2003 9-5 AC Compressor Clutch - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

Notices

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3 Auto B234 block E85Biopower
Default 2003 9-5 AC Compressor Clutch

The AC compressor is not kicking in, according to the tech2 the DICE is not sending it the signal. Also according to the tech2 high side pressure is only 6.2 bar (88 psi) so I'm guessing it's lost a bunch of R134 over the winter and isn't
allowing the compressor on. (I have to add R134 a few times a season so this is not surprising.)

The clutch coil measures 4.9 ohms so that seems OK. I can hook up a can of of R134 with the gauges but it's not going in without the compressor going.

I tried hot-wiring the coil direct from the battery, passing through a current limiting resistor of 120 ohms so as to not fry the coil. The resistor got warm but it does not actuate the clutch.

Any suggestions? Lower value resistor? Or is there a way to force it on through the tech2? I didn't see one.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago
SaabNut!

After more research I hotwired the clutch directly, that worked to get the compressor going. I used the tech2 to force the high radiator fan on. So far so good. The high side, per the tech2, hit 20 bar, about 290 psi, outside temp about 72 degrees. That high of a pressure made me a little nervous so I shut everything down. It did start to cool off though. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks.
Old 2 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Well just in case it helps someone in the future, DICE had suddenly and without provocation set AC to Off. I've not had my tech2 out of the case this year and I've never gone into the areas of it that deal with this so I know I didn't turn it off by accident. No idea how/why it happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement