Best A/S tire for New England? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th July 2013

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Convertible
Default Best A/S tire for New England?

I have been riding Nokian WR G2's on my 2007 9-3 2.0 Convertible for 3 years. I will get 35K on them before needing to replace them before winter.
These tires have been great in winter and summer driving: plenty of traction in snow and no hydroplaning in rain.

My question is whether there is any real competition for a true all-season tire for winter city driving (I am not taking my Saab off-road in VT).

Direct Tire is pushing the Nokian enTyre which doesn't seem as robust for winter. I have heard about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 but there doesn't seem to be any winter experience shared online.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th July 2013

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

I have WRG2s on my Outback. They're the best true all-year all-weather tire I can find, after months of research. Pricey but worth it. My parents drive the Outback now and they only put on about 12,000 kms/year. But even with our mild winter weather we still get the occasional surprise big dumps of snow, followed by a cycle of thawing & freezing (into ice rinks). So the WRG2s are great for that.

I also have WRG2 on separate 9-5 teardrop rims for my car.

Not sure about the Michelins, never tried them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg

Last edited by SaabKen; 15th September 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 24th July 2013
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Ditto on the Nokians.

Excellent true all-season tire that can handle a decent snowfall without blinking.

Old 25th July 2013

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-5 Turbo 4 Premium

Wow I'm thrilled to read these reviews having put WRG2's on our 9-5 in March. Naturally, WRG3's came our shortly after I bought the 2's.
Old 25th July 2013

Garage

The enTyre is more akin to traditional 3-season A/S tires.

FWIW, when I drove the Outback as DD, I kept the Nokian i3 (summers) that came with the car:

on the car right into Feb 2012 when we had a fair dump of snow. While it obviously couldn't handle the ice, it did better than I expected on the 1-2" snow in our neighborhood. But soon after I went out and got the WRG2s just to be safe.

|

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Old 25th July 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 4 c900, 97 9k Aero, 02 9-5 aero

You'll be hard pressed to match the winter performance of the wrg2 in an all season tire. Nokian calls the an all season tire, but they still qualify for the "mountain snowflake" symbol which pretty much classifies them as a snow tire. Next closest tire is probably the Conti DWS, which in my opinion may disappoint you in winter conditions
Old 25th July 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E. Swede View Post
You'll be hard pressed to match the winter performance of the wrg2 in an all season tire. Nokian calls the an all season tire, but they still qualify for the "mountain snowflake" symbol which pretty much classifies them as a snow tire. Next closest tire is probably the Conti DWS, which in my opinion may disappoint you in winter conditions

Fun-to-watch propaganda

|

Old 9th September 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad2222 View Post
We have used Bridgestone Blizzaks in Boston MA and found them good.
Have a set of four on alloys if you are interested ?

Set of four Saab genuine 6.5J x 16 alloy wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 215/55R16 93R Tubeless Radial studless snow tires.
Traded in our 2007 Saab 9.3 Aero in so now surplus.
Used only two seasons and 7/32 inch remaining on treads.
Wheels and tires in excellent condition. No damage.
$480
Please post your ad in the N. American Buy & Sell, Parts section here:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

The above post will be removed.

|

Old 9th September 2013
Saabista

I've used the Blizzaks on a couple of cars. They're amazing when new, but Blizzaks have a dual-compound tread that loses most of its performance edge when the tread is 50 percent worn. With 7/32 remaining, that means there's only a season left in them, maybe two if you're lucky.
Old 9th September 2013

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 97 9000 Aero manual, 98 9000 CSE Auto
Default Continental Extreme Contact DWS vs Nokian WR G2

I was going back and forth between the Continental DWS and Nokian WR G2 or 3 for a 98 9000 CSE with Aero suspension.

The DWS stands for Dry, Wet and Snow and looks very similar to some European Continental Snow tires. The rubber compound is different than a dedicated snow tire so they can be run year round. There are 3 wear bars one for Snow, one for Wet and the last one for Dry. Tried them out in the snow late winter/spring and they seem to chew through it. They are also pretty quiet compared to the Goodyears that came off the car. They hold the road very well, dry, wet and snow. Way better than the Goodyear asymmetrical all seasons that came off the car which are way more money for less performance, less wear and harsher ride. They were also H rated and didn't make it 35K.

Wound up with the Continentals at about $133/tire mounted, balanced and tire disposal from Nashua Wholesale Tire, Nashua NH. 205/55 ZR 16 91W rated UTQG 540 A A, 50K warrantee and probably can expect 40K.

http://www.nashuawholesaletireinc.com/ . Also did a 4 wheel alignment for $55.00

You might also look at the Conti PureContact all seasons which was new last year. Tread pattern looks very similar to the AWSs. Couldn't get any feedback so I defaulted to the AWSs. They were the same price as the AWSs.

The best price I could get on the Nokians was $150/tire on sale, down from list $170/$180. Can't remember if it included mounting or balancing, on sale last winter(Feb) at VIANOR which is a tire and service chain in the NE and Europe owned by Nokian. 205/55 R 16 94V XL NO(Porche approved) 50K tread wear warantee which doesn't apply to V rated tires.

The VIANOR store I contacted is in Concord NH http://www.vianorusa.com should get you locations. They had the best price WR G2s. Nashua Tire Wholesale was around $172, all others were similar.

Had The Nokian Hakkas in the past but didn't want to deal with 2 sets of tires so the compromise. The Hakkas are great in snow. Unfortunately I ran them year round and they died pretty quickly.

If I were to run 2 Sets of Tires I'd buy the Nokian Hakkapeliittas for Winter Only.
Learned a lot about Winter tires this last go around. The soft rubber compound which helps grip Snow and Ice doesn't like to be run with outdoor temps above 45 degrees F. Outside temps greater than 45 degrees F causes the rubber to just peal off very quickly. Hope this helps.
Old 12th September 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T

I wanted the Nokian WR2s but was quoted $1050.00 at one tire place and $950.00 at another. Ouch!
Old 12th September 2013

Default Nokian enTyre

Direct Tire is pushing the Nokian enTyre.
http://www.directtire.com/entyre.aspx
It's cheaper than the WR G2's, quieter and better mileage. Plus Direct Tire is offering lifetime warranty and free rotation and alignment.
The tradeoff is that the enTyre isn't a true all-weather tire but I'm not sure that for suburban Boston that is really needed.
Old 14th September 2013
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgebler View Post
It's cheaper than the WR G2's, quieter and better mileage. Plus Direct Tire is offering lifetime warranty and free rotation and alignment.
The tradeoff is that the enTyre isn't a true all-weather tire but I'm not sure that for suburban Boston that is really needed.
The EnTyre is average. No comparison to the WRG2.
Old 14th September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinc1 View Post
The EnTyre is average. No comparison to the WRG2.
Thanks for the input. Is this based on personal experience?
Old 14th September 2013
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Is this based on personal experience?
No, not personal experience. I just know this from what I've read about both tires. Do some reading on Tire Rack and that will explain the difference between the two. The WR is unmatched based on it's all-weather capablilities. EnTyre seems be average or slightly above average in it's category.
Old 14th September 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarsanti View Post
The best price I could get on the Nokians was $150/tire on sale, down from list $170/$180. Can't remember if it included mounting or balancing, on sale last winter(Feb) at VIANOR which is a tire and service chain in the NE and Europe owned by Nokian. 205/55 R 16 94V XL NO(Porche approved) 50K tread wear warantee which doesn't apply to V rated tires.

The VIANOR store I contacted is in Concord NH http://www.vianorusa.com should get you locations. They had the best price WR G2s. Nashua Tire Wholesale was around $172, all others were similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morinc1 View Post
I wanted the Nokian WR2s but was quoted $1050.00 at one tire place and $950.00 at another. Ouch!
Sounds about right. Kal Tire is the Nokian-exclusive dealer in all of BC (that I know of), and they're not cheap: https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresdetails2/modelid/183/

|

Last edited by SaabKen; 14th September 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 15th September 2013

Thanks. I've been running the WRG2's for almost three years. I've really enjoyed them. The reason to think about the enTyre was: 1) the dealer claims they're quieter, 2) they're cheaper, 3) the trade-off for loss of all-weather isn't such a trade-off for mostly plowed Boston winter streets, and 4) Direct Tire is offering lifetime warranty and free rotations AND alignments.
The only reason I can see to stick with the WRG3 is the confidence of full snow traction. But after scouring the web for more details on the enTyre there isn't much out there.
Old 15th September 2013
Saabista

Quote:
The fact that Nokian lists them under summer tires would give me pause, but they might be completely fine if you rarely see more than a couple of inches of slush...
Old 6th January 2014

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I've used the Blizzaks on a couple of cars. They're amazing when new, but Blizzaks have a dual-compound tread that loses most of its performance edge when the tread is 50 percent worn. With 7/32 remaining, that means there's only a season left in them, maybe two if you're lucky.

Mike I agree with once the dual compound wears away the Blizzaks are not what they were when they were new. That being said my wife got 4 years with her WS60s and I got 3 years. I had a long hot ride down to NC that cooked a season off of them. I got a good deal on the Michelin XI2 which is the only reason why I did not go with Blizzaks on my 9-5. Blizzaks are a great winter tire, and the first compound can last three too four seasons. It did with us.

Last edited by LEGage; 6th January 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 6th January 2014
Saabista

Best I've ever gotten on Blizzaks is 2.5 seasons, but that's when I was putting 25K miles on the car annually.

I've heard and read great stuff about the X-ice. Nearly as good as the Blizzaks in snow, about as good on ice, and better on dry pavement. The longer treadwear should make up for the price difference. I'm planning to put the Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2 on our Explorer, but having trouble finding the right size locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement