2003 Saab 9-5 V6 blown head gasket - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

Notices

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2019                                                
Default 2003 Saab 9-5 V6 blown head gasket

I bought this car for my son. I didn’t know there was a history of problems with blown head gasket’s. Couple of questions for you folks smarter than me 🙂 and I’m sure there are many. Is there anybody reputable and reasonably price, in the Melbourne Florida area?
Also is there a YouTube video on how to do it? I’m pretty handy I replace my intake manifold on my 1999 grand marquis via a YouTube video. Just don’t have experience working on Saab’s.
Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE V6

I never heard of any issues with 3.0 head gaskets. I drove mine for 273K miles with no issues.

I wonder if the engine overheated at one point. That can cause issues.

The 3.0 is a simple GM engine used in Saabs, Opels, Saturns, and Cadillacs so any mechanic should be able to do the job.

If you are doing both heads, now would be the time to replace the O-ring on the oil filter blank on the front side of the engine. Maybe a crankshaft position sensor too as they go out every 75K.

Of course, a new timing belt kit would be in order. Make sure you replace all 3 bearings, not just the belt. There are two different tensioners and if the one you get doesn't fit, just swab the bearings and you will be fine.

I retired my Saab last year and I have an extra V6 turbo that I got off a scrapped Saab (condition unknown, but it spins). Yours for the taking if you want it. Just pay postage.
Old 3 Days Ago

Join Date: Jan 2019                                                

Are you sure it's the head gasket? What symptoms are you seeing? The head gaskets in 2001 - 2003 9-5 V6 models are known to be much stronger than the previous model years.

If it's oil mixed with your coolant, that's probably the oil cooler. If it's coolant mixed with your oil, that's also most likely the oil cooler. If you're seeing white exhaust and smelling coolant in the exhaust, then yes - that leans toward head gasket.

Coincidentally, I'm doing the head gaskets on my V6 here in the next week or two (starting tomorrow, going however long it takes). But mine is the 1999 model year, and the gaskets on this one are known to fail sometimes. I have the coolant in exhaust smell. I'll be trying to video the process, because there isn't one on YouTube that I can find.

If Bleau isn't interested in that extra V6 turbo unit, I certainly am.

Old 3 Days Ago

Hey thanks so much for your reply! I took it to another mechanic one that I found to be very trustworthy and he said he believe there was no issues with the head gasket so looks like I got bad information. It overheated before because The oil cooler went bad but that has since been replaced as well as the radiator so it seems to be driving and functioning properly. Fingers crossed she keeps on trucking drives like a dream idols smoother than my new car :-)
Old 3 Days Ago

Yeah it was the oil cooler that went bad but all issues have been addressed. Oil cooler replaced, new radiator, and the lady that worked on it you’re very sharp mechanic flush the system at least 8 to 10 times she said to get the remaining oil out of the system. The car idols very smooth now no overheating issues. And you’re welcome to take The V-6 turbo I’m all set. Thanks for taking the time to answer my concerns!
Old 13 Hours Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androda View Post
Are you sure it's the head gasket? What symptoms are you seeing? The head gaskets in 2001 - 2003 9-5 V6 models are known to be much stronger than the previous model years.

If it's oil mixed with your coolant, that's probably the oil cooler. If it's coolant mixed with your oil, that's also most likely the oil cooler. If you're seeing white exhaust and smelling coolant in the exhaust, then yes - that leans toward head gasket.

Coincidentally, I'm doing the head gaskets on my V6 here in the next week or two (starting tomorrow, going however long it takes). But mine is the 1999 model year, and the gaskets on this one are known to fail sometimes. I have the coolant in exhaust smell. I'll be trying to video the process, because there isn't one on YouTube that I can find.

If Bleau isn't interested in that extra V6 turbo unit, I certainly am.
I tried to send you a Private Message, but it states you are not accepting them. I will need an address. It is free, all you have to do is pay for shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement