How to remove center console - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th August 2012

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7x Altitude 5.3
Default How to remove center console

The dealer replaced the heater core (for which I will be eternally grateful since it was under the CPO warranty) but now the center console squeaks from time to time going over bumpy roads. I brought it back today and the tech did something but it is still noisy. I am reluctant to remove it myself to see if I can add some adhesive, etc. to tighten things up, since I cannot find a schematic of the process. I looked at trailvoy.com but the complicating factor on the Saab is the ignition switch. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th August 2012

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-7 Aero, 2008 Saab Turbo X
Default Center Console Squeaks

I have the same problem, the dealer repaired the squeak for about a year but the problem has returned. I found if I placed some rubber between the bottom of the dash and the console right under the A/C controls sometimes that helps but not always. I would really like to remove and reinstall the console and add padding to solve the issue. If anyone has any information about this process please post!!
Old 27th August 2012

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7x Altitude 5.3

I've been meaning to post again since I figured it out! The black rubber "triangle" surrounding the ignition pops off. Inside the armrest, remove the "coin holder" rubber piece to expose two black screws, likewise remove the black rubber piece at the bottom of the CD holder area to expose four black screws. Once they are removed that piece comes off- set aside. Look down into the area and there are two screws across from one another - these hold the back end of the console in place. Remove carefully so you don't lose them into the great abyss. I didn't remove the shift knob which I think you need to if you want to remove the wood grain trim piece surrounding it (I think you would need to place the gear selector in "1" or whatever the location is so that you can access the screw holding it on.) The wood grain/plastic piece is snapped onto the inner housing and pried up easily. I loosened the nut and the screws (some are special headed screws) securing the ignition switch but found I really didn't need to do that to accomplish the repair. To solve my problem I took window air conditioner grey foam, doubled it over and ran it the length of the right side of the console where it meets the carpeting. In driving the vehicle before doing this I tried pressing down/pulling up on various parrts of the console in an effort to eliminate the noise. I reassembled everything, leaving the foam slightly visible along the passenger side of the car. After a week or so I was satisfied that I had solved the problem so I carefully pushed the foam back under the console so it would not be visible. It really wasn't that big of a deal and I was needlessly worried about the ignition switch. Good luck!

Old 4th February 2019

Join Date: Feb 2019                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-7x 5.3i Winter White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln1 View Post
I've been meaning to post again since I figured it out! The black rubber "triangle" surrounding the ignition pops off. Inside the armrest, remove the "coin holder" rubber piece to expose two black screws, likewise remove the black rubber piece at the bottom of the CD holder area to expose four black screws. Once they are removed that piece comes off- set aside. Look down into the area and there are two screws across from one another - these hold the back end of the console in place. Remove carefully so you don't lose them into the great abyss. I didn't remove the shift knob which I think you need to if you want to remove the wood grain trim piece surrounding it (I think you would need to place the gear selector in "1" or whatever the location is so that you can access the screw holding it on.) The wood grain/plastic piece is snapped onto the inner housing and pried up easily. I loosened the nut and the screws (some are special headed screws) securing the ignition switch but found I really didn't need to do that to accomplish the repair. To solve my problem I took window air conditioner grey foam, doubled it over and ran it the length of the right side of the console where it meets the carpeting. In driving the vehicle before doing this I tried pressing down/pulling up on various parrts of the console in an effort to eliminate the noise. I reassembled everything, leaving the foam slightly visible along the passenger side of the car. After a week or so I was satisfied that I had solved the problem so I carefully pushed the foam back under the console so it would not be visible. It really wasn't that big of a deal and I was needlessly worried about the ignition switch. Good luck!
Hey Pauln1, thanks for the follow up post. I have the squeaking going on and was wondering if you had any photos or follow ups on how long this solution lasted? Thanks!
Old 4th February 2019

Join Date: Apr 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3

This worked for me on my 2009 9-3:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=717052
Sponsored Links
Advertisement