13th January 2013

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-7x 4.2L & 2011 Saab 9-5
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
The linked image file still works. Unless you have the exact same headunit, that pdf won't help at all. The owners manual for virtually every aftermarket headunit tells you how to replace the boot up screen with your custom logo.

Tim
Correct, this only for the headunit that I used. There may be newer and better headunits available for about the same price, especially since this post was done a while ago. Check with the seller to see if the image can be changed and how. The link is messed up somehow, so I attached the images if you decide to go with this older inexpensive Kenwood DNX6180 model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kenwood.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	33618   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	33619  
Old 18th April 2014

Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7X Altitude

Just posting a pic of my replacement head unit so there are more examples to look at: a Sony XAV-601BT. Followed the OP's guidelines for kits but had it professionally installed (with a cheap backup camera as well). Went with the Sony as I wanted a unit face USB option vs a cable run somewhere.

The sound is spectacularly better on this Bose system, sounds like a new car, and I've been told the BlueTooth sounds good on the receiving end of phone calls. One recommendation, make sure to turn down the GM adapter for the chimes, it boosts the db quite a bit otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2265
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	86793  
Old 9th May 2015

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '11 9-4x Aero, '05/'06 9-7x Linear/4.2i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabGlory View Post
Just posting a pic of my replacement head unit so there are more examples to look at: a Sony XAV-601BT. Followed the OP's guidelines for kits but had it professionally installed (with a cheap backup camera as well). Went with the Sony as I wanted a unit face USB option vs a cable run somewhere.

The sound is spectacularly better on this Bose system, sounds like a new car, and I've been told the BlueTooth sounds good on the receiving end of phone calls. One recommendation, make sure to turn down the GM adapter for the chimes, it boosts the db quite a bit otherwise.
Saab Glory,

It has been over a year, are you still happy with your Sony? They are selling the Sony XAV602BT now and my wife's factory radio just took a crap.

So if I understand everything I need:

1. Sony XAV602BT
2. Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter
3. Metra 95-3304 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2005-2006 GM/Chevrolet Vehicles
4. Axxess GMOS-04 Class II OnStar® Interface for Amplified Systems
5. MicroBypass Parking Brake Override Bypass for Sony
6. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Did I miss anything?

Any other recommended add ons?
Old 9th May 2015

Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7X Altitude

That looks right to me. I had it installed at a Best Buy (had previous work done by the crew and they did a good job), and one of the guys had pointed out that there was a less comprehensive GM Axxess adapter that would've worked for a little less money but I don't remember exactly which. So you may want to run by an installer and see what they recommend now and any tradeoffs for a lower cost model when it comes to the adapter, but the harness etc. worked like a charm (just remember to tweak the chime to a lower than factory default volume, it was insane).

Still love the unit, sounds great, and works great with the little backup camera still. Bluetooth connection to iPhone's been working with no issues, occasionally I'll have a software glitch with the usb connection (always powers the iPhone up just fine, but sometimes it'll stop cycling music (i'd say on average once a month I have that issue, and turn the phone off/on to fix). The installer routed the rear USB connection into the glove compartment, so I have the option of sticking another iPod/usb drive etc. on there out of site as well. The overhead DVD player unit functions through the AUX option, i thought there was a way to separate front speakers from the rear when kids are watching a DVD, but haven't been successful there so that's the only negative I've reached with the unit (and that's easily solved by just having the kids wear the headphones).

Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding it.
Old 10th May 2015

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '11 9-4x Aero, '05/'06 9-7x Linear/4.2i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabGlory View Post
That looks right to me. I had it installed at a Best Buy (had previous work done by the crew and they did a good job), and one of the guys had pointed out that there was a less comprehensive GM Axxess adapter that would've worked for a little less money but I don't remember exactly which. So you may want to run by an installer and see what they recommend now and any tradeoffs for a lower cost model when it comes to the adapter, but the harness etc. worked like a charm (just remember to tweak the chime to a lower than factory default volume, it was insane).

Still love the unit, sounds great, and works great with the little backup camera still. Bluetooth connection to iPhone's been working with no issues, occasionally I'll have a software glitch with the usb connection (always powers the iPhone up just fine, but sometimes it'll stop cycling music (i'd say on average once a month I have that issue, and turn the phone off/on to fix). The installer routed the rear USB connection into the glove compartment, so I have the option of sticking another iPod/usb drive etc. on there out of site as well. The overhead DVD player unit functions through the AUX option, i thought there was a way to separate front speakers from the rear when kids are watching a DVD, but haven't been successful there so that's the only negative I've reached with the unit (and that's easily solved by just having the kids wear the headphones).

Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding it.
Thank so much for the reply, my wife needs her tunes. I will place the order Today along with some other repair parts we need. No Best Buy here in Germany so I will have to reply on my local English speaking Mechanic. I'll also remember to tweak the chime to a lower than factory default volume.
The 9-7x is 10 years old with 120K Miles and so the wheel bearings, lower ball joints, and radio all decide to go at the same time.
Old 10th November 2016

Join Date: Nov 2016                                                

I just replaced my factory radio with a Kenwood DDX23BT and it was easy mine had OnStar and factory 6 cd Bose radio that was junk!!!. Parts used Kenwood DDX23BT or any radio you want but Kenwood is a little easier to deal with for me, Axxess ASWC-1 for the steering wheel control's, Axxess GMOS-04 to keep the OnStar and door chimes, Antenna adapter 40-GM10 and Metra 95-3304 mount kit. I got everything from Amazon the install was easy just followed directions step by step that came with the items and was done in about 2hrs or so.
Old 23rd December 2016

Join Date: Dec 2016                                                
Default Elmo

I just replace my 2008 Saab Nav unit with a flagship Kenwood dnx893s. Everything works fine, even watching dvds while driving using a kenwood microBypass parking brake override. The radio have dual zone, front and rear view camera, android auto and CarPlay; but steering wheel control that I can't get it to work. I used Gmos 04 that retained the onstar and chimes, installed Siriusxm add-on and used axxess Aswc-1. The gmos04 came with the Aswc-1 harness already integrated and I just plug the little box that came with the axxes aswc-1 that I bought separately. wonder if you people have issues like this and which wire color in the harness u use to connect to the radio steering wheel wire. Any help I'll be appreciated.
Old 7th February 2017

Join Date: Feb 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-7x

I really hope you are able to get your steering wheel controls figured out. I was wondering what you did with your factory unit? Do you still have it and are willing to sell it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement