Your Review of ALL-SEASON & SUMMER Tires - Page 4 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd October 2018

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Glad to see they are working out for you.
Thanks. I admit, I was a little concerned after we discussed the previously. I do notice the noise you talked about, and the handling isn't as good as a true summer, but they suit me fine--especially for the price I paid. I'm curious to see how they do once I get them on real snow/ice (which fortunately we don't get too much of, just a lot of wet). Hopefully I don't have to revise my statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th January 2019

Join Date: May 2017                                                
My Saabs: 08 9-3 Aero XWD Combi 6MT

BRAND: BFGoodrich
Model: Sport Comp2 A/S
Type (summer/all-season): All-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/50R17
Your car: 2008 SAAB 9-3 Aero XWD Combi 6MT
Price paid: something
Vendor: Sam's Club
Miles/KMs driven so far: 20,000
Impression so far (describe): Adore these tires.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5
Other comments: Excellent tires in the wet and dry. Stupid amounts of grip. Okay in the snow if you're not being dumb. I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. I ran them all the way down to 2/32nds in about 20,000 miles. The wet performance is now suffering that they're worn, so they're getting replaced. Noise is acceptable and was consistent throughout the whole treadlife.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 & 2010 9-3

BRAND: General
Model: G-MAX AS-05
Type (summer/all-season): UHP All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215 55 R16
Your car: 2010 9-3 2.0T
Price paid: $360
Vendor: Discount Tire
Miles/KMs driven so far: 2200 miles
Impression so far (describe): Very quiet ride with good overall handling. Excellent wet and dry traction. Wet traction is one of my primary concerns when tire shopping because spring & summer around here mean heavy thunderstorms, and poorly draining roads can lead to standing water quite frequently. These tires feel amazing in those instances so I'm happy with the purchase, especially at this price point.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4, which would be 5 assuming treadlife is decent over the next 3-4 years
Other comments: $360 was after $120 of rebates from Discount Tire and General in April 2019

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

Wow... I am having a very different result on my Viggen. Tire size is 225/45-17 and blech... I find them to have very little grip and be generally poor communicators. They are also terrible in the cold - hard as rocks and quite noisy. I expect that from a high performance tire, but as an All Season I'd expect better cold weather performance. I bought them because they were inexpensive and don't think they've justified even the low price. They've been on the car for 2.5 years and about 3000 miles - they're not getting better... but I guess not getting worse.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSNLA View Post
BRAND: BFGoodrich
Model: Sport Comp2 A/S
Adore these tires.
Ha... same experience on an '08 FWD Aero, although I'm pretty sure they are 235s and not 225s. I have about 16,000 miles and expect them to last til the end of the year and no more. Phenomenal tire for an All Season where dry performance is stressed. This is one of those rare scenarios where I might just buy the same tire a second time.

Although, I have the non-AS on my XR4Ti and I'm not sure what's really missing from it. The Aero may just get summer tires next time.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 & 2010 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanabra View Post
Wow... I am having a very different result on my Viggen. Tire size is 225/45-17 and blech... I find them to have very little grip and be generally poor communicators. They are also terrible in the cold - hard as rocks and quite noisy. I expect that from a high performance tire, but as an All Season I'd expect better cold weather performance. I bought them because they were inexpensive and don't think they've justified even the low price. They've been on the car for 2.5 years and about 3000 miles - they're not getting better... but I guess not getting worse.
Wow, two vastly different experiences! Sure it's not the AS-03? I heard mixed reviews about those but I think the -05 is fairly new. Maybe it's a temp thing - we haven't had anything resembling cooler temps yet in my region (southeastern coast).
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhalifax View Post
Wow, two vastly different experiences! Sure it's not the AS-03? I heard mixed reviews about those but I think the -05 is fairly new. Maybe it's a temp thing - we haven't had anything resembling cooler temps yet in my region (southeastern coast).
Yep, AS05 with a date code of 1417. Whenever it's under 50 degrees they start getting hard and annoying. In their defense, General does have some disclaimers about not running them under 45 degrees or something like that, but - seriously - it says "all season" on them! Maybe they mean "all season in San Diego" or something.

I had a set of Nokian NRZs that got similarly hard when cold, and while they *are* Scandinavian tires and I'd expect better, they were z-rated summer tires, so fair's fair.

Knowing what I know now, if I were doing it again, I would probably either spend the extra on (another) Sport Comp2 or go with the Falken FK453- or maybe the FK510. I put the latter on an '01 SE I gave to my mother in law and was very happy with that tire, especially at the price. Not sure how it "scales" to a wider, low profile tire but I'm game to find out.

Unfortunately the next tire purchase for me is gonna be some boring 205/55-16 for another SE or highway tires for the Suburban. I would far rather experiment with cheap performance tires!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanabra View Post
...General does have some disclaimers about not running them under 45 degrees or something like that, but - seriously - it says "all season" on them! Maybe they mean "all season in San Diego" or something....
That is annoying. I would have thought 'all-season' would be a standardized, defined class that implies it should be functional in all weather conditions. Calling something all-season and then having disclaimers that it actually isn't is horribly misleading.
Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: Aug 2019                                                

BRAND: Kumho
Model: Ecsta 4X (KU-22)
Type (summer/all-season): all-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/40/18"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement