Brembo Brake upgrade useful links and facts - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd September 2017
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
I guess I am going to order Ebay rotors and the bushings from McMaster. No idea when I will get my money back from Paypal.

OP should I order the 25mm long bushings or stick with the 15mm you suggested?

Thanks!
i thought I had the McMaster package in the house but I don't. If you can wait this weekend I will install my new stainless brakelines and pull the calipers and get you the McMaster part number after verifying the fit on the install.
don't order ebay rotors. Try pricing quality Cobalt brembo blanks locally at the ac delco store and compare that to amazon shipped, then machine the centers. easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd September 2017

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
i thought I had the McMaster package in the house but I don't. If you can wait this weekend I will install my new stainless brakelines and pull the calipers and get you the McMaster part number after verifying the fit on the install.
don't order ebay rotors. Try pricing quality Cobalt brembo blanks locally at the ac delco store and compare that to amazon shipped, then machine the centers. easy
What do the centers need machined out to?
Old 24th September 2017

Quote:
Any idea what those centers need to be machined out to?

Thanks!

Old 24th September 2017

I ordered these bushings:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#6679k39/=19ins4v
Old 27th September 2017

So it's looking like Clubsport and I are going to meet for lunch Friday and he has the parts in my town. Hopefully this goes well and everyone will be happy!
Old 29th September 2017

I received the rotors from Clubsport. Installation will be tomorrow. Thanks
Old 30th September 2017

There are clearly difference in models. 25mm long bushings will not work on my car. The bracket is only 20mm wide. I am going to cut these 25mm ones down with a hacksaw.

So if you have 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero Sportcombi 25mm long bushings don't work.

25mm

20mm
Old 30th September 2017

My fancy jig to cut down the 25mm bushings. It's an M12 bolt with the head cut off, bushing over it, and the bushing clamped in a vice. Bushing wont crush and it will stay in place. I used a cutoff wheel on my grinder to take them down to 20mm.

Old 30th September 2017

I am not sure why my car is different than everyone elses. Maybe because it's a Aero or Sportcombi? I did not have to do anything to the backing plates. Everything fits perfectly like it was made for the Brembos. Here are packing plate pics and the finished pic of the passenger side. Time to do the drivers side.

Those are the Cobalt SS rotors and actually the part number on the rotors is a Centric rotor for an HHR SS.

Old 1st October 2017

I bought a brake bleeder that you hook up to your compressor. It works but would take a massive compressor and tank to get the job done. I said **** it and had my brother just pump the pedal. Speed bleeders or a helper is the best way.

I bled the calipers passenger inside bleeder then outside then driver inside then outside.

I bought used calipers on the cheap from Ebay and they came with nice pads. The pads were almost 100%. So I sanded the pads to make a new surface and re-used them.

I did about 5 100mph to 20mph HARD stops to bed the pads in and then drove awhile to cool them. They work great now. You hit the pedal and the car stops NOW!!! They are so good that it freaks out the ABS computer. Even though you aren't losing traction the ABS computer kicks in when you are almost stopped because you are stopping so fast. Now I notice that my rear rotors are warped. FRAK!!

What upgrades can I do to the rears?

THIS is a MUST do upgrade for your 9-3. It is cheap and you can buy the parts here and there as you can afford them. So you get the calipers on ebay from LKQ for $249 or pay $399 for new calipers. Get the lines from Genuine Saab with their kit. It works great and has the banjo bolts and washers you need. 20mm long bushings from McMaster and M12x40mmx175 pitch bolts from local hardware store. Rotors are the tricky part. You can do what I did and use Cobalt rotors that have been machined to fit the Saab hub or just use Saab Aero 314mm rotors. Just get the Ebay Saab rotors for $67 shipped and be done with it. The hell I went through to get the Cobalt Centric rotors machined to fit the Saab was not worth it. I would paint the center of the rotor and paint out a little and let the pad wipe the paint off. Saab rotors are much easier.

And last but not least....yes they are fugly. I bought used calipers and cleaned them the best I could. Brembos don't clean up well apparently. There is something about the the Brembo factory finish that won't let it clean up. It is a weird Aluminium smooth feeling finish. I will need to repaint them and put new decals on them for them to look good but for now they are 110% functional. I might just leave them fugly and stay under the radar.

Last edited by freakaccident; 1st October 2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 22nd November 2017
Saab on the Brain!

I finally found my Mcmaster carr bushings they are exactly as detailed in the OP (Guerbear)) very well presented post with description and part number; 1 Dry-Running Sleeve Bearing with Steel Shell
PTFE-Lined TIN Bronze, for 12mm Shaft Diameter, 15mm Length

I decided to service the Brembo's for winter today. They have been on the car for coming up at least three years. I never used the sleeves so I decided to install them.

Couple of notes: flange bolts are better than hex head bolts. The flange really makes the fastener work better, just like the OEM fastener which is a flange bolt.I use 10.9 yellow zinc coated flange bolts. Blue Loctite on the threads.
When I installed this kit three years ago I was deep into purple silicone brake lube for pins and pads and bridges. Not long after I switched to Lloyds Moly antiseize. I find this better. The silicone stuff had worked but there was a little corrosion here and there.

I was intending to install my stainless brake lines but decided not to. I was also going to surface grind true the rotors as I was not 100% happy with the braking vibration.
But as I also found my rust paint is not doing well on the brake shields, and as I have been thoroughly infected by Postiv's continuing saga refurbishing his Norwegian 9-5 jewel, I just serviced the calipers and put off any further work until next week. This is how they are after three years...

Then I will install the stainless lines, along with new AC DELCO 314 mm Saab aero rotors , (coated with the zinc rich paint I use). New Powdercoated calipers ( same metallic silver color as before ) ready to assemble with new pistons after coating.

and I will powdercoat both the knuckle and the brake shields...I will refurbish the take off calipers with new pistons and seals. They are not sticking, but there is some evidence of corrosion on the piston cavity, which is normal. The biggest pita with powdercoating calipers is buying the (expensive) correct genuine Brembo decals for the calipers...

The ceramic 17D series pads are working very well, so I will keep using them. They are about half worn...

Last edited by qwikredline; 22nd November 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 15th August 2018

One of the inside pistons in my LF caliper is sticking and has caused that pad to wear down. I am going to tear down the caliper and rebuild it this weekend. Blech. I have tracked down all of the parts I think. I will post some pics and report back.
Old 26th October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
One of the inside pistons in my LF caliper is sticking and has caused that pad to wear down. I am going to tear down the caliper and rebuild it this weekend. Blech. I have tracked down all of the parts I think. I will post some pics and report back.
Was a mess. https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=717250

I ended up buying two new calipers BUT in the process I found out how to rebuild Brembos.

I still think this is the damn best mod you can do to your 9-3. Seriously. If you haven't dropped the $ on this yet you really really should. It is cheap and your 9-3 will stop on a dime and never fade.

My only complaint is with my new pads. They are Stoptech's and they are doooog**** first thing in the morning. Backing out of the driveway I might as well have no brakes. They need to warm up a tad before they do anything. I nearly backed into a car the first time. Semi-race pads aren't advertised as good street pads though.

OH and your front wheels always look darker if you use dusty pads. Lol.
Old 27th October 2018
Saab on the Brain!

17D1379C acdelco ceramics are the answer. Stock HP1000 Brembo/ferodo do the same thing when cold as you have found Track pads don’t work out on the street especially for the heavier Saab. Initial bite is what you need and cold temperature friction. Ceramics provide that.
Old 31st January 2019

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Vector 2.0t Biopower

I hate to resurrect old threads.

I wonder, how would I go about seeing if these brakes fit?

https://zzperformance.com/collection...ront-brake-kit
Old 31st January 2019

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: Dyno tuned 9-3 Aero 2.8T 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyBoPetey View Post
I hate to resurrect old threads.

I wonder, how would I go about seeing if these brakes fit?

https://zzperformance.com/collection...ront-brake-kit
Seems a bit overkill unless you're tracking your car. Not to mention kit wont be a direct bolt on. What yr saab and model do you have? If it's not an aero you will need to modify dust shields. You would need to machine the kits rotor center to fit over the saab wheel hub and you will need the 20mm caliper mounting bushings mentioned throughout this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't both the factory cobalt ss brembos and the ones listed in the zzp big brake kit both 4 piston? Is the main benifit going from the stock cobalt size rotor of 12.4" to 14.5"?
Old 31st January 2019
Saab on the Brain!

the diameter of the rotors in this kit is larger; the swept pad area no greater , perhaps less. I didn't bother to measure. They fit a cobalt; will adapt to Saab but as pointed out the rotor centers will need machining to fit and wheel choice becomes an issue, 17 " saab wheels may be an issue.

My guess is, not worth the effort. This kit is a Camaro rear brake set up FYI
Old 31st January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Seems a bit overkill unless you're tracking your car. Not to mention kit wont be a direct bolt on. What yr saab and model do you have? If it's not an aero you will need to modify dust shields. You would need to machine the kits rotor center to fit over the saab wheel hub and you will need the 20mm caliper mounting bushings mentioned throughout this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't both the factory cobalt ss brembos and the ones listed in the zzp big brake kit both 4 piston? Is the main benifit going from the stock cobalt size rotor of 12.4" to 14.5"?
I have an '09 Vector Sedan. I know the kit won't be a direct bolt on. But I thought it would be safe to assume that if both kits (OP's kit and my 14.5" kit) are marketed for the Cobalt, that their mounting would be the same? Then again, assumption is the mother of all stuff ups!.

If they are roughly the same price, why not go bigger?. Don't bigger brakes provide more stopping power?. I know they give a higher "w ank" factor.

Wheel clearance doesn't bother me. I plan to go with 18" Audi wheels. I could use wobble bolts (what ever they are?). But I intending to use wheel adaptors to be legal and safe. Should give me an extra inch in radius and 3/4" in width.

Please don't flame me. I'm not saying you guys are wrong. Just having a discussion and edumecating myself

Last edited by PeteyBoPetey; 31st January 2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
Old 31st January 2019

Quote:
the diameter of the rotors in this kit is larger; the swept pad area no greater , perhaps less. I didn't bother to measure. They fit a cobalt; will adapt to Saab but as pointed out the rotor centers will need machining to fit and wheel choice becomes an issue, 17 " saab wheels may be an issue.

My guess is, not worth the effort. This kit is a Camaro rear brake set up FYI
If they are off a Camaro, you wouldn't happen to know the part numbers?. I live in Australia, so shipping for something as heavy as this would cost my left nut. If I have the part number, I can see if I can buy 1 caliper locally and see if it fits.
Old 31st January 2019
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

Better tires>bigger brakes. Stickier tire compound=better stopping ability. Start there.

If you plan to track the car, yes a brake upgrade is essential as the stockers will fade fast. Street? Waste of money.

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement