9-5 beyond stage 2, now what? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th October 2011

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5, stock
Default 9-5 beyond stage 2, now what?

So, got my saab sitting with a smbc from smart performance and boost controller. Also has open intake with stage 2 exhaust and ecu from Nordic on backorder through genuinesaab. But, I love to tinker with this car and keep little projects going in it for fun. So, I'm asking, with my car to be at stage 2 and all, what to do now? Injectors? If so what cc would work? Maybe intercooler and piping? And say someday down the road I want to swap this baby td03 for a gt35r or something... What would the engine need to have upgraded to handle boost levels going into the 20's psi range?

Links and answers please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuazey View Post
So, got my saab sitting with a smbc from smart performance and boost controller. Also has open intake with stage 2 exhaust and ecu from Nordic on backorder through genuinesaab. But, I love to tinker with this car and keep little projects going in it for fun. So, I'm asking, with my car to be at stage 2 and all, what to do now? Injectors? If so what cc would work? Maybe intercooler and piping? And say someday down the road I want to swap this baby td03 for a gt35r or something... What would the engine need to have upgraded to handle boost levels going into the 20's psi range?

Links and answers please!
Read the stickie at the top of the forum here, you have a lot to learn, first off SMBC is a no no on T7 Saabs
Old 15th October 2011
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

the smbc is not that good for tuning, i have the same one as you for real power get a stage 3 and keep going up, after stage 4 rebuild the engine with pistons, then your set to stage 4-5 well you need a bigger turbo for sure lol.

Old 15th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
Read the stickie at the top of the forum here, you have a lot to learn, first off SMBC is a no no on T7 Saabs
I've read the stickie, and it gives basic info on these stages but nothing specific like intercooler specs, injector size, and all that. Why wouldn't an smbc work on my 9-5? Says on smart performance its what I needed for my 05. I'm only 16, but a gear head in the making. Gotta learn somewhere...
Old 15th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 03 Aero Wagon 5 spd, 85 turbo 3dr 5 spd

If you're only 16 don't bother putting a dime into your car. You'll crash it or blow it up anyway. That's just how first cars go.
Old 15th October 2011
Banned

Quote:
I've read the stickie, and it gives basic info on these stages but nothing specific like intercooler specs, injector size, and all that. Why wouldn't an smbc work on my 9-5? Says on smart performance its what I needed for my 05. I'm only 16, but a gear head in the making. Gotta learn somewhere...

Because the way the saab T7 tronic system works it tunes down the extra boost from the valve gradually and it gave my car hiccups like randomly the revs would stock and go down slowly rough idle but hey its your car do your thing he has a disclaimer on his site saying hes not responsible for any damage caused to your car from the smbc.
Old 15th October 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
If you're only 16 don't bother putting a dime into your car. You'll crash it or blow it up anyway. That's just how first cars go.
Not true lol ive had my 9-5 for 3 years and its still going
Old 15th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
IT all depends on your tune regarding Injectors. Most staged tuned to stage III are good on staock injectors, only Nordic tuning requires uprated FPR...

Read the tuner's website or contact one...

There are only a few ICs that drop right in th erest are custom from Ebay whatever... you need to search to see what different people did
Old 15th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
IT all depends on your tune regarding Injectors. Most staged tuned to stage III are good on staock injectors, only Nordic tuning requires uprated FPR...

Read the tuner's website or contact one...

There are only a few ICs that drop right in th erest are custom from Ebay whatever... you need to search to see what different people did
Gotcha. I won't worry about injectors then and Ill just wait on an fmic till I find the right info and dimensions. I hate the t7... Overcomplicated!
Old 16th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Gotcha. I won't worry about injectors then and Ill just wait on an fmic till I find the right info and dimensions. I hate the t7... Overcomplicated!
Not over-complicated, its the most powerful stock engine management I have ever seen, it allows for squeezing unbelieveable Tq/HP out of a small motor and give great gas milage at the same time...

WHenever I get mine dyno'd the guy freaks at how close to the line the tune is, he wants to stop the runs saying "its going too lean, it will pop" and I tell em jsut do it and watch, he is amazed at the control we have over the RPM range to ride the Stoich line... most other eninges just dump fuel and hope for the best ours ( if your tune is set up that way ) makes 1000 readings a second and adjusts the maps to over 1000 different parameters based on what's going on, that's amazing...for a stock set up...
Old 16th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 linear
Garage

Quote:

thats a rash generalization. and to fight fire with fire don't most of those dumb kids drive Hondas and Hyundais?

my 9-5 is my first car, and I haven't blown it up, crashed it, or damaged it in any way. it's been 4 years now.

Find us on Facebook!
facebook.com/groups/saabclubok/
facebook.com/groups/saabtx/
Old 16th October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 V6 Stage 3 :)

My 9-5 keeps getting better looking not more totaled looking so I have to disagree as well.
Old 16th October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 V6 Stage 3 :)

I have to say though, this car will definitely give you a run for your money as a "gear head in the making"
Old 21st October 2011

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO
Garage
Default Stage 4

I am building custom 9-5 using stage 4 software upgrade.

Current Custom & other Upgrades:

Stage 4 Maptun Software ONly
Custom 3" Exhaust painted Black, Downpipe Wrapped in titanium wrap
LED Foglights
HID Headlights
Green Giant Injectors
Bigger Snorkel for Filter (K&N)
Sport Auto Tranny mount
(titel is incorrect for the video, it's just the overview of the exterior)
Custom Painted Grill

Future upgrades:
INtercooler and Bigger Turbo with Internal wastegate (Ford style) 5 bolt to 3" V-Band Flange
MAF Inlet Pipe from intercooler (3")
Guages Custom fitted in the left side vent (see pic) working on it
Bigger Turbo inlet Pipe
Upgraded Rotors and pads
Tinted windows (lol)
Suspension
Manual Transmission

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1st November 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: C900

Quote:
Sadly cark is right, Everybody trashes there first car (Me included)

Manual boost controllers are a bad idea, and MBC coupled with an owner that likes to crank up said MBC causes motors to blow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement