Trunk alarm problem cured - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th March 2007

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1972 "96", 1999 9-5 V-6, 2006 9-3 2.0T
Thumbs up Trunk alarm problem cured

Hello. Ever since new, the alarm would go off when opening the trunk lid on my 2006 9-3 2.0T. The only cure was to unlock the doors first, then unlock the trunk. Adjusting the springs for greater tension, and adjusting the trunk latch catch tighter did not solve the problem.

The issue here is that when you add weight to the trunk lid, like a rear spoiler, or additional sound deadening, (or perhaps snow and ice) the trunk will not spring open quickly enough or far enough for the alarm system to realize that the trunk lid is open and take the trunk lid out of the alarm circuit. So, the alarm sounds, thinking the trunk has been broken into.

The cure is easy....sort of. If you own a 2003 or 2004 you will see holes already drilled in the lid for rubber bumpers. These bumpers are located in the corners on the same axis as the trunk latch. (Not near the window). Go to your dealer and order the spring loaded plunger type bumpers that are used on the Saab Convertible. Screw them in almost to the end of their travel, so that the spring is fully compressed when the trunk is closed. They will push the trunk lid up immediately upon release. End of problem.

However, and here is the sort of part....If you own a 2005 and later, Saab no longer has the holes drilled. There is still a marker as to where the holes were though. I ended up drilling the holes....and a small notch for starting the thread of the spring loaded bumper. If you want to see what this looks like, go to the front of the car, and open the hood. There are two rubber bumpers, one mounted at each corner. Measure the height that it is set at so you can get it back in at the same adjustment, then take one out to look at the hole and the notch.

The drilling is messy, as there are a lot of metal shavings that come off. But with a little ingenuity, you can rig a way to catch all the shavings, both outside the trunk lid and inside. If anyone would like a more detailed description of how I drilled this, let me know via a post, and I will be glad to decribe it in detail. The whole job, taking extra care not to scratch anything, took about an hour.

Bottom line is, once this modification is done, the trunk alarm function operates perfectly. Push the button on the remote for the trunk release only, and the trunk pops open, no alarm ringing. Also, when you close the trunk lid, the alarm re-arms itself, just like it is supposed to, time after time.

AMF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th March 2007

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS - Metallic Black

Great!
Thanks for that. I am going to tackle that this weekend.
Cheers
Old 31st March 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Formerly, 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Please tell us the part number for the bumpers.

Old 2nd April 2007

Cool alarm problem cured

Hello SBL.

I called the Dealer to try to get the part number for you. The answer he gave me is very strange. I was told: "There is no part number". "If you call your Dealer and have him order it from the parts help line, Saab will send it at no charge". "Have the Dealer ask for John or Jack"........so I said, but the convertible uses these same bumper/plungers......and the reply was.....I don't know! In any event, all I paid was shipping from the Dealer to me.

If your car is a 2003 9-3 (or a 2004), it takes less than two minutes to install these bumper/plungers, and it cures the problem of the alarm going off when you open the trunk. I have had mine installed for about two weeks...... (2006 9-3), with not one false alarm.

I know "there is no part number" seems to be a reply that makes no sense, but give it a try. Good Luck

AMF
Old 10th April 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc 6M

I picked these up today at Charles River Saab. The part number is 12-833-991 and I paid $9.12 each. I'll be installing them later today.
Old 12th April 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc 6M

OK I installed the bumpers. I'm glad I have an '03, because it would have been a pain to drill the holes. The install definitely solved the alarm problem, but what I wish these bumpers did was to pop the trunk up enough so that it would open all the way (and stay open). I tried adjusting the spring tension but that didn't really do anything. Any ideas?
Old 13th April 2007

Cool Trunk lid

Hello... I also had tightened the spring tension as much as possible, with the same results as you acheived. I was hoping that tightening the spring tension....and making the latch as tight as possible would eliminate the false alarms. No such luck. The only thing that worked was installing the little plungers. (And you are right. Drilling the holes was somewhat of a pain....but I have done more difficult projects though...with less satisfactory results!....So, as long as the end result is a success....which it was in this case, the effort was worth it.)

By the way, most of the trunk lids that I have seen that pop open all the way, use torsion bars....not springs. I don't think you will find a way to pop the trunk lid open any more than just enough to keep the alarm from going off without cause. Having a trunk lid that stays up would be nice. The springs on the 9-3 are either very weak, or at the wrong angle to hold the lid securely up. Even cars that use the little struts....like the convertible for example, don't pop the lid up.

AMF
Old 6th December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3t (OOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnat
I picked these up today at Charles River Saab. The part number is 12-833-991 and I paid $9.12 each. I'll be installing them later today.
does anyone know if that is the right P/N, i can't seem to find these things online...
Old 7th December 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3t (OOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhurlburt
does anyone know if that is the right P/N, i can't seem to find these things online...
back up top, looking for the P/N or a picture. I have this problem on my car...
Old 7th December 2007

Thumbs up Trunk alarm cure

Hello.

The p/n for the little rubber plunger is Saab # 12 833 991. This is exactly the same assist plunger that is used in the Saab Convertible (probably all recent years) The list price is $7.60 each from your Saab Dealer.

AMF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement