Rear bumper skin repair - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Auto Detailing & Body Repairs

Auto Detailing & Body Repairs Discussions about auto interior & exterior detailing, products and autobody repairs.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th February 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey 05 Aero automatic 02 Saab 9-3
Garage
Default Rear bumper skin repair

08 9-5 black.....

How difficult is it to blend paint into existing paint? I thought about just taking the skin off and getting it professionally done. I’m guessing that will be 3-400.00. Areas are at corners.
Or with my DIY cost saving mind, sand, mask off the areas, fill, and get a can of stock black to spray. I’m just assessing my options, the former being the best outcome, the latter being more difficult to spot?
I’m good with a rattle can, but then there is the gloss factor as well. Appreciate the input. Even if I could prep the areas first before taking it somewhere, what would I need?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4607BBF7-A00D-4442-A42A-809F4F539F25_1550093186324.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	250714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD92E5B8-1DB6-4A93-ACE9-F29B2F846761_1550093262305.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	250716  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th February 2019
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 Combi; '08 9-3 4D;'08 9-5 4D

You could DIY. A few points: the bumper is flexible and cracked the paint so it must be sanded down to the substrate. You'll need a flex agent mixed with the paints (primer, color, clear) to do it right - which a rattle can won't have - but a body shop would have. If you decide to DIY and assuming yours is a stock Saab black, buy a Duplicolor black mica paint, it has fine flakes in it which will better match the stock Saab black. To blend it, spray the black and gradually fade it away from the body worked area. Then, clear coat it overlapping the black and extending it a little further. Then, spray a blending solvent (available in rattle cans from a body shop supplier) following the directions exactly. You'll spray the blending solvent at the edge of the clear coat where it fades away. The solvent softens and flattens the orange peel/dried dust-like edge of the clear, "melting" it into the surrounding finish. Once it hardens, you lightly scuff it wet with 1000-1500, compound and polish and you should get a good result.

Of course, if you're not happy with the result then you could have a body shop do it - it shouldn't cost any more since they'll sand and scuff the entire bumper cover anyway.

If you're unfamiliar with how to blend, practice on scrap metal off the car.

Last edited by steve12955; 13th February 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th February 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: Hirsch fleet: 2*9-5 + 9-3

My advice: remove rear bumper and paint it separately. Use Saab color.
Doing this is much easier than fade, sand etc.

Old 28th February 2019

Join Date: Jul 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3t Wagon
Garage

this is perfect. have to do the same thing for my 9-5 wagon. that clear coat is just gone. i have hazelnut paint. this seems like a good project for the summer!
Old 28th February 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sdl View Post
this is perfect. have to do the same thing for my 9-5 wagon. that clear coat is just gone. i have hazelnut paint. this seems like a good project for the summer!
If just the clearcoat is gone why would not just spray new clearcoat?
Old 2nd March 2019

Join Date: Jul 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3t Wagon
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sdl View Post
If just the clearcoat is gone why would not just spray new clearcoat?
Basecoat has been weather and just spraying clear it will not look nice and the clear would fail prematurely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement