Beginning to Wonder about Auto Repair Shop...Tire Balance Question - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th January 2014

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2010 NG 9-5 XWD Aero 2.8T
Default Beginning to Wonder about Auto Repair Shop...Tire Balance Question

So I had a directional tire installed - they installed it in the wrong direction. I took the car back the very next day and they corrected the issue; however, the balance was now woefully off. Returned a week later and they corrected the balance issue (sort of, still a bit shaky) but (and this is where I need your help) - they left the half torn off adhesive residue on the wheel - not a big deal but it looks bad and sort of speaks to the quality of their service IMO. If you are unfamiliar with the adhesive tape use for wheel weights - its like the 3M adhesive tape with a small cushion material. What they left on the wheel was the adhesive and cushion material. Please tell me if I'm being ridiculous about this - I am rather sensitive about my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th January 2014
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 SS Aero

Don't worry about the adhesive, it won't affect balance. I have quite a bit on my rims, even the best shops don't have time to clean it off.

But sounds like your shop should be added to the "never again" pile if they can't even recognize a directional tire. Find a reputable tire shop that has a Road-Force Balancing machine. It's much more accurate than a conventional balancer that most generic shops have.
Old 14th January 2014
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Try Goo Gone ... or some cleaner as a last resort like nail polish remover.

They should be mounting the weights on the back or inner side.

Old 15th January 2014

The weights are on the outer edge of the wheel in plain view.
Old 16th January 2014
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear

WD-40 works good for removing sticker residue, just wash it off with soap afterwards. I've never seen anyone put stick on weights in front of the spokes. Usually they are mounted just inside the spokes and also towards the inside edge. Wheels shouldn't be that hard to balance as long as the rim and tire are good. I would have the one done again and maybe by a better shop.
Old 16th January 2014
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: Too many!

The shop I am currently working for uses some sand paper and brake parts cleaner to get the adhesive off, if it is not a painted rim. If it is a painted rim I usually use a pressure washer and WD-40 seems to be the best cleaner ever invented.

I would add it to the list of "do not go there again" shops. But if all they do is tires typically those shops are pretty shady and you cannot complain because of their prices. I always clean the residue off, but that is just how I am!
Old 18th January 2014

Thanks guys. The other issue I had (which I didn't mention before) was when they were correcting the directional tire issue I noticed that they were operating on the tail light section of my car. Some dude was actually walking around with the entire left rear turn signal section of my NG 9-5! I asked what they were doing and the manager said they were "repairing" my burned out reverse light (never asked me). I replied...that the 2010/2011 9-5's only have one reverse light and there isn't even a bulb socket on the left. Knowing first hand how expensive those LED lights are (I paid over $600 to repair the middle section) I was pretty pissed. They put it back and everything appears to be fine but still, WTF?

I think I'm going to move on to another tire shop considering they incorrectly installed the directional tire, incorrectly balanced my wheel and also placed the wheel weights on the outer edge of the wheel, and finally tinkered with my tail light section without even informing me of a "potential" problem.
Old 21st January 2014

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 SE

I know what you mean, I do most all my own mechanic work and maintenance. Obviously I don't have a tire machine, balancer, or alignment machine so those are pretty much the only operations I farm out to others.

I went to get tires one time, and was sitting in the waiting room, I happened to look out into the shop area, saw my car up on a hoist with the hood up and the tech was dropping the oil out of the engine. I immediately grabbed the service advisor and asked why I was getting an oil change, I never asked for it, and I had changed it only a few hundred miles ago. They didn't make me pay for it, but I got no answer as to why they did it either.

The same shop over tightened a lug nut with an impact wrench so that it couldn't be loosened, on my wife's Mercedes with Alloy rims. I took it back the following day after getting new tires so they could re torque the lug nuts. I looked out in the shop and they had the car up on the hoist and were cutting out one of the nuts with a cutting torch. I asked WTF? They said they realized the nuts had been over tightened by the tech working the day before, he had over tightened the nuts on several cars he worked on. So they tried to loosen them and then apply proper torque on the nuts, but one of them twisted off. They discolored the alloy rim while torching out the nut, but they did pay for a reconditioned wheel, but it meant yet a 3rd trip in to have it exchanged. I have never went back there again, that was some years ago.

Sometimes, I think they just try to find stuff wrong, so they can charge you for it. When they tell the average Joe, we found you had a reverse light out, so we just went ahead and fixed it for you, oh by the way that will be an extra $50. The customer will just say, 'I had no idea that wasn't working, Thanks for fixing it for me' and pay the bill. Then on the way home the customer is thinking, 'These guys really look out for me at that shop'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement