OG 9-3 AERO / SE Low Springs for Stiffness - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: Feb 2019                                                
Default OG 9-3 AERO / SE Low Springs for Stiffness

My OG 9-3 Aero has a ton of body roll / leaning a lot in the corners. I have done the piggyback ARB mod today, and there is some sort of improvement, the car still leans, almost the same as far as i could tell, but now the front is more "planted" and i feel that it does not understeer as much as before - which is cool for a $10 mod.

But i want to take it a step further (still on a budget). I'm thinking some lowered / stiffer springs would make the car stiffer in the corners and not make it lean that much.

So i wanted to ask if anyone tried this - upgrading the springs only and keeping the stock dampers (i have brand new sachs dampers). I have read somewhere that this solution would be underdamped...

Also, which springs would be best for this? Eibach? Something other brand maybe? And are they just lower or are they also stiffer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: '97 900SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon

I did that, and I thought the car handled just fine. It was definitely an improvement over stock. I used Abbott Racing springs and Bilstein B4 strut inserts in the front and stock Sachs shocks in the back. After a while I swapped out the rear springs and shocks with stock Viggen parts after the Abbott springs sagged enough that there was almost no gap between the tops of the tires and the fender. Abbott springs are fairly expensive compared to Eibachs, but they don't lower the car as much. I've had them for over 15 years, but it's still disappointing that the rears sagged.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
I did that, and I thought the car handled just fine. It was definitely an improvement over stock. I used Abbott Racing springs and Bilstein B4 strut inserts in the front and stock Sachs shocks in the back. After a while I swapped out the rear springs and shocks with stock Viggen parts after the Abbott springs sagged enough that there was almost no gap between the tops of the tires and the fender. Abbott springs are fairly expensive compared to Eibachs, but they don't lower the car as much. I've had them for over 15 years, but it's still disappointing that the rears sagged.

In terms of stiffness, what did that spring upgrade do to the car? Was it stiffer when cornering? Also did it get more bouncy or uncomfortable over bumps or uneven surfaces?

Old 3 Days Ago
Saab on the Brain!

The car's definitely stiffer and flatter when cornering. If anything it's less bouncy, but it is more uncomfortable, just because you feel every little thing in the road. It's not unpleasant, and I enjoy driving it, but my 9-5 Aero is pretty cushy in comparison, and a friend's base model 9-3 with 15" wheels rides like a Cadillac compared to mine. I've always wanted to drive a hardtop Viggen just to see how the factory high-performance model compares, but I haven't gotten the chance yet. I will say that when I installed the Viggen rear springs, the back end lost some of its "crashiness" over railroad tracks and freeway joints. It also sits nearly an inch higher than it did, which I'm sure helps.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
The car's definitely stiffer and flatter when cornering. If anything it's less bouncy, but it is more uncomfortable, just because you feel every little thing in the road. It's not unpleasant, and I enjoy driving it, but my 9-5 Aero is pretty cushy in comparison, and a friend's base model 9-3 with 15" wheels rides like a Cadillac compared to mine. I've always wanted to drive a hardtop Viggen just to see how the factory high-performance model compares, but I haven't gotten the chance yet. I will say that when I installed the Viggen rear springs, the back end lost some of its "crashiness" over railroad tracks and freeway joints. It also sits nearly an inch higher than it did, which I'm sure helps.

I expected it to be a bit more uncomfortable, considering that right now it rides like you said, like a Cadillac, like a boat, really smooth even over speed bumps, but really really soft in the corners.

So just to be 100% sure, you used the stock shocks / dampers and replaced the original springs with lowered ones (30-40 mm lower).
Old 3 Days Ago
Saab on the Brain!

I used shocks/dampers that were at least equivalent to the stock ones (Bilstein B4 in front, stock in the rear). Abbott Racing springs aren't as low as others, so they didn't lower the car 30-40 mm. It was probably closer to 25 mm.
Old 3 Days Ago

thanks, all clear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement