Discount Tire Liability - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th November 2010

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 04 Arc Convertible 2.0T
Default Discount Tire Liability

I had new tires put on my 9-3 two days ago at Discount Tire. As I'm about to turn onto the street, my brake pedal drops to the floor. I creep back to Discount Tire, we pump the brake pedal, and brake fluid is going everywhere. Apparently, the o-ring or gasket by the brake caliper was cracked.

Eventually I get the car to my mechanic who replaces the gasket. Is there anyway that Discount caused the crack? I've never had problems before with the brake lines or brakes themselves. Odd that at the time the tires are replaced the leak occurs. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABD26 View Post
I had new tires put on my 9-3 two days ago at Discount Tire. As I'm about to turn onto the street, my brake pedal drops to the floor. I creep back to Discount Tire, we pump the brake pedal, and brake fluid is going everywhere. Apparently, the o-ring or gasket by the brake caliper was cracked.

Eventually I get the car to my mechanic who replaces the gasket. Is there anyway that Discount caused the crack? I've never had problems before with the brake lines or brakes themselves. Odd that at the time the tires are replaced the leak occurs. Thoughts?
pictures? it could be some one carelessly took off your stock wheels and it bounced off the caliper and broke it, but that can be highly unlikely.

i rule your internet.
Old 4th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

There should have been some "tool marks" and your mechanic woulda' shoulda' coulda' seen them.

A 2004 would have had rust or a bit of crud make it pretty obvious. In his defense, the hydrastic fluid sprayed all over would mask it so unless the mechanic was initially looking for it? After the fact and in retrospect?

Old 4th November 2010

Thanks TunnanXWD. My mechanic took pictures and I need to retrieve them. The mechanic believes that Discount did NOT cause the crack. I'm wondering if it's worth asking for reimbursement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
There should have been some "tool marks" and your mechanic woulda' shoulda' coulda' seen them.

A 2004 would have had rust or a bit of crud make it pretty obvious. In his defense, the hydrastic fluid sprayed all over would mask it so unless the mechanic was initially looking for it? After the fact and in retrospect?
Old 4th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 93 2.2tid Vector Sport

The amount of force brake calipers encounter would suggest they would have to be absolute monkeys to crack one through simply removing and refitting a wheel. Unless there are marks to suggest a decent wallop from something, i would probably not waste your time
04 Saab 9-3 2.2 TID Vector Sport. 6K dips, 3K projector fogs, LED sides, Nav, Aero Leather, Boston S35 dash, Fli rear, Infinity doors, JL sub, hidden park sensors, pressed plates, full LED interior lights, black badges, M5 window spoiler, 08+ bridge spoiler, colour coded bump strips, washers and nav fin, Aero front splitter, Duplex straight through exhaust
Old 4th November 2010

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABD26 View Post
Thanks TunnanXWD. My mechanic took pictures and I need to retrieve them. The mechanic believes that Discount did NOT cause the crack. I'm wondering if it's worth asking for reimbursement.

If your mechanic didn't see anything that looked as though they caused the problem I wouldn't look for reimbursement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4th November 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: '07 Aero Conv Fusion Blue VTune Stage 0

Simply put, there's really no way to prove Discount Tire caused the crack in the caliper- even if they did.

Most likely, the caliper already had the beginnings of a fracture- which was aggravated during the tire change. In which case, it wasn't DT's fault.
Old 5th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

That's too bad it happened and could be pure coincidence.

The DT team is pretty good and highly trained (for what they do). I doubt they did it but you never and if they did DT would fess up to and take care of you. They are a very professional corporation and would stand by any mistakes or liability.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 5th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash View Post
That's too bad it happened and could be pure coincidence.

The DT team is pretty good and highly trained (for what they do). I doubt they did it but you never and if they did DT would fess up to and take care of you. They are a very professional corporation and would stand by any mistakes or liability.
from what i have seen read and heard not only from my friends but online they are very unreliable they seem to rip people off for instance my they made my friend purchase 1,300 dollars worth of tire for his M and told him it was the only option he had, not only that they did a crappy job at mounting the tires. The tires he got cost 700 bucks on tire rack..... i dont think i could ever trust discount tire.

i rule your internet.
Old 5th November 2010

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not going to pursue the reimbursement, and I'll likely continue to buy from DT. They've generally been very good, despite the occassional underling that tries to upsell. Thanks brothers in Saab!
Old 5th November 2010

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector(pimped out)

I'm surprised Discount Tire didn't reimburse you. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I wouldn't get tires anywhere else
Old 5th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T Custom E85 tune by JZW
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
from what i have seen read and heard not only from my friends but online they are very unreliable they seem to rip people off for instance my they made my friend purchase 1,300 dollars worth of tire for his M and told him it was the only option he had, not only that they did a crappy job at mounting the tires. The tires he got cost 700 bucks on tire rack..... i dont think i could ever trust discount tire.
That is your friends fault that he didnt do his research before going in there, especially since we have the internet these days, It would have taken him less than 10 seconds to find out the salesman was full of crap, and hell with smart phones he could have done it right their in the store! The way I see it, is that was a skilled SALESman...hence the name, he is their to sell you what you dont need! Just because the Saab salesman tried to sell me the $2500 navigation system when I can clearly get a $150 garmin that works even better doesnt mean I think Saab as a company is horrible.

The buyer needs to take some responsibility for being taken for a ride. If I worked on commission I would upsell everything I could also. It means I get to eat steak tonight instead of Mac and Cheese.

I have never had anything but a good experience from Discount Tire, their are certain shops that employ crappy people, and I just steer clear of those shops, but all in all, Discount has always been a good company. Its a shame that you let a bad employee at a chain ruin your whole outlook on them. And if your friend took the time to contact discount corporate office Im sure they would want to keep him as a customer and do something for him.
Old 5th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Part of that depends on what questions "the friend" asked.

There is also a certain amount of ethics we should anticipate when questions are asked. I mean are you going to rag on me for asking, if how to say "f'you" in sales speak is "trust me" and hence we should hate and distrust all sales persons. There is also an anticipated degree of professionalism. I ask you a question about the performance of tires especially for high end/high performance iron, as a sales professional or associate I would really like a professional opinion.

If you are going to carry high end products you better be able to mount them not like the idiot did that worked on my Vette. He popped a body panel, broke the security locks off and then charged me for the labor. He took my polished aluminum wheels and pounded regular weights onto them. Also on that day he did, without written authorization, did a complete fluid change on my car of all fluids. I asked him if he had any problem with mounting Tire Rack tires delivered to his store when he couldn't get the tires I wanted. Pay back time? For what? I asked and he ruined a service relationship that went back ten years doing three or four family cars.

Screw me (like $150 to break the lugs off that you were too blind to find even when you called and told me where the key was), I hope I cost you some business.

So, the young guys have a hell of a learning curve. IMHO doing "research" involves keeping your ears open on sites like this. It's all part of the body of institutional knowledge. I have been snooping for tires and I was about to call the discount places. I am retired but I can relate to being back in school or full time and trying to get the time to do all of this research.

Paco and I are from different ends of the spectrum (old and lame versus young and fast), and darn, he tries to help a lot of folks out here. You may also but I just didn't notice.
Old 6th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post

Liked Tunnans comments above as well

Paco it sounds your friend had a very unusual experience. First off their prices are the same as Tire Racks shipped price believe it or not on most items. If they aren't just ask them to match. They'll pull up Tire Racks website and in about 45 seconds they got the matched price for. They have been doing this for years.

And crappy job mounting the tires? What do you mean? They usually go to great lengths there to get things right.
I've dealt with DT for over 11 years in stores all over the country, through my traveling, and have always been treated consistently well.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of another chain? National Tire, Pep Boys, etc.? Those places do have a bad rep.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 7th November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey '03 ARC 6MT
Garage

how can someone do a crappy job mounting the tires? i did this work for almost 2 years, back in high school, and it's as simple as putting the tire on witht the machine, matching up the little painted dot or circle to the valve stem, and inflating... they pop themselves into place, and bingo, you're done...

also, if you want sticky weights, ask for them, because if your rims have a lip, most places are gonna pound a weight on vs. using the sticky ones inside the wheel, because they're very much a pain in the *** to use..
Old 7th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

yeah i know how to mount tires i have a tire mounting machine, and they dident line up the circles at all not only that the did a crappy job reweighing the wheels there was glue everywhere, and they put it right on the lip of his rim they and hes got 10 in wide rims i think it looks horrid.

no he went to discount tire the one in Florida when he brought his car home this summer i saw how off everything was, i think him and i were more annoyed at the fact that he spend 1,300 dollars on a set of conti that cost 700 on tire rack. he honestly dident need the 700 dollar tires and they told him that was all they had and could get. Unfortunately he needed the tires then and there because he was dumb enough to wait for them to wear all the way past the wear bars and onto the metal.

other than my friends experience the only other bad things that i have heard about DT is they have issues shipping rims some times

he might have had a bad expirence but idk.

i rule your internet.

Last edited by pacotaco; 7th November 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 7th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

You have a "high-end" shop. The parking lot is littered with upper end BMW's and Jags. It is not uncommon to see a Ferrari or Lambo in there.

I have to tell you, not to bang a set of weights onto my polished alu rims?

If I have to start writing a "performance specification contract" to tell you how to mount and balance a wheel you are out of your mind.

When I go to Ma-beep-beep-aco, I expect low end and that is what I pay for. When I take my car to a performance oriented shop I don't expect to hold your little hand. Charge me a top end price for low end Pep Boys quality work?
Old 8th November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey '03 ARC 6MT
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
You have a "high-end" shop. The parking lot is littered with upper end BMW's and Jags. It is not uncommon to see a Ferrari or Lambo in there.

I have to tell you, not to bang a set of weights onto my polished alu rims?

If I have to start writing a "performance specification contract" to tell you how to mount and balance a wheel you are out of your mind.

When I go to Ma-beep-beep-aco, I expect low end and that is what I pay for. When I take my car to a performance oriented shop I don't expect to hold your little hand. Charge me a top end price for low end Pep Boys quality work?

to be completely honest, i love my saab, but do you honestly think a majority of people that have one are gonna pay the money to get simple stuff done at a high end shop? added on to the fact that the availability of "high end" shops in most places is pretty slim if any... meaning yes, if you're taking your car in somewhere "normal" like wal mart, tires plus, etc. etc. it's probably a good idea to remind them that you want your stuff installed correctly, otherwise you're just another customer, and they'll take care of your car "like another customer". simple as that.
Old 8th November 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: '07 Aero Conv Fusion Blue VTune Stage 0

I've dealt with DT for over 11 years in stores all over the country, through my traveling, and have always been treated consistently well.
I'm wondering if you're thinking of another chain? National Tire, Pep Boys, etc.? Those places do have a bad rep.

I purchased tires at DT last week. They did a pretty good job. They used sticky weights on my 9-3 Aero rims (still trying to get the sticky stuff off from the removed weights), but the guy did get a little liberal with the goop (although it has begun to wear off).

While I was waiting for the installation, I had a chance to listen to two of the sales guys waiting on customers. They seemed to be quite knowledgeable and gave pretty solid advice. One of them even talked a female customer out of a set of high-end performance tires. She had an accident last year and was concerned about traction (he explained that the tires she had selected would actually not grip well in cold weather- which is when her accident occurred last year).

All-in-all, I think DT is a pretty good resource for the average car owner.
Old 8th November 2010
Saab on the Brain!

My post wasn't about a Saab, not real high end but no slouch.

I don't go in Wal-Mort because I try, though it is harder to buy American and Sam Walton should have been given jail time not honored.

However, who am I to turn my nose up at Wal, Pep Boys or any other shop and demand satisfactory service (what is wrong with this sentence?), I don't pay to have my oil plug stripped or tires out of balance. I also don't expect to do "110 miles an hour" on tires done at Pep Boys.

In Pep Boys I don't expect their store brand tires to do anything well, I bought a pair of their tires (Cornell), years ago and they were out of round in a month so I never went back. Oddly I did call the a few days ago about the Conti's that everyone raves about here and they were way high in price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement