Help! My alarm is mysteriously going off! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM
Unhappy Help! My alarm is mysteriously going off!

ARG, as I lay in bed I hear a car alarm going off, quite annoying I think to myself. Then I realized it was MY CAR. Noone was trying to break in, but it seems that the alarm is going off for no reason. The keyfob button was having no effect, and the car has no power for some reason. I pop the hood and disconnect the battery, but to my earthshattering dismay the alarm keeps going off!!! So here I am, around 11:15pm with the alarm blaring,wearing nothing but my boxers (with cars driving past of course) under the hood thinking to myself that itll take a long time to find the right fuse. I re-disconnect and reconnect the battery, the car comes to life, the lights start flashing and the alarm gets even louder! However the fob now works and I get the alarm to turn off. WHATS THE DEAL? Can a bad battery connection suddenly trigger the alarm? My terminals seem to be a bit corroded.
The Q took a hard hit last race but managed to still finish well, a triumph to the spirit of this old bbq'ing jalopy. Will it be able to recover from the frame bending accident? Will it ever manifold BBQ again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2010 Saab NG 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin
ARG, as I lay in bed I hear a car alarm going off, quite annoying I think to myself. Then I realized it was MY CAR. Noone was trying to break in, but it seems that the alarm is going off for no reason. The keyfob button was having no effect, and the car has no power for some reason. I pop the hood and disconnect the battery, but to my earthshattering dismay the alarm keeps going off!!! So here I am, around 11:15pm with the alarm blaring,wearing nothing but my boxers (with cars driving past of course) under the hood thinking to myself that itll take a long time to find the right fuse. I re-disconnect and reconnect the battery, the car comes to life, the lights start flashing and the alarm gets even louder! However the fob now works and I get the alarm to turn off. WHATS THE DEAL? Can a bad battery connection suddenly trigger the alarm? My terminals seem to be a bit corroded.
Yeah mines kept doing that too I just went and set the alarm for door only, It was set up for full car protection ever since the change it hasnt done it. Though it could be that either the Module battery is going Or your remote battery couldnt really say.
Old 10th May 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Have you gotten STA Service theft alarm message... take a look and search for it... even if you did not it sonds liek th einternal battery in the alrm ( the lrams battery back up) is shot. What happnes is if your main car battery is doscnnected ( or is not serviceable maybe like due to corosion) while teh alram is activated the alram switches to a mode that utilizes its ineterna battery as a back up, th ecar thinks maybe someone ahs discnnected it or the main battery faiels and it still wnats to prtect your goodies)

Old 10th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Will simply disconnecting the battery with the doors locked set off the alarm?
The Q took a hard hit last race but managed to still finish well, a triumph to the spirit of this old bbq'ing jalopy. Will it be able to recover from the frame bending accident? Will it ever manifold BBQ again??
Old 10th May 2008
TurboBlix

check it out
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88994

i had to get the siren battery replaced. others more handy with a soldering iron have done it themselves (and saved mucho $$$$). read the thread or do a search on the forums for "service theft alarm" and see if your symptoms match up (sounds like they do tho). if you put it off long enough, the alarm will go off while you're driving
Old 11th May 2008

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Two 9-5 2.3t SE autos

Yes, it sounds like the batteries in the alarm siren need changing. There is a lot of information about this on this and other Saab forums.

My alarm did the same. I was getting no messages. I have now removed the batteries from the siren and wired up an external battery box with four AA batteries. The alarm has been reliable since (approx 3-4 months now).

There is a lot to read on this subject, but to help you here's the story:

The alarm siren is located behind the wheel arch liner and easy to get to if you remove one side of the liner.
The alarm siren has two batteries soldered onto the circuit board and are meant to last the life of the siren, but they don't and typically start failing when the car is 8+ years old. The Saab dealer will just replace the whole siren, but you can save a lot of money if you handy with a soldering iron and replace the batteries yourself.
However, many have found that replacing these batteries is a short term fix (often just a few months) and the alarm will soon start playing up again. This is because the replacement batteries are not quite the same as the original batteries in the alarm siren. I seem to remember it was the 'E' at the end of the part number which makes a big difference in the specification.
Therefore, many of us have just soldered in wires to an external battery box containing four AA batteries. This is proving a better solution and lasts longer and also is much easier and cheaper to replace the batteries in the future. The battery box can be located within the engine bay for easier access.

Some reading for you:

http://home.datacomm.ch/saeuberli/fi..._batteries.pdf
http://www.fixmysaab.com/9-5_repair/...tery/intro.asp

The external battery solution looks like this:

Old 11th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

WOW Thanks for your help! I will look into doing this sometime during the week. Yipee
Old 11th May 2008

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Two 9-5 2.3t SE autos

I got my battery box off eBay. You can pick them up very cheap. See this item on eBay as an example.
Total solution cost just a few pounds (or dollas).
Old 25th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

So I've removed the alarm assembly out of my car and its sitting on a shelf in the garage. I dont have a dremmel, but I've been meaning to get one so I am just sitting on it and dealing with the "Service Theft Alarm" warning I get at startup. If the batteries are indeed going, could the alarm go off while out of the car? Its been out for about a week and has not gone off like I expected to. If it is possible it can still go off detached from the car, could it be something else such as a tilt sensor?
Old 25th May 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: None now
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin
So I've removed the alarm assembly out of my car and its sitting on a shelf in the garage. I dont have a dremmel, but I've been meaning to get one so I am just sitting on it and dealing with the "Service Theft Alarm" warning I get at startup. If the batteries are indeed going, could the alarm go off while out of the car? Its been out for about a week and has not gone off like I expected to. If it is possible it can still go off detached from the car, could it be something else such as a tilt sensor?
The module that you pulled is the one making the noise. Take your time and don't sweat it since your neighbors won't hate you for keeping them up at night.
Old 14th November 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero, 1991 900S Classic

Can anyone tell me if the remote battery fix (4 AA's) works? I have to fix this problem on my car and want to know if this is a good work-around. Thanks!
Old 14th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

I have heard it does, but I wired mine backwards and fried the unit :P
Old 14th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE Wagon '00 155K

Just send it to BBA reman. They do amazing job and have quick turnaround. You can purchase the service on their website or find it for much better price on Ebay. They fixed my unit up even though I attempted several DIY fixes on it (including 2x battery replacement, capacitor swap, and external battery pack). No questions asked and works like a charm for 6 months now
Old 14th November 2009

Join Date: May 2006                                                

Is this an issue on 2002 and newer models of the 9-5?

I read on another Saab board that it predominatly afflicts '99 to 2001 9-5's. Is that true?
Infiniti J30t
Porsche 996
Old 14th November 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3, 2004 9-5 Aero

It is because those cars are older, and thus, the batteries for the alarm are older as well.
Old 19th April 2010

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: saab 9-5

link to CR17335 batteries with pins.

Easy job.....good luck

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-Brand-New-S...item335b2e8080
Old 22nd October 2015

Join Date: Oct 2015                                                
Default Can't you just REMOVE the alarm module itself?

What exactly is the danger of removing the alarm module altogether? I have no fear of having my car stolen or messed with. But I live in Houston, Texas. I can remove the fuse during the winter months and crack the windows, but during the summer? Hell no. Even if I have to lock and unlock the car manually, I don't care.
Old 22nd October 2015

Join Date: Oct 2014                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 aero conversion
Default Alarm module removal.

I pulled my alarm module out with no issues other than you get a "service theft alarm" warning at every start up. I got the mechanic to turn the warning off using his TechII and it's been great.

You still have central locking via your fob although you lose the chirps (no big deal, you can get the horn to honk with TechII if you want). Also, you still get the flashing red LED on the dash so the car appears alarmed. I've read on here that the immobiliser is still active too, although this hasn't been confirmed.

Happy Days!
Old 23rd October 2015

Join Date: Oct 2015                                                
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikdewy View Post
I pulled my alarm module out with no issues other than you get a "service theft alarm" warning at every start up. I got the mechanic to turn the warning off using his TechII and it's been great.

You still have central locking via your fob although you lose the chirps (no big deal, you can get the horn to honk with TechII if you want). Also, you still get the flashing red LED on the dash so the car appears alarmed. I've read on here that the immobiliser is still active too, although this hasn't been confirmed.

Happy Days!
Thanks for the prompt reply. I know what I'm doing this weekend. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement