95 (98-05) Blend Door Repair Kit - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 SE 2.3lpt, 5spd, JSP Stage 3

I get 1.......08 when I do the diagnostics, the only thing is both my heating and air conditioning work fine. Air conditioning is always icy cold and heat is always oven-hot. The only thing which could possibly be wrong is that when I turn the whole whole climate control systm off I still feel a slight draft of outside air from the vents....

Taliaferro Open Intake - Forge Motorsport 007 Recirculating Dump Valve - Remus SaabSport Exhaust - Aero Clutch and PP - Taliaferro Transmission Mount - JSP 3" Downpipe w/ Racecat - JSP Stage III Tuned - Koni Fully Adjustable Shocks - Aero Springs/Sways - Silicone Vacuum Lines - PCV Update #6 - Brand new Fuel Tank and Walbro 255lph Pump - Autometer Boost Gauge - MHI TD04 Big 19T 6cm2 Turbo Awaiting Installation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th November 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Thanks so much guys, I'm gonna go check out to see what's up. If I need that part, I'd be willing to take it off your hands man. I'll keep you filled in.

-Justin
Old 10th November 2005
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn

Another link for Code 08 Fix.

Clicky Here

Old 22nd November 2005
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37762
Old 30th November 2005

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5

Thanks for the extensive details of your work. This is the best I have seen for this specific repair. The photos are a great help. I just removed the left side trim panel off this afternoon and that in itself was a pain.

We are getting air flow only from the defrost vents - both right and left side. There is no controlling the temperature either. Until I dismantle a few more parts I will assume that the 08 code is part of the problem, but can anyone tell me how to fix the system so that air flow is through the appropriate vents - be they defrost, dash or floor?

Ours is a 2000 9-5.

Thanks much
Old 30th November 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

there is a seperate door and motor for mode control. i have seen 2 bad motors and one bad mode control door. unfrountily the mode control "door" is a drum and hwn they break they cause a bind condition, that sometimes a reclaibrate can get to move once before it binds again. that one required a complete box replacment to fix... BTW box removal, with tools and understandign on how its done is about a 2 hour job by itself. keep in mind you have to discharge the ac and remove the heater hoses to get it out. it is not a small task.
Old 1st December 2005

Thanks for your information, Nimisys.

Can you privide instructions/diagrams etc. and a list of necessary tools to do the job?

Also, can you recommend a testing proceedure that I can use to narrow down the problem?

I am going to try and remove some more parts today to see if I have the "08" broken part.

Thanks again
Old 1st December 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mie Saab
Also, can you recommend a testing proceedure that I can use to narrow down the problem?

I am going to try and remove some more parts today to see if I have the "08" broken part.
Sorry if I'm being dense , but did you run the ACC diagnostics and get the 08 fault code? The diagnostic routine is run by pressing the OFF and AUTO buttons at the same time and seeing if a code other than 0 is returned.
Old 1st December 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mie Saab
Thanks for your information, Nimisys.

Can you privide instructions/diagrams etc. and a list of necessary tools to do the job?

Thanks again
the drivers blend door is on the left side of the car, mode is on the right. you will need to remove the glove box and lower glove box panel, and generally pulling the vent tube also helps. there are 4 25 torx screws for the lower panel, then 3 25 torx for the lower edge of the glove box. opent he glove box and there are 4 more on the top edge. the peice of carpeting on the side of the center console you remove by pushing in the center of the pins then pulling out the outer ring. the vent tube should pull right out. IIRC the motor you want is the more accessable of the two front ones (one being the passenger side blend door motor), which i believe is the one higher up. while holding your hand on the motor, command it to change vent positions. if the motor vibrates or you cna feel it tryign to move then it means its getting the signal. if it does nothing, and none of the other ones do either, then its most likley the motor that needs replaced. if the motor works, then turn off the car and remove the motor formt he side of the box. its been awhile so i have forgotten the size screws that hold it on, but there should be two. now try t turn the shaft by hand. it should move freely and smoothly without any binding.
Old 2nd December 2005

Many thanks to robw and Nimisys.

Robw, I have run the dignostics and usually don't get the "08" code, but it has appeared once. I still haven't removed the elbow and motor to examine the suspect part. At present, I just run the system for short periods because regardless of the temperature I set, the heat is full bore out of the defrost vents.

Nimisys, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a try over the weekend if it warms up any.

In an earlier post by a name I don't recall, reference was made to adjusting the flaps/doors manually. Can either of you explain how to do this?

Thanks again.
Old 23rd January 2006

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
Thumbs up Blend Door Kit

Hi everyone - thanks so much for the information on the blend door kit.

We ordered it last week and received it on Saturday. My husband put it in and the heat is working great!!!

Thanks again. The Saab dealer quoted my $2600.00 for a new heater box and charged my $54.00 to look up the fault code 08. We are going to try to get our $54.00 back. What a racket!!!

Judy
Old 23rd January 2006
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Well done And good luck

I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 3rd June 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE 3.0 V6
Default Fixing stop lever, but no air flow

Hi all... just registered to this incredibly useful site.
Special thanks to RobW for the detailed pics on the stop arm. Have the exact same problem, and the pics will get me through the stop arm fix for $17. Sweet!!

Unfortunately, I have no airflow, hot or cold into the cabin. Guessing its a problem with the acc fan. Diagnostics give 1 - 08. Will check again after fixing the stop arm, but don't think the stop arm is the end of my road.

I've done some searching, and didn't come across any posts on no airflow.

Any thoughts or links to checking the fan?

Sweatin' in PA.

Thanks.

Last edited by Curryman; 3rd June 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 4th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Hey there,
Search for "ACC 08" in this forum. Sometimes the gear on the stepper motor can come off causing the flaps to not work right. It's late so I can't really do a search for ya right now. I had the same problem, just pushed that gear back on and it worked fine!

Good luck!
Old 5th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero manual

Curryman,

Jamison? You're in my backyard! Glad the post was helpful to you. When you turn on the AC, do you hear ANY fan noise, or is it all quiet? Have you noticed it blowing poorly lately? The cabin fan will often act up prior to dying on you. Have you checked all of the fuses?

Here are some instructions on replacing the fan if that's what is needed:
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ighlight=cabin
Old 9th June 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE 3.0 V6

Yup... Jamison, right down the road.
Thanks for the response.

No fan noise at all... just quiet.

Guessing I need a new fan, but is there anything else I should check? Saw a post on relay #12 (i think it was 12)... any other fuses, relays or electrical problems that might case the fan not to work.

looked at the fan replacement post... looks time consuming.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 26th July 2006

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 SAAB 9-5 (135k)

I've just encountered some weird sounds with my cooling system. I ran the ACC diagnostic and it showed 1...08. However, the heating/cooling in the car is fine, from all vents. What prompted me to run the check is that everytime I step on the gas, I can hear this mechanical "whiz" sound in my left ear (I'm in the US), coming from what seems to be directly beside my seat. If I slam on the brakes, I get a slightly different "whizzing" sound... almost like something's opening and closing depending on which way I jolt the car.

Can the 1...08 fault code effect something other than the blend door thing under the dash? This sound is definitely not coming from the dash area... more to the side of the car. I'm going to follow the directions posted previously and check under the dash just in case, though.
Old 12th August 2006

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 2.0t
Exclamation Are these pics from a LHD 95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw
Alright,

So my $225 blend door shaft repair kit arrived over the weekend and I went to install it today......

First, remove the lower dash piece as shown here:

When I removed it, this little piece fell out :

I then removed the motor (yellow arrow) and the vent elbow (white arow):

Once these were off, I had access to the belnd door shaft:

Turns out, my shaft was still intact. Apparently the 1...08 code can also be caused by a broken stop lever which attaches to the end of the blend door shaft.

So now I have ordered a new stop lever(the broken piece above part #5334701) from the dealership for $17. I will try and see if I can get Saabsite to accept a return of the aluminum one as I have no need for it but their site clearly stated "NOT RETURNABLE".

My advice to all would be to remove the pieces and physically confirm that the shaft is broken before ordering the kit. It is a pain in the *** working under the dash on the drivers side, but it didn't take too long to get in there (about 30 mins or so and would have been less if I didn't bother taking piccys).

I can see how this would be an easy fix for a broken shaft and one that Saab themselves should employ rather than charging customers $2000 to put a plastic shaft back in that would still be susceptible to breaking again.
I have the same issues, 01 08 On the drivers side there is a black plastic housing, in the centre is a blue circle with a grey rod. Now this rod is at an angle with seems strange, with testing this rods tries to turn but slips...any ideas???
Old 14th August 2006

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 2.0t

Am I doing something wrong here????
Old 14th August 2006
Saabista

My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Yes those pictures are of Rob's car which is a left hooker due to it being US based.

Last edited by Kermit; 14th August 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement