2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Exhaust Issues - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

Notices

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 3 Days Ago
Cain203 Cain203 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018                                                
Posts: 7
Question 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Exhaust Issues

Okay So I have had issues with the catalyst clogging up my cats so i had them hallowed out but I think some went to the resonator. and I think that now, because i thought i didnt get it all out of the cats but I just straight piped the car and made sure the cat at the manifold was hallowed for a fact and cut out the middle cat and muffler. I removed them because my car has been having these stalls and misfire like jerks when accelerating or @ idle especially when its extra hot outside/ raining/ or when car warms up + gets twice as bad when AC is on. But despite taking the cats and muffler out it still does it, and Iím not sure if the car is supposed to do the burbling (backfires) through the exhaust but the resanator is restricting the air flow so it wont? or would I need to straight pipe it all the way for the burbling? If I buy a new resonator Im pretty sure my problem will be solved but Iím wanting to know if i buy a new one will there be the backfires? Or if i want that, to just cut out the resonator and straight pipe the entire thing. I ask because i dont wanna sound like a honda down the highway, I have 2.3L 4Cyl Turbo

Recap:
New resonator will solve my stalling and misfire problem?
- but if I put a new resonator will there be backfiring or burbling out the exhaust without the cat or muffler ?
- if the burbling or backfiring is what I want should I just straight pipe the entire thing and just cut out the resonator? And what is the risk of my car sounding like a Honda if i do that?

Let me know if anyone has tried the differences between the two

Either reply here or it would be better to tell me where you got my number and just text it to me instead that would be easier thanks!
813-255-6915
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 3 Days Ago
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is online now
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Posts: 2,130
Garage
Default

Oh boy.....
First things first, how do you actually know your cat was clogged? What tests were done to show an exhaust related restriction between the cat and rear muffler? If the cat indeed was clogged, you should fix what the original issue was that caused that to happen FIRST. Just chopping things off for the sake of skirting around a larger issue is pretty counter productive in my opinion....

Okay, so if you want to straight pipe the car, it will be loud, it will drone due to the harmonics of the engine. NOW, I've deleted my resonator, the turbo itself acts as a resonator as well so the sound isn't that bad. It won't sound like a Honda. It does burble (similar to a Subaru Boxer engine, but not as pronounced). Unless you're dumping copious amounts of fuel, something is really wrong with the car, or you're mega tuned to the point where the engine components have pretty ALL been upgraded and you're getting 500 WHP out of the car.... You won't get any backfiring, popping etc.
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 3 Days Ago
Cain203 Cain203 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018                                                
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
Oh boy.....
First things first, how do you actually know your cat was clogged? What tests were done to show an exhaust related restriction between the cat and rear muffler? If the cat indeed was clogged, you should fix what the original issue was that caused that to happen FIRST. Just chopping things off for the sake of skirting around a larger issue is pretty counter productive in my opinion....

Okay, so if you want to straight pipe the car, it will be loud, it will drone due to the harmonics of the engine. NOW, I've deleted my resonator, the turbo itself acts as a resonator as well so the sound isn't that bad. It won't sound like a Honda. It does burble (similar to a Subaru Boxer engine, but not as pronounced). Unless you're dumping copious amounts of fuel, something is really wrong with the car, or you're mega tuned to the point where the engine components have pretty ALL been upgraded and you're getting 500 WHP out of the car.... You won't get any backfiring, popping etc.
I was losing performance power to the car so I had the cats cut open and the honeycomb was falling out like thick dust. I suspected they hadnt been hallowed completely as later on problems persisted. But cutting off the muffler was entirely elective. I figured just getting rid of the cat would be process of elimination because with the symptoms being due I was almost sure something was/ is clogged. i didnt originally go to take the resonator out because I was being cautious of a possible obnoxious honda sound. But if you say you straight piped yours with no cats, resonator or muffler and since the turbo acts as one in a way that may be my next step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 3 Days Ago
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is online now
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Posts: 2,130
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain203 View Post
I was losing performance power to the car so I had the cats cut open and the honeycomb was falling out like thick dust. I suspected they hadnt been hallowed completely as later on problems persisted. But cutting off the muffler was entirely elective. I figured just getting rid of the cat would be process of elimination because with the symptoms being due I was almost sure something was/ is clogged. i didnt originally go to take the resonator out because I was being cautious of a possible obnoxious honda sound. But if you say you straight piped yours with no cats, resonator or muffler and since the turbo acts as one in a way that may be my next step.
I have the cat still but no resonator. I still have the stock muffler.
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded

Last edited by Nocturne; 3 Days Ago at 02:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 2 Days Ago
Cain203 Cain203 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018                                                
Posts: 7
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
I have the cat still but no resonator. I still have the stock muffler.
https://youtu.be/ljsJOCpbrBg
https://youtu.be/3W-nMEvY19k
Alright so considering my current set up;
-First cat hallowed
-middle cat deleted
-muffler deleted

If I were to remove my resonator it would sound similar to the video links you sent but louder?
Are your cats hallowed?
Does yours drone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 2 Days Ago
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is online now
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Posts: 2,130
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain203 View Post
Alright so considering my current set up;
-First cat hallowed
-middle cat deleted
-muffler deleted

If I were to remove my resonator it would sound similar to the video links you sent but louder?
Are your cats hallowed?
Does yours drone?
Mine has no drone at all. Cruising, you can't tell anything has been done. My cats are stock since I care about the environment and don't need to be pulled over roadside on a spot inspection to have my car pulled off the road. If you completely straight pipe the car, it'll be annoyingly loud with constant drone. The resonator cancels out some of the harmonics that cause drone and it works in conjunction with the muffler. So, one of 2 things to do. Delete the muffler and leave the resonator (which will be loud and there will be drone at highway speeds), or delete the resonator and put the stock muffler back on (which is how I'm running my car).
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 2 Days Ago
Cain203 Cain203 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018                                                
Posts: 7
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
Mine has no drone at all. Cruising, you can't tell anything has been done. My cats are stock since I care about the environment and don't need to be pulled over roadside on a spot inspection to have my car pulled off the road. If you completely straight pipe the car, it'll be annoyingly loud with constant drone. The resonator cancels out some of the harmonics that cause drone and it works in conjunction with the muffler. So, one of 2 things to do. Delete the muffler and leave the resonator (which will be loud and there will be drone at highway speeds), or delete the resonator and put the stock muffler back on (which is how I'm running my car).
See thats what I have now (no muffler w/ resonator) but it doesnt burble, should it? Thats another reason on top of the stalls that I suspect my resonator is clogged. So if I take the resonator off and put the muffler back on it will burble from what youíre telling me, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 2 Days Ago
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is online now
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Posts: 2,130
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain203 View Post
See thats what I have now (no muffler w/ resonator) but it doesnt burble, should it? Thats another reason on top of the stalls that I suspect my resonator is clogged. So if I take the resonator off and put the muffler back on it will burble from what youíre telling me, correct?
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 2007 9.3 Aero OEM Exhaust Tips Abarth Parts for Sale/Wanted - North America 2 5th February 2016 08:40 PM
For Sale: 2008 9-3 Aero CAT. BACK DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM... Rennsport1 Parts for Sale/Wanted - North America 10 19th March 2010 09:17 AM
2007 9-3 aero or 2007 9-5 aero!? Motelsix66 The Lounge 29 27th January 2010 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.