Is stage 1 vtuner worth the extra $ over stage 0? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th March 2013

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: None
Default Is stage 1 vtuner worth the extra $ over stage 0?

I have an 06 aero. I was about to order stage 0 from vtuner but wondering if I should just spring for stage 1? Worth it? Thoughts?

Looking for better off the performance not top speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 09 9-3SC Aero XWD 6MT - Stage 5
Garage

Not sure if you're aware of this, but stage 1 includes: Turbo Upgrade (Super 19T Compressor), Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, K&N Sport Filter

So it's not just a simple reflash.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Saab 9-3SC Aero XWD 6MT - JZW Stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th March 2013

Yes I know, just wondering if the the performance benefit is worth the cost?

Old 19th March 2013

If Brian is around, I'd personally like his input. I'm trying to figure out if stage 1 will give me more off the line performance over stage 0, or more top end. I want more low end.
Old 19th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: Vtuned 2.0T

Pretty sure all the tuners limit the torque output of 1 and 2 gear because it's a fwd. Bigger compressor is going to mean it will spool up a little later than the stock compressor and give more power later in the powerband. Sooo more top end than low end IMO
Old 19th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Vtune stage 0 rev 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb88 View Post
Pretty sure all the tuners limit the torque output of 1 and 2 gear because it's a fwd. Bigger compressor is going to mean it will spool up a little later than the stock compressor and give more power later in the powerband. Sooo more top end than low end IMO
I actually have the option to turn off the torque limiters, full torque in 1-6
Old 19th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Red SportCombi 2.0T

Full power, front wheelbays hidden in tire smoke from dragstrip start will decrease the life expectancy or all FWD components.
In short; Running gear will not last long. As long as you know about it...
Old 19th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: Vtuned 2.0T

This sounds like a both horrible and terrific thing at the same time.
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

The car doesnt spin-spin-spin like you would expect, my drag launches somewhat soft. Not sure why i have it on full power in 1st, it improves throttle response off the line i guess because it doesnt need to think about torque control. I feel the front suspension components are taking a beating though...

As for stage 1 vs stage 0, if youre on the path and have the budget for stage 1 why not stage 2? Take full advantage of the turbo upgrade.
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 b204l/08 b284 6m xwd/08 tx sc 6m

it depends on what you mean by "off the line."

there's normal day to day driving, in which case the EXTREMELY low stock threshold for boost will be somewhat raised with a larger comp wheel and light turbine clip. this may be interpreted as being "slower," because gentle starts begin somewhere around 1k rpm which is below the point where the turbo wakes up.

then there's launching the car, which means starting at some elevated rpm and attempting to accelerate as quickly as possible. chances are that elevated rpm will be high enough to generate enough boost.

once the car is moving and the rpms are above say 2k5, then the larger turbo will undoubtedly provide more torque.

you didn't mention if your car is an auto or a manual...
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansaab27 View Post
Not sure why i have it on full power in 1st, it improves throttle response off the line i guess because it doesnt need to think about torque control.
this is one of my biggest gripes with the oem ecu programming. i find it incredibly frustrating that modulating a launch with my right foot is stymied by the some stupid idiot mode torque limiter.
Old 20th March 2013

Thanks that's helpful. I have the 6 speed manual. I've got the money for stage 0, 1 or 2, but I don't want to spend it just to find out that I need a racetrack to really feel the difference between them.

I'm looking for the most torque at the lowest RPM I suppose. If stage 1 or 2 just boost at the upper end of the RPM range, then that wouldn't be worth the money for me, because I don't have the opportunity to drive at high speeds.

But if they really improve performance from say 25mph to 70mph (just as an example), then that would be great. But if they just turn it into a 150mph (or whatever) car, that's useless to me.
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Crazy

what are your thoughts on deleting cats and/or otherwise reducing exhaust restrictions?

how about lightweight flywheels?
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Sportcombi 2008

I am no modding expert but I just want to clarify what you are after. On paper our cars make a heap or torque at low RPM even stock, the issue we has is poor throttle responsive as we have essentially 10 year old turbo technology (get in an Audi 2T and get back to me).

You can have 600nm or torque at 2,000 RPM but that turbo has to spool.
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

On the day to day i dont think you will notice a difference because on paper the 2 tunes make roughly the same torque. The bigger compressor wheel allows torque to be maintained at a higher rpm so you don't get the drastic dropoff like us stage 0 drivers do after 5000 rpm.
Old 20th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: Turbo X SC auto, Vtune0 rev2
Smile Vtune 0,1,2???

I have had two 9-3s Vtuned Stage 0.
It is truly amazing, after my first tune on my -06 Aero, I was all smiles. It was the fastest FWD car I've ever driven. The removal / reduction of torque limits on 1st and 2nd combined with the higher torque available is fantastic. However, there are some control issues both in terms of spin and steer... Awareness is required. Unfortunately you quickly get used to the extra torque, and I was underwhelmed when doing the same tune on the TurboX. Admittedly, it starts off at 280hp so the increase is not so dramatic, and I think I feel the XWD transmissions losses. The XWD has amazing grip though, so maybe its because its smoother and less touchy to drive than the FWD.
In any case, I think you'd be happy and satisfied to start with Stage0 on a FWD 9-3, imho...
Old 21st March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 08TurboXSedan;09,9-3ss
Garage

As TitanSaab notes the real difference is the drop-off post 5000-ish RPM. Strictly 25 to 70 MPH you're probably not to notice (much). Passing 50 to 80 you will .

My experience doesn't translate perfectly to FWD, though, as XWD does smooth out (per Sandy) power to drivetrain.

When I went from Stage 0 to 1 I also added the catless 3 inch DP so that might have magnified the stage change some; and possibly mitigated any spool issue in going to 19T. For time being feel I'm at the 'sweet spot' (automatic limits too; I also understood that fuel economy -- already dismal stock, no change tuned 0/1-- would become that much worse w larger injectors).

Kanundrum may wish to pipe in (he too graduated from 0 to 1, manual X [RIP]).
VTuneStg2w'Super'20T+SnowPerformanceH2O/Meth;15mmH&Rspacers+18x7.5 X:235/45GMaxAS03;VentureshieldBra;PinnacleForm1tint35%/20% rear;Winter:18x8OZAlleggerita HLT,anthracite+235/45MichAlpin PA3;RecaroSRDseats;DBarton4inMooses(!);KenwoodDnx7 190satnav+steer cntrl+bckupcam.Graphics:Abshot,UK.Ferrita midpipe;intrcooler;Coilovers[Maptun];Hirsch3pc grill/Carbnlthrdash;GS 3"DP+Subfrmebrce+CAI;[email protected]!
Old 21st March 2013
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Toronto Punter View Post
; I also understood that fuel economy -- already dismal stock, no change tuned 0/1-- would become that much worse w larger injectors).
well, fuel economy doesn't HAVE to be worse with proper larger injectors--that is, injectors that retain proper spray patterns and atomization.

however, it often ends up being worse because the extra power/torque that is released by be able to inject sufficient fuel for additional airflow ends up highly addictive...

but on a long steady road trip, cruise control, etc. it should be no worse than st 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement