Saab Replacement Keys - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

"Meaning no remote in key head; just the chip you will need a fob for these keys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Frank Parnell View Post
To update my original post. I ended up calling www.clearcomtech.com and paying $100 for a complete OEM cut key with transponder. I called the dealer and got my key code by giving them my VIN. I then gave the code to Clearcomtech and they cut my key. I then took this key with my original to the dealer and had it all programmed to the car for free since it was under warranty at the time.

Last edited by Saaber95er; 5th March 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th March 2013

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaber95er View Post
"Meaning no remote in key head; just the chip you will need a fob for these keys"
Not true. The one I bought came complete with the transponder, and the remote and was cut for my car for $100. No fob necessary.
Old 5th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

So you got the the type 2; Sorry, but you said Transponder Key which is the type 1; thanks for the clarification a $100 is a good price for a type 2 complete; Did it come with the back cover as well?

Quote:
Not true. The one I bought came complete with the transponder, and the remote and was cut for my car for $100. No fob necessary.

Old 5th March 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

I bought a key with the electronics off of ebay and then had a key cut by my dealer since the electronics cost the most out of it.
Old 5th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaber95er View Post
So you got the the type 2; Sorry, but you said Transponder Key which is the type 1; thanks for the clarification a $100 is a good price for a type 2 complete; Did it come with the back cover as well?

Sorry for the confusion, yes it is a type 2 and the key came complete including the back cover for $100.
Old 5th March 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 2.3T w/ Sport Package

i looked that that page but it looked like there was only one order form and the least amount of keys you could buy were two? It didn't even list prices. So did you have to call them to order just one key?
Old 5th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
i looked that that page but it looked like there was only one order form and the least amount of keys you could buy were two? It didn't even list prices. So did you have to call them to order just one key?
I called them and told them my situation and they were very helpful. I don't think that they readily advertise that they will do just the keys. They are more into reprogramming the entire security box when you lose both your keys or have a malfunction. Just give them a ring and see what they can do for you.
Old 29th May 2013

Join Date: May 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
Default Key programming

Hello, I recently bought a 2006 9-5 wagon that came with one key. The dealer (not Saab) had a second key cut and sent it to me with the remote and told me I need to get it programmed. My mechanic has a Tech 2 scanner but he probably hasn't done a Saab key before. What do I need to tell him and will the original key still work after the second key is programmed?
Old 29th May 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 2.3T w/ Sport Package

you have to have both keys with the car when you program it. the Tech 2 provides a very good step by step guide to program new key. Mine was done in like 5 minutes. Took longer to get the tech 2 hooked up.
Old 15th August 2013

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: Silver 2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Garage
Default Key programming

My wife (now ex-wife, but not because she lost the key ) lost one of my keys. I recently ordered a new key from a dealer and now I need to get it programmed. I've seen many posts that claim this should only cost about $60, but my local independant service place claims it's more like $150. Unfortunately, the closest "authorized" Saab Service Center is 450 miles away and I don't want to drop $150 if I don't have to. Now my question...do I need an existing programmed key in order to program the new key? If I somehow managed to lose my last programmed key could I have the car towed to my local shop and have them program the new key, or would I be screwed?
Old 15th August 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 SportCombi, 1999 9-5

As I understand it you would be screwed. You need to have one working key in order to add more keys. An indy charged me $60 when I added a new key.
Old 16th August 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2013                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 99 build low blow turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnugen View Post
If I somehow managed to lose my last programmed key could I have the car towed to my local shop and have them program the new key, or would I be screwed?
Is this along the lines of; "I have a good friend who has lost his only key..."?

If there is no key, then I think you're in a bit of bother. If you have one key then this is what I've done:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...t=cunning+plan

Regards,
John.
Old 16th August 2013

If you have lost all keys, you are not totally screwed, but it will cost you more. Most places will charge you around $3000 to get going again. Clearcom Tech will charge you about $800. Just go to http://www.lostsaabkeys.com

They have instructions on how to remove your TWICE module, and ship it to them for programming. Good Luck. JFP
Old 16th August 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
If you have lost all keys, you are not totally screwed, but it will cost you more. Most places will charge you around $3000 to get going again. Clearcom Tech will charge you about $800. Just go to http://www.lostsaabkeys.com

They have instructions on how to remove your TWICE module, and ship it to them for programming. Good Luck. JFP
Most of us just buy a used twice ( or pull one from a junk yard ( if they have a key) they have no idea what it is. Got one and a key for 100 bucks for a customer. and reprogram all the other keys to the new TWICE.
Old 16th August 2013

Your solution requires that the donor TWICE module comes with a donor key as well to start the process. Does it not? The Clearcom guys will give you two new keys programmed to your TWICE box if finding a donor TWICE module with key is not an option.
Old 16th August 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Your solution requires that the donor TWICE module comes with a donor key as well to start the process. Does it not? The Clearcom guys will give you two new keys programmed to your TWICE box if finding a donor TWICE module with key is not an option.
There are 3 people breaking 9-3 and 9-5 cars right now in the classifieds. I know each has a key and twice to spare.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just wanted people to know there is a much cheaper solution.
Old 22nd August 2013

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: Silver 2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
As I understand it you would be screwed. You need to have one working key in order to add more keys. An indy charged me $60 when I added a new key.
Well, I didn't want to risk it so I emailed to confirm the programming fee from the first independant service place I called and the price mysteriously increased to $188 plus tax. When I asked why they ignored me. So, I called another shop way across town (Albuquerque, NM) and found a great guy who programmed my key for $48 and spent some extra time with me to identify a strange leak from my cooling system that produced an orange wax like drip. The leak was pooling on top of the transaxle and eventual dripped off onto my garage floor like orange candle wax, weird. Anyway, now I've got two keys! If anyone needs Saab repair in ABQ, you might want to check out Jeff's Saab Shop...he was really great.
Old 23rd August 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: Elskerinne..'02 Saab 9-5 HBSaabs stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnugen View Post
spent some extra time with me to identify a strange leak from my cooling system that produced an orange wax like drip. The leak was pooling on top of the transaxle and eventual dripped off onto my garage floor like orange candle wax, weird.
if you havnt figured it out yet check your coolant return line from the turbo as well as the coolant return hose from the radiator. My return line leaked when I changed turbos and didn't have it tightened enough, ended up adding some Teflon tape to the threads and re-tightened and that stopped my leak
Old 16th March 2014

Join Date: Mar 2014                                                

Will you share your source for replacement keys?
Old 17th March 2014
Saab on the Brain!

Please post a new thread, you are opening a thread that is so old if the source does not exist it will not help you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement