Easter Eggs and Hidden Features...lets list them all - Page 17 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st March 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
Nope, I just went through every single setting on my car with a TechII and my center console button is still 2 stage. I hate it.
New here ... Just in the process of restoring a 99 9-5 to working order ... What is "tech2"? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaplum View Post
New here ... Just in the process of restoring a 99 9-5 to working order ... What is "tech2"? Thanks
Tech II or Tech 2 is a piece of equipment which can change certian settings in your car. The Tech II equipment is located at a Saab dealer or some indy mechanics have it.

An example would be if you wanted to disable the chirps your alarm system gives you every time you lock, unlock or open your trunk, you need the Tech II equipment to make this change. You can't do it without it.
Old 5th April 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T

Has anyone mentioned these?:

-Ignition module continues to fire the spark plugs for a few seconds after you turn the car off to "clean" the plugs.

- The lights on either side of the headlamp housings that come on when you put the car in reverse to light up the areas beside the car.

Old 5th April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsaab View Post
Has anyone mentioned these?:

- The lights on either side of the headlamp housings that come on when you put the car in reverse to light up the areas beside the car.
I love this feature too, but 2001 was the last model year to offer this in the 9-5. GM bean counters strike again.
Old 5th April 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 2.3t - '00 9-3 Base
Default Easter egg?

Should have posted this a few months ago when it was pertinent, and I'm not sure if it's anything special or not.

For those in the winter snow/ice belt:

Tapping lightly on the windshield wiper lever will bring the blades up higher on the windshield where the glass is a little warmer helping to minimize ice build up on the blades during snowstorm driving.

You can only tap so far before the arm decides to make it's full pass.

Any other tips on minimizing ice build up on the windshield and wipers during snowstorms??
Old 17th February 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900s, 01 9-5 Aero Wagon

When you're using the cruise control, and you need to accelerate, go as fast as you need, and when you're done, just cruise and it will automatically maintain the same speed you initially set.
Old 17th February 2012

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 SE V6 3.0L
Exclamation Right Side Mirrior Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
I tried mine, and couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I have the sequence wrong. do you have to be in reverse before pushing the button. that is what I tried, to no avail.
First, the car has to be in reverse for this to work. Second, the motor gears need to be clean or at least have been moved recently.

Mine stops working every now and then (2000 9-5 SE). If I mess with the mirror and move it up/down and left/right the buttom works again. Someday, I might take it apart to see if it is filthy, but if it ain't broke, best not to mess with it.
Old 17th February 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero; 1995 900SEt; 1968 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP900 View Post
When you're using the cruise control, and you need to accelerate, go as fast as you need, and when you're done, just cruise and it will automatically maintain the same speed you initially set.
Isn't that how most cruise controls work? (Sorry, I really don't know the answer to this...)

2002 9-5 Aero
Boonville, MO
Old 17th February 2012
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: BUICK: building a better Saab

I was wondering why they short on the window.

Of course for us info junkies an open SiD and tune from our favorite tuners is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabllh View Post
Should have posted this a few months ago when it was pertinent, and I'm not sure if it's anything special or not.

For those in the winter snow/ice belt:

Tapping lightly on the windshield wiper lever will bring the blades up higher on the windshield where the glass is a little warmer helping to minimize ice build up on the blades during snowstorm driving.

You can only tap so far before the arm decides to make it's full pass.

Any other tips on minimizing ice build up on the windshield and wipers during snowstorms??
Old 18th February 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Gordon's Bay, Republic of the Western Cape, South Africa
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8 V6 TS AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genespleen View Post
Isn't that how most cruise controls work? (Sorry, I really don't know the answer to this...)
Yep, IME, all cruise controls work like this.
Old 21st April 2012

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 9-3, 9-5

Great place to read for a newbie Saab guy.

Thank for the tips!
Old 21st April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

The lumbar support seats; and of course the list of Tech II options.

Locking and Alarm System
  • Number of "chirps" (0-7) during alarm enable / disable
  • Volume of "chirps" (L,M,H) during alarm enable / disable
  • Number of light flashes (0-7) during alarm enable / disable
  • Doors unlocked by first press of "unlock" button (driver's door or all doors)
  • Doors lock automatically when car exceeds 7.5 mph (on/off)
  • Driver's door unlocks automatically when key removed (on/off)
  • Trunk locks automatically when car exceeds set speed (1-8 mph) (on/off)
  • Allow trunk to be unlocked when car is moving (on/off)
  • Automatic locking of trunk if it isn't opened within a specified time (1 sec - 4 min) (on/off)
  • Automatic locking of trunk when closed (on/off)
  • Automatic locking of car if left unlocked for a specified time (on/off)
Lighting Systems
  • Daytime Running Lights:
    Controlled by presence/absence of fuse 35 (not a Tech II option). This dictates the behavior of the lighting system when (a) the car is on, and (b) the light switch is in the leftmost (off) position. With fuse 35 present, the lighting is the same as with the switch in the middle position (see below for details). With fuse 35 absent, no lights are turned on.
  • Headlights:
    There are several options, but only two are described on the bulletin boards: option 1 ("Euro") and option 3 ("US"). They differ only in the behavior of the lights when the light switch is in the middle position, as follows:
    • Option 1 ("Euro"): Parking lights and city lights. (City lights are the tiny 7 watt bulbs next to the main lights.)
    • Option 3 ("US"): Parking lights and (if the car is on) low beam headlights at reduced brightness. (Xenon headlights cannot reduce brightness, so full low beams are used in cars with Xenon headlights.)
Some other notes on lighting behavior:
    • On cars with Xenon headlights, the halogen lamp inboard of the Xenons is used only when the driver pulls the turn signal lever to flash the headlights while the headlights are otherwise off and Daytime Running Lights are disabled.
    • There is no way to get full headlights to stay on when the car is off (except for the brief "Follow Me Home" feature, see below). Parking lights stay on with the car off if the light switch is in the middle position.
  • Fog lights:
    • Option 1 ("Euro"): fog lights can be on when light switch in middle or right position, including when high beams on
    • Option 3 ("US"): fog lights can be on only with light switch in right position, and only when low beams selected
  • "Follow Me Home" feature:
    When turn signal lever is pulled after car is turned off, main headlights will come on for a short time. The time is configurable through Tech II (20-50 sec; default 30).
  • Front marker lights on when car in reverse (on/off)
Indicators and Warnings
  • Disable "Shift Up" indicator (on/off)
  • Disable "Check Brake Light" warning on startup (on/off)
  • Disable seat belt alarm on startup (on/off)
  • Disable alarm when door open with key inserted (on/off)
  • Range of temperatures for temperature gauge. There are actually five Tech II settings that control the behavior of the temperature gauge. Normally anything between 83C and 115C is shown as horizontal on the gauge. The most common change to this option is to set both "horizontal low temp" and "horizontal high temp" to the same value (typically 90C), thus eliminating the "dead zone" around horizontal and causing the gauge to more accurately reflect the true temperature.
  • Range of pressures for the turbo boost gauge. (Sorry, no detail available on how this works, but it's probably similar to the temperature gauge above.)
  • Fuel level at which "low fuel" light comes on (can be set up to tank).
  • Fuel level defined as "empty" (defaults to 2 gallons). This is used by both the fuel gauge and the trip computer.
  • Calibration of outside temperature display.
  • Adjust speedometer for different size tires. (Yes, this needs to be changed if you change your tire size.)
  • Night mode:
    • Level at which to re-illuminate gas gauge. (Typically same as low fuel light threshold.)
    • Speed at which to re-illuminate upper end of speedometer (typically 85 mph).
    • Temperature at which to re-illuminate temperature gauge (typically the beginning of the high temperature range).
Climate Control
  • Zones: can be forced to single zone, forced to dual zone (the default), or set to choose between single and dual zones based on whether someone's sitting in the front passenger seat.
  • Remember last climate control setting on startup (on/off)
  • Heated seats cycle duration (default 14 minutes)
The following climate control configuration choices are not dealer Tech II settings; they are driver-controllable (see details in owner's manual):
  • Pre-programmed settings to be used when car is started after being off for 10 minutes or more.
  • Minimum outside temperature for use of A/C compressor (default 41F, can be set to 55F).
  • Automatic use of recirculation at low speeds (on/off).
  • Automatic use of rear window defroster in cold temperatures (on/off).
  • Metric or imperial units.
Audio System

These are not dealer Tech II settings; they are driver-controllable (see details in owner's manual):
  • Maximum starting volume
  • Maximum volume when telephone/OnStar in use
  • Speed-dependent volume (on/off)
  • Loudness feature (on/off)
Miscellaneous
  • Extra wiper sweep after wash (on/off) (not possible with rain-sensing wipers)
Sources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement