Pioneer AVIC-F700BT - Page 22 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th July 2014

Join Date: Mar 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sport Sedan (Auto)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
BTW, I'm in the process of designing an electronic single ended to differential converter circuit for this setup. I'm tired of the GLI's and the line level converters are really not what you want.

What you want is a unity gain circuit that takes single ended (common ground) input for 4-channels and outputs 4 differential signals with no common ground.

The circuit is pretty simple, TI makes a very nice part. you need a charge pump to make - 12 V to power the negative side of the circuit and a couple of regulators but is should be pretty easy.

I figure it'll be a circuit board that is about 2" square with colored RCA inputs and 4 (same) colored outputs.

anyone interested if I get the design done to help me offset the prototype costs?
I could be interested too - again, depending on cost. Side note to that, depending on complexity, I might be able to build them - I have a full solder reflow station at home. PM me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th February 2015

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2006 SAAB 95 Aero
Default Great Help Wulf

Hey great post, it inspired me to replace my unit with one of these.
Just done th efirst basic fit onth eweekend, a few loose ends to tidy up but all is working well. I have a few questions in a sec Wulf if you will indulge me.

I boought an AVIC F950DAB from Pioneer as a refurbed warranty return, 1/2 price at $630. I then bought the gear you suggested, but I bought the "RC" version of the steering wheel control.

I have an Aero with Premium Sound - HArmon KArdon Amp so I want need to connect to the pre amp outlets, but right now I am using teh normal adio out as th eharness has yet to arrive, all is working ok.

Wulf, why did you run the switched power wire and permanant power wire to the headlight switch rather than uise those in the exisiting harness? Right now I am waiting for my Metra Cable for the Pre Amp outlet, so I connected the Pioneer harness straight to the Car HArness, feeding eth HK AMp from th ePioneer amped outputs - it works ok, butI will fix that and all power feeds into the AVIC from th econnector, on teh AVIC F950 harness you can swap two loeads over between switched an dperm if that makes sense.
Also with the F950 the Handbrake lead (greeen) just needs grounding to work that, no need fo the hack.
Still waiting for my reverse camera to connect up as well. and I need to set the frame up better.
Wulf also why didnt you use the cars inbuilt microphone? I am waiting for a plug to wire mine up but I am hopefull. I had a Motorola Bluetooth unit before so I pulled that an dwired th ewheeel control to the handsfree power connector wire. the Mic is in the same loom.
Thanks for th etip on th eSPlash Screen, I have used yours but need to redo it as th eF950 has a slightly wider screen and there is a little distortion in eth logo.

One last question, Does th eHK Amp have a Subwoofer input to connectthe AVIC into? The F950DAB has a Sub-W output

As said though THanks again without your post I woudl never have done this!!
Old 24th February 2015
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero Wagon
Garage

You use the headlight switch for two connections:

1: to auto-dim the display when the lights are on (i.e. night mode)

2: to allow the unit to work with the key in the Aux spot and not "on" which powers the entire engine control, etc. That draws more current, etc when you are parked. The original unit comes on with a command from the CAN bus, but we can't connect to that.

Old 25th February 2015

Ah Ha got it. I didnt read it that carefully, I wondered about the dimming, I will recheck that, and I did miss not being able to listen in Asc, in fact I miss it not being able to be turned on with no key in th eignition for 30minutes - a great feature!
Old 25th February 2015
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero Wagon
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevynPA View Post
I could be interested too - again, depending on cost. Side note to that, depending on complexity, I might be able to build them - I have a full solder reflow station at home. PM me?
I did build one prototype, it seems to work quite nicely. Right now I have it plugged into a cigarette lighter to test.

I also designed it so that you can split one channel input into two outputs since i'm working on using an android tablet as my head unit. No fader just yet, that'll come but at least now I can plug the headphone output into the built in HK amp. that should be interesting.

Once I get done with fully debugging the unit I'll post links to the component list and the PCBs on OSHPARK where you can order some. the total cost is about $50 in parts, but some of them you have to buy extra (i.e. the boards come as a set of three for $30)
Old 9th March 2015

Default All finished

Ahoy, finally got my F950DAB all runing, wired to the headlight switch and fitted the in line filters, no more "popping" all works a treat! Absolutely well done Wulf

I seem to be a bit thick as I can't paste in a photo of the finished product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement