2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Exhaust Issues - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

Notices

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2018                                                
Question 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Exhaust Issues

Okay So I have had issues with the catalyst clogging up my cats so i had them hallowed out but I think some went to the resonator. and I think that now, because i thought i didnt get it all out of the cats but I just straight piped the car and made sure the cat at the manifold was hallowed for a fact and cut out the middle cat and muffler. I removed them because my car has been having these stalls and misfire like jerks when accelerating or @ idle especially when its extra hot outside/ raining/ or when car warms up + gets twice as bad when AC is on. But despite taking the cats and muffler out it still does it, and Iím not sure if the car is supposed to do the burbling (backfires) through the exhaust but the resanator is restricting the air flow so it wont? or would I need to straight pipe it all the way for the burbling? If I buy a new resonator Im pretty sure my problem will be solved but Iím wanting to know if i buy a new one will there be the backfires? Or if i want that, to just cut out the resonator and straight pipe the entire thing. I ask because i dont wanna sound like a honda down the highway, I have 2.3L 4Cyl Turbo

Recap:
New resonator will solve my stalling and misfire problem?
- but if I put a new resonator will there be backfiring or burbling out the exhaust without the cat or muffler ?
- if the burbling or backfiring is what I want should I just straight pipe the entire thing and just cut out the resonator? And what is the risk of my car sounding like a Honda if i do that?

Let me know if anyone has tried the differences between the two

Either reply here or it would be better to tell me where you got my number and just text it to me instead that would be easier thanks!
813-255-6915
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Garage

Oh boy.....
First things first, how do you actually know your cat was clogged? What tests were done to show an exhaust related restriction between the cat and rear muffler? If the cat indeed was clogged, you should fix what the original issue was that caused that to happen FIRST. Just chopping things off for the sake of skirting around a larger issue is pretty counter productive in my opinion....

Okay, so if you want to straight pipe the car, it will be loud, it will drone due to the harmonics of the engine. NOW, I've deleted my resonator, the turbo itself acts as a resonator as well so the sound isn't that bad. It won't sound like a Honda. It does burble (similar to a Subaru Boxer engine, but not as pronounced). Unless you're dumping copious amounts of fuel, something is really wrong with the car, or you're mega tuned to the point where the engine components have pretty ALL been upgraded and you're getting 500 WHP out of the car.... You won't get any backfiring, popping etc.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
Oh boy.....
First things first, how do you actually know your cat was clogged? What tests were done to show an exhaust related restriction between the cat and rear muffler? If the cat indeed was clogged, you should fix what the original issue was that caused that to happen FIRST. Just chopping things off for the sake of skirting around a larger issue is pretty counter productive in my opinion....

Okay, so if you want to straight pipe the car, it will be loud, it will drone due to the harmonics of the engine. NOW, I've deleted my resonator, the turbo itself acts as a resonator as well so the sound isn't that bad. It won't sound like a Honda. It does burble (similar to a Subaru Boxer engine, but not as pronounced). Unless you're dumping copious amounts of fuel, something is really wrong with the car, or you're mega tuned to the point where the engine components have pretty ALL been upgraded and you're getting 500 WHP out of the car.... You won't get any backfiring, popping etc.
I was losing performance power to the car so I had the cats cut open and the honeycomb was falling out like thick dust. I suspected they hadnt been hallowed completely as later on problems persisted. But cutting off the muffler was entirely elective. I figured just getting rid of the cat would be process of elimination because with the symptoms being due I was almost sure something was/ is clogged. i didnt originally go to take the resonator out because I was being cautious of a possible obnoxious honda sound. But if you say you straight piped yours with no cats, resonator or muffler and since the turbo acts as one in a way that may be my next step.

Old 3 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain203 View Post
I was losing performance power to the car so I had the cats cut open and the honeycomb was falling out like thick dust. I suspected they hadnt been hallowed completely as later on problems persisted. But cutting off the muffler was entirely elective. I figured just getting rid of the cat would be process of elimination because with the symptoms being due I was almost sure something was/ is clogged. i didnt originally go to take the resonator out because I was being cautious of a possible obnoxious honda sound. But if you say you straight piped yours with no cats, resonator or muffler and since the turbo acts as one in a way that may be my next step.
I have the cat still but no resonator. I still have the stock muffler.

Last edited by Nocturne; 3 Days Ago at 02:08 AM.
Old 2 Days Ago

Question

Quote:
I have the cat still but no resonator. I still have the stock muffler.
https://youtu.be/ljsJOCpbrBg
https://youtu.be/3W-nMEvY19k
Alright so considering my current set up;
-First cat hallowed
-middle cat deleted
-muffler deleted

If I were to remove my resonator it would sound similar to the video links you sent but louder?
Are your cats hallowed?
Does yours drone?
Old 2 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Alright so considering my current set up;
-First cat hallowed
-middle cat deleted
-muffler deleted

If I were to remove my resonator it would sound similar to the video links you sent but louder?
Are your cats hallowed?
Does yours drone?
Mine has no drone at all. Cruising, you can't tell anything has been done. My cats are stock since I care about the environment and don't need to be pulled over roadside on a spot inspection to have my car pulled off the road. If you completely straight pipe the car, it'll be annoyingly loud with constant drone. The resonator cancels out some of the harmonics that cause drone and it works in conjunction with the muffler. So, one of 2 things to do. Delete the muffler and leave the resonator (which will be loud and there will be drone at highway speeds), or delete the resonator and put the stock muffler back on (which is how I'm running my car).
Old 2 Days Ago

Question

Quote:
Mine has no drone at all. Cruising, you can't tell anything has been done. My cats are stock since I care about the environment and don't need to be pulled over roadside on a spot inspection to have my car pulled off the road. If you completely straight pipe the car, it'll be annoyingly loud with constant drone. The resonator cancels out some of the harmonics that cause drone and it works in conjunction with the muffler. So, one of 2 things to do. Delete the muffler and leave the resonator (which will be loud and there will be drone at highway speeds), or delete the resonator and put the stock muffler back on (which is how I'm running my car).
See thats what I have now (no muffler w/ resonator) but it doesnt burble, should it? Thats another reason on top of the stalls that I suspect my resonator is clogged. So if I take the resonator off and put the muffler back on it will burble from what youíre telling me, correct?
Old 2 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
See thats what I have now (no muffler w/ resonator) but it doesnt burble, should it? Thats another reason on top of the stalls that I suspect my resonator is clogged. So if I take the resonator off and put the muffler back on it will burble from what youíre telling me, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement