235 45 17 vs 225 45 17 tires - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd October 2014
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 SS 6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmedusa View Post
Also....on the subject...if i go to a smaller rim size on my viggen for winter 16" from 17" that WOULD throw my speedometer off a great deal...but like you said..easier to find rims and tires for the 16 than the 17. cheaper as well
going smaller will increase the speedo readings, which for some, might not be a big deal.

it might make your speedo closer to 5mph faster than actual speeds. if you've got a heavy right foot, then this might be a good way to keep mr. policeman off your tail because while you think you're doing 65 in a 55, you're actually closer to 60 in a 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd October 2014
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 11 9-5 Turbo4, 01 Viggen, 05 Jag XK8,
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe_P_Coltrane View Post
going smaller will increase the speedo readings, which for some, might not be a big deal.

it might make your speedo closer to 5mph faster than actual speeds. if you've got a heavy right foot, then this might be a good way to keep mr. policeman off your tail because while you think you're doing 65 in a 55, you're actually closer to 60 in a 55.
That's why I always have my Valentine One on at all times
Old 4th October 2014

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Viggen coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe_P_Coltrane View Post

No, usually when people go to 16" rims for winter they get a higher profile tire, usually 215/55/16. The outside diameter of the tire therefore remains the same and speedo is not affected.

Old 4th October 2014

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
The outside diameter of the tire therefore remains the same and speedo is not affected.
It's outside circumference that's not affected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Old 4th October 2014
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 SportCombi, 1999 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
It's outside circumference that's not affected.

It is both actually, since circumference=pi x diameter.
Old 30th November 2014
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Ltd. Edition 2008 Lynx Cabrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
No, usually when people go to 16" rims for winter they get a higher profile tire, usually 215/55/16. The outside diameter of the tire therefore remains the same and speedo is not affected.
I believe this is correct. Because the OEM 17" rim (225/45-17) has the same circumference as the OEM 16" rim (215/55-16)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement