Window Roller Repair (with pics) - Page 8 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

I just filmed a video tutorial that includes a section on this strip, I will hopefully remember to link it here but if not, it will be on the eEuro blog tomorrow. Cheers!
The Q took a hard hit last race but managed to still finish well, a triumph to the spirit of this old bbq'ing jalopy. Will it be able to recover from the frame bending accident? Will it ever manifold BBQ again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th February 2016
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by photousa View Post
Hey All, My Driver Roller failed today, so like everyone else who has had this problem, my window actually dropped when I was getting ready to enter a car wash, (no kidding)..

I used Al's guide and it was spot on, made the process so much easier to have his tutorial, Thanks Al !

My question is about that black rubber, flat strip that falls off and rests at the bottom, inside your door. For the life of me, I could not figure out where that rubber strip is supposed to go. It's about 12" to 14" long and it looks like it might attach to the channel brackets that the window sits in to. I tried to attach the rubber strip to those brackets, but it was a no go...

Can anyone please explain where the rubber strip goes? And better yet, does anyone have any photos of the strip installed?

One last question, when I hit my driver window switch, the window goes down, but not as smoothly as I would like, at about 1/3 of the way down, it sounds labored, it's not one, smooth movement like the passenger window. Has anyone else experienced this? Why is the window not lowering smoothly? Thanks
I suggest you post pictures of the strip. Don't forget to compress the regulator pins onto the rollers ( I use channel locks) so there is a "double click" / the first click the pins are not seated/ it takes a click and then another click to seat them all I got
Old 12th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

Thanks Tailspin, I'm going to be looking for your video.

Thanks Quikredline, I followed Al's tutorial and used channel locks to press the ball into the socket of the roller, I also snapped the lock pin in place before pressing the ball back into the socket, that saved some grief.

I'm still wondering why the window doesn't seem to have a smooth fluid motion, I wonder if the motor is worn out, or I should have put some mineral oil in the window tracks along the sides?

I would have photographed the black rubber strip, but it was something like 15 degrees out, just had to get the job done. I was lucky it wasn't snowing or raining..

2.3T HO B235R Manual 157,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO 5spd man MPS STG2

Quote:
I'm still wondering why the window doesn't seem to have a smooth fluid motion, I wonder if the motor is worn out, or I should have put some mineral oil in the window tracks along the sides?
Are the arms on your regulator "scissor-lift braces" as the WIS calls them straight?

They bend if the green rollers break at the wrong time and then rub against the rest of the assembly.
Old 12th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

Hope this helps some of ya'll out, and maybe sells some window rollers haha http://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/5871/...ow-rattle-fix/
The Q took a hard hit last race but managed to still finish well, a triumph to the spirit of this old bbq'ing jalopy. Will it be able to recover from the frame bending accident? Will it ever manifold BBQ again??
Old 12th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin View Post
Hope this helps some of ya'll out, and maybe sells some window rollers haha http://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/5871/...ow-rattle-fix/
Hey Tailspin, Great Video! Finally the mystery of the rubber strip is solved !
Would you mind listing the names of those products that you were using, please? One was a spray synthetic lube and the other was a bonding glue.. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
Are the arms on your regulator "scissor-lift braces" as the WIS calls them straight?

They bend if the green rollers break at the wrong time and then rub against the rest of the assembly.
Mine are the scissor lift type, same as seen in Tailspins video. Check out the photo attached, I'm not sure if this is one of my problems but it looks like the previous owner put in an odd roller. Has anyone ever seen a roller like this in a Saab, or did the PO just put in whatever he could find? Maybe that's why the window is not going up and down as smoothly as I would like:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12th February 2016
Saab on the Brain!

wrong roller ( not round that I can see) and the jesus clip ( hairpin) is not down in position. The pin for the roller attached to the scissor lever is not centered in the track.
Old 13th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
wrong roller ( not round that I can see) and the jesus clip ( hairpin) is not down in position. The pin for the roller attached to the scissor lever is not centered in the track.
In Adam's video, he attaches one of the rollers with the "Loop" end of the clip facing down and on the other Roller, he positions the "loop" end of the pin in the center of the opening. Is there a wrong or right way to position the clip? Does the clip drag on the metal rail if not positioned properly?

Old 13th February 2016
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
In Adam's video, he attaches one of the rollers with the "Loop" end of the clip facing down and on the other Roller, he positions the "loop" end of the pin in the center of the opening. Is there a wrong or right way to position the clip? Does the clip drag on the metal rail if not positioned properly?
If the clip is in position it does not X tend past the roller outside diameter and it does not matter. I put th clip in position and then use th channel lock pliers to engage the pin but it takes a heck of a lot of force to do that and there are two distinct and clear clicks. The first one is easy to get to the second requires more force. The clip in the engaged position therefore is a non issue.

Correct rollers are big issue. Lol. And not cheap ones. I made that mistake. EEuroparts are best to buy from

Ps. The stealership in Canada ( I had done hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with them over the years , literally , BITD) wanted 27 dollars. Yes 27'dollars for ONE freaking roller. Such a pita business avoiding getting ripped off
Old 13th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
If the clip is in position it does not X tend past the roller outside diameter and it does not matter. I put th clip in position and then use th channel lock pliers to engage the pin but it takes a heck of a lot of force to do that and there are two distinct and clear clicks. The first one is easy to get to the second requires more force. The clip in the engaged position therefore is a non issue.

Correct rollers are big issue. Lol. And not cheap ones. I made that mistake. EEuroparts are best to buy from

Ps. The stealership in Canada ( I had done hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with them over the years , literally , BITD) wanted 27 dollars. Yes 27'dollars for ONE freaking roller. Such a pita business avoiding getting ripped off
Thanks. Believe it or not, I purchased my rollers from a former Saab dealer, now a Cadillac dealer in the suburbs around Chicago at only $4.95 each, I couldn't believe they didn't try to rip me off for more than that. The fellow in the parts department made it sound like these were a common failure part, so he had plenty of them in stock.

I'd like to find out what type of adhesive was used to attach the moisture barrier to the inside door frame. My adhesive is old and brittle & doesn't want to seal anymore. I'd like to go out and change that other roller, but it's 8 degrees in Chicago right now & no garage, that's punishing...

Old 13th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 95 Aero, 2001 95 Aero, 2000 Aero 5d

Good video.

Now I know how to put the rubber strip back in.

That is NOT the way to put the rollers in by the way. The right way is not to take the clip off. Put the roller with the clip in place in the slot. The ends of the slots are pinched down so you have to press to get them in.

Put the ball into the roller and use the channel lock pliers to snap them in. Make sure that you hear 2 TWO clicks. One is the plastic and the other is the clip.

This is much easier and faster than trying to put the clip on later.

I have seen 2 videos on this procedure and both remove the clip! They must me copying each others mistakes.
Old 13th February 2016
Saab on the Brain!

^^^ post 150 lol
Old 13th February 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 95 Aero, 2001 95 Aero, 2000 Aero 5d

Quote:
^^^ post 150 lol
LOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOL
Sorry I missed your comment in #150 LOL LOL LOL
That is the right way to do it.
Old 8th March 2016
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin View Post
This was a huge help to me, thanks Tailspin!

One final note, I went back today and replaced the last roller, (the PO had installed an incorrect roller).

I can't stress the importance of the that black rubber strip that was laying at the bottom of the interior of my door cavity. I watched the video for instruction as how to install the rubber strip, then used 3M's Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive #08008. That strip is a pain to shove into that channel inside of your door, plus, once you shove that rubber strip into that channel with adhesive on it, you must bring down the window to make sure that the window is sandwiched in the center of squeezed rubber piece. That rubber strip made the difference between my window going up and down smoothly, so it's critically important. Prior to installing that rubber strip, my window almost wanted to stop when moving about 1/2 way down, after proper installation of the rubber strip, it's factory smooth...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement