New to me 9-5 Wagon - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

Notices

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: Nov 2018                                                
My Saabs: 99' 9-5
Default New to me 9-5 Wagon

Just got this 9-5 auto for $300, it sat for a long time and I decided to try and save it. The rear hatch glass is shattered so it is a bugfest in there haha.
It has engine knock or lifter tick. The heater control valve is bad and it does not have the PCV update. I plan to replace those and hopefully address the knock. Otherwise, the body is super clean, no appearent rust and interior should clean up nicely as well.

here she is!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 900SE Turbo, 2001 9-5 Aero 5dr

Looks like you have some Saab experience under your belt. I'll be the first one on here to suggest everything you'll want to do...

Drop the oil pan & clean. Make sure to order the 3 o-rings needed.

I would take of the valve cover to have a look, so ordering a valve cover gasket probably isn't a bad move.

While you're at it, the oil pressure switch is often the cause of oil leaks on these cars. Probably want to replace it as well to avoid future frustration.

Not sure if you've used car-part.com before, but they are a great resource for sourcing used parts, such as interior door panels or an entire rear hatch if the glass replacement is costly.

Lifter tick may clear up after an oil change. If it were up to me, I would probably drain oil, drop the oil pan, clean that out, take off the valve cover & pour good oil over the lifters, refill with oil and see how she sounds. When dropping the oil pan, you may discover the rod knock in the form of metallic bearing material in the pan, in which case you'll be shopping a new motor.

The PCV update can wait until after you get it started and get rid of the noise. No sense in spending the money just yet if the motor is fubar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement