Power Steering Line - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: Feb 2014                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 2.0T
Default Power Steering Line

I've got a nasty power steering leak. I'm going through roughly a quart of fluid a week. I'm assuming its a high pressure line because of the amount of fluid lost. From the research I've done so far, the line that runs around the front of the car is the usual suspect, however I have fluid puddling on the frame rails by the fire wall and under the rack on the drivers side. Anyone have an idea of which hose it is, or what part number? The diagram on the eSaabParts site is kind of wonky to follow. My guess would be #12 in the link below. Thanks in advance.

https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=462059736
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

I'd bet its the return line from the rack to reservoir (while its not under the same pressure as the pre rack line, its still under significant pressure and will quickly lose fluid).

I find the end of the hose goes hard and cracks that along with the clamp rusting and loosening leads to a significant leak.

I normally just cut off the last inch of the line and reinstall with a new hose clamp, that should take care of it, you can replace the whole line, you'll want to order one specific to that application since the hose is a molded and a different diameter at each end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2018                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9 3 SE

Might be where the leak is although in my 99 the hose wore out upon the passenger side of the radiator here it as rubbing against the frame. it sprayed everywhere. Is your serpentine belt wet? I think you have a 2006 9 3? If so, the hose you are looking at would seemto be the wrong part number. If you can download Saab EPS you can put your model in and comeup with the right part number. Alternatively you should be able to go to ESaab parts, Eeuro Parts or FCP euro and put in your VIN number to get the right part #. Here is a link for where to get WIS and EPS: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

Old 5 Days Ago

I haven't updated my bio yet but I have an 02 9-3 SE. Initially thought it was a return line since it continues to drip when parked but it has since gotten worse. I'll try to get it up in the air. I hope its just the return and not a pressure hose.
Old 5 Days Ago

I'll give the belt a look as well but last time I cleaned the engine bay (last week) I did not see any wetness to any of the belts.
Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2018                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9 3 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinSaab View Post
I haven't updated my bio yet but I have an 02 9-3 SE. Initially thought it was a return line since it continues to drip when parked but it has since gotten worse. I'll try to get it up in the air. I hope its just the return and not a pressure hose.

Ah, that explains it. I looked it up in EPS and that is the right part number. Jake's point about cutting the hose a bit is a good one that worked for me once but if you do order the paart new ( a wee bit pricey)don't forget the o ring on the other end.
Old 4 Days Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9 'vert; '01 9 5d & parts car;

I give high odds it’s Jakes solution you need. I put this off for a long time during the winter because I thought it was the real high pressure line back there and that looked like a major PITA outside in the winter. So I wasted lots of money on overpriced chf 11 & 202. All I needed was this repair.

The good news is that my PS fluid is flushed to new status.

Remove the strut bar. Loosen the fuse box and pull it out of the way. Remove clamp, cut hose, re-clamp. Replace removed stuff. Done.

Last edited by BobSaabit; 4 Days Ago at 01:09 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago

I'll get a look at the return line today hopefully. I guess it can't hurt to start with the free/cheap fix first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement