Yet another tire thread - 225 vs. 235 - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th March 2010

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9 5 2.3t Nordic Estate Auto

Sorry but dumb question which one is the double spoke aero is it any of these do you have a pic?

Part number Description Width
32025564 Double wing 7.5"
12757104 5 Spoke twin 7.5"

If it is the 5 spoke twin aero from the 9-3 then part number 12785710 7" only..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th March 2010

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknessph View Post
Nice post about the tire contact patch. Not only different tires for the same size (not just width, I mean all of them- width, height, diameter) have different contact patch, the wheel width which tire is mounted on also have effect.

Wider Tires mounted on rims narrower than it was designed for is not always "better".

Imagine this -->[ <-- as the tire's cross section mounted on a rim of proper width for the tire. With wide tire that is mounted on narrow rim, contact patch will end up looking more like --->C <--- due toside wall having to cave-in to narrower wheel. Wider tires = probably more contact patch and more longitudal grip (like as in launching or forward movement), but lateral grip improvement would be a lil' questionable. Also, steering may feel more numb.

As for 7" rims and 265 width, that may be the case with very tall profile tires for trucks and SUVs. With not so tall tires like in our case, 7" rims would be maxed out at 235 width: 7" rim width's proper tire width is 215mm. Following is the Saab listing according to a post on Saabnet. The number after rim dia. is the rim width the tire should be mounted on.
As long as you adjust your tire pressure accordingly (to prevent the belts from overlaying themselves) you can run wider with little (if any but sligthly higher wear) downsides. I ran 265/35R18 Corsas on a 8inch wheel for 10 track events and all summer long last year with great results. The guys autocrossing integra type r run 275 hoosiers on the factory 6 inch wheels and they are winning...

235 though really wont be an issue as some 225s (Khumos for example) are wider than some 235s (Toyos).
Old 4th March 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

You really have to check the width of your wheels and the specs for the specific tire you want to see if they are compatible.

Many shops will not install a tire on a wheel that is outside specs.
I can see that if you install a tire on a wheel outside specs that you could be denied warranty on that tire if anything happens.
I suppose it's even possible that if you are involved in an accident that you could be denied insurance - those guys look for every possible excuse.

Old 4th March 2010

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero MT, Stage Gazillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwAlex View Post
As long as you adjust your tire pressure accordingly (to prevent the belts from overlaying themselves) you can run wider with little (if any but sligthly higher wear) downsides. I ran 265/35R18 Corsas on a 8inch wheel for 10 track events and all summer long last year with great results. The guys autocrossing integra type r run 275 hoosiers on the factory 6 inch wheels and they are winning...

235 though really wont be an issue as some 225s (Khumos for example) are wider than some 235s (Toyos).
Hehe- been there done that! I've done 245 Kumho V710s on 6.5" lol it was FUN FUN FUN with some two wheelin' action going when hitting the zebra zones.

You said you've got a M3 right? I had a e46 M3 with some mods, with the favorite being TCK DA coilovers now, that was some serious fun! On track days, I've ran pilot cups on it, and.. I just can't forget the way the car enfused with the driver. BTW, Vorstiner double-sided carbon is actually heavier than the stock aluminium hood! It looked goodwith just vents left unpainted, but really, it wasn't worth it.

anyhow, I've got to fix this off-topic tendencies. lol

now back on topic, as for the aero twins - if you are talking about 9-5 aero twins from 02~03yr, it's 7" I think, and for 2006+ cobra aero ones, it's supposed to be 17x7.5 I think. 06+ 9-5 come with 235/45/17 stock.

Last edited by Darknessph; 4th March 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: grammmmaaarrrrr
Old 4th March 2010

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

Had an m3 with Motons coilovers and ground control swaybar... I had to sell it because of insurance and needed money to start my business. Not a single day goes by without me missing it...
Old 8th June 2010
Wulf

SaabScott, did you put new tires and wheels on your car? Which tires did you choose? I need new tires and am trying to convince myself I should not spend the money on new wheels..
Old 9th June 2010

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero Wagon

I put some 235 GoodYear F1 All Season's on my 9-5 aero wagon.

They are alright.
Old 7th June 2014

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5

I have 225/45 tires on 17x7 but I want to try 235 wide tires for better grip and 0-100km/h acceleration. Yes I know its not recommended tire size for 7'' wheel but I want to know if anybody have tried 235 tires with 7'' wheels and how was the driveability and how much better was grip than with 225 tires?
Old 7th June 2014
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccat View Post
I have 225/45 tires on 17x7 but I want to try 235 wide tires for better grip and 0-100km/h acceleration. Yes I know its not recommended tire size for 7'' wheel but I want to know if anybody have tried 235 tires with 7'' wheels and how was the driveability and how much better was grip than with 225 tires?
I personally think that the difference between 225 and 235 is not substantial enough. Plus the 225 tires are cheaper. The stock size for my 8" wheels is 225.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement