Cooper Weather Master S/T2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th December 2013

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage
Default Cooper Weather Master S/T2

Anyone have experience with these tires ? Looking for new(-er) winter tires for our Honda Odyssey, which right now has Blizzak WS50 but tread depth is getting low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

ok tire wont compare to blizzaks. dont cheap out its for your wife? value her life?
or maybe no, then try nanking.

the generally accepted best winter tires seem to be (in no particular order) Michelin x ice, Blizzak, Nokian, one other I cant remember, and general altimax for the budget minded.

I dont have any of these.

or a wife lol
Old 19th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen
Default I ran that model of Coopers for three years....

Copied from my comments in the 9-5 Board......

It really depends on your winter driving needs.

I have had Nokian, Semperit, Dunlop, Cooper, and currently Gislaved winter tires on my 9-5s since 2001. My driving is mostly cold winter expressways, usually cleared of snow, sometimes slippery with black ice, and the ocassional snowy roads with up to 8 inches of white fluffy stuff.

With my driving needs I liked the Coopers best. These tires were never on my radar screen but I located a set of four Saab 15-inch alloy rims with new Cooper snows for only $400. The seller assembled the package for his wife's Chevy Malibu because it used the same wheel bolt pattern as Saab, but the Saab wheels wouldn't clear the Malibu's front calipers.

I drove the Coopers for three winters, or 24,000 miles total, and they still had two seasons of tread remaining.

The Nokians had the best grip by a wide margin but were down right scary at 75 MPH on clear winter roads due to their Q speed rating. The Semperits and Dunlops were both H rated and very stable at speed but not as grippy as the Nokians. The T-rated Coopers presented the best compromise for my needs.

I would buy these tires again in a heart beat.
2000 9-5 lpt Sedan, Retired at 318,000 miles

Old 20th December 2013

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Thanks Roger !

Still waiting for the (CL) seller of those Coopers to reply

|

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Old 20th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Check the TireRack reviews. I was in a "buy American" mode a few years ago and was disappointed in the Cooper ratings though I forget what flavor I was shopping for at the time.

Old 20th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Roger has a very good point. Narrow tires give extreme traction but very poor highway stability. The BMW that I tricked up for ice racing I ended up trailering it. This due to a combination of skinny 155 85 tires and no shock damping made it brilliant for traction on ice and downright dangerous driving on the road. I gotta loook up a picture I have of it somewhere; with no studs and the Hakka's so much weight transfer, it would lift the inside front wheel in a corner.

Cooper for the win.
Old 21st December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen

Just to clarify why I am running Gislaveds now rather than Coopers. I sold my 2000 9-5 lpt and bought an '08 9-5 Aero in early 2012. The 15-inch alloys will not fit the Aero so I went looking for 16-inch Saab rims and sold the smaller set to another 9-5 owner.

I found a set of 16-inch Saab rims shod with very slightly used Gislaved winter tires in the Spring of '12. The tires were being stored for the seller by a tire store and the seller wanted $400 for the set. I offered her $300 six months later and the Store owner convinced the seller to accept my offer since I had been the only interested party.

These Gislaveds are pretty darn good too, but when it comes time to replace them I am certain the Coopers will be far less expensive.
2000 9-5 lpt Sedan, Retired at 318,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement