rear swaybar vs full kit? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st November 2011

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
Default rear swaybar vs full kit?

http://www.sasab.com/-Sway-Bars-and-Kits-i2480.aspx

or just rear http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=2318

what you guys think would be best option for sporty handling?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st November 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 6 former Saabs

I'd go front and rear. SAS warns against just installing the rear and not the front as well. Could adversely affect handling.
Old 1st November 2011
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: BUICK: building a better Saab

All depends on what other supporting suspension mods and alignment you have.

A rear bar only on a stock base or Aero should be fine.allot of of front negative camber and a bigger rear bar you could have some low speed situations where the rear could come around.

Old 2nd November 2011

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 01 Aero Estate
Default In the same boat

I also am interested in the sway bar mods.
I have an 01 aero estate with bilstein's and HR springs. The Bilstein's were valves to suit the springs and our use but I stuns the car still has a lot of body roll. I have thought about bigger sway bars as per the sas site but they are so much bigger and I worry they will just be too much of a step up.
I always thought fed cars liked bigger rear bars, smaller frontsto help with traction and turn in?
Old 3rd November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9⁵ Aero 5spd | 1997 9000 Aero
Garage

I have both SAS sways, but only the rear installed. I intended on installing the front as well but the subframe drop is what holding me up a bit. I will say that adding the rear helped with understeer quite a bit. So much in fact that I'm really pleased with the way the car handles now with the lower springs and Konis...I may not ever install the front!

BTW that one from Ultra racing is too small at 20mm. The SAS one is 22mm for the rear, and I think it could actually be bigger. I know a guy with a mazdaspeed running a 26mm rear sway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 3rd November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+
Garage

I've got the 02+ Aero bars front and rear, and I've had the back come out during trail braking situations. Always in a way that is easy to handle, but I certainly wouldn't want to make it any more tail happy.

Stereo:
//

>>>
<<<
Old 3rd November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipud View Post
I've got the 02+ Aero bars front and rear, and I've had the back come out during trail braking situations. Always in a way that is easy to handle, but I certainly wouldn't want to make it any more tail happy.
Haven't ever broken loose breaking hard into a corner. Maybe I should be going in faster!

|
Old 3rd November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j006 View Post
Haven't ever broken loose breaking hard into a corner. Maybe I should be going in faster!
Yes, it's only been on the "oh **** I'm going way too fast" corners, where you really try to bleed off the speed as hard as possible. Actually handles really nice when you push the envelope. The oversteer is quite controllable, and the tail gently eases back in line without snapping. Only takes a very small amount of counter steer.

I have Bilsteins and Aero wagon springs (stiffer in the rear), so that would also make a difference as well.

Stereo:
//

>>>
<<<
Old 3rd November 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5, '73 99, 89 SPG

The rear is easy to get a used one. 2006+ all use an aero spec rear bar regardless of trim level. That ultra racing thing does not look like it will fit.
Old 4th November 2011

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 01 Aero Estate
Default Size issues

Well 1st I will apologise for the shocking iPad induced typo's in my last post.

I just worry that such a large front bar will cause understeer and picking up the inside wheel on tight corners. It's not expensive to buy the bars but it's a lot of time to get them sorted.

Hasn't anybody experimented?
Old 6th November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19016c View Post
The rear is easy to get a used one. 2006+ all use an aero spec rear bar regardless of trim level. That ultra racing thing does not look like it will fit.
Why because of the shape or diameter? The one from Ultra more closely resembles the factory one IMO..and its only 20mm The SAS is a different shape, but the connections to the end links end up in the same place, plus the bushings are poly...

|
Old 7th November 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 linear
Garage

Anybody have any pics or diagrams of install process?

Thanks!

Find us on Facebook!
facebook.com/groups/saabclubok/
facebook.com/groups/saabtx/
Old 7th November 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfromjets03 View Post
Anybody have any pics or diagrams of install process?

Thanks!
The rear is simple; hardest part is removing the end links from the original sway bar. The front requires, at the very least, loosening the rear of the subframe/rear engine mount/steering rack brace in order to slide the old one out and the new one in...

|
Old 9th November 2011

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 95 Aero estate MY02

I installed SAS front and rear antisway bars on my 9-5 Aero with Koni Yellows and Eibach springs. I must say I dont find it stiff at all. Its sure footed. I too ran with only the rear fitted for a couple of months. Rear was easy to install and the instructions from SAS fairly clear. But the front is another story as the subframe drop or lower is needed. Add to that the old antisway bar bolts might be rusted in place and can break upon removal so I just took it down to my Saab mechanic. He had it done in no time. No such problems as wheels lifting or extreme rigidty. Not a problem..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement