"rams horn" exhaust manifold - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th August 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 saab 9-5 aero
Default "rams horn" exhaust manifold

Has anyone come across a tubular mandrel bent exhaust manifold? Im interested in finding a replacement for the stock cast one. I have a source to have one made BUT the cost will be something like my left arm and my right leg plus interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th August 2011

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: '00 9-5 Aero

+1 As the stock one looks to be very inefficient.
Old 15th August 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 saab 9-5 aero

http://www.maptun.com/shopProduct.ph...&cg=757&car=95 found one but wow price is insane

Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen
Default Try GenuineSaab

GS listed one on their web site a few years back. Even if it is no longer one of their "on the shelf" performance parts they may have the prints/jigs to fab one for you.

Jak Stoll used to offer these too, but I don't know where he is working, if he still has the equipment to fab a tubular header, or if he still responds to e-mails sent to his old Jak Stoll Performance website.

IIRC Jak's price was the lowest, followed by GS, with Maptun and others significantly higher.

Hey! It looks like Jak has relocated to Portland Oregon and his web site is still active. Price listed at $800 or $1,150 each, depending on grade of stainless steel requested.

2000 9-5 lpt Sedan, Retired at 318,000 miles

Last edited by MI-Roger; 15th August 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp. The stock unit is of the log-type, which isn't as efficient as tubular, but there are certainly worse designs out there. Go look at the manifold on a stock Volvo whiteblock, for example. Its downright awful.

Tubular manifolds are a giant hassle. You will have to relocate coolant and oil lines at the very least. There are probably several other modifications required as well.
Old 15th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 03 Aero Wagon 5 spd, 85 turbo 3dr 5 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT5 View Post
I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp.
Agreed, so many other things to spend money on before even having to think about worrying that the exhaust manifold isn't efficient. There are literally maybe a dozen, maybe 20 9-5's in the world that are making enough power that the factory exhaust manifold is a bottleneck/power limiter.
Old 16th August 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT5 View Post
I wouldn't even think about messing with the exhaust manifold until you are pushing 400 hp. The stock unit is of the log-type, which isn't as efficient as tubular, but there are certainly worse designs out there. Go look at the manifold on a stock Volvo whiteblock, for example. Its downright awful.

Tubular manifolds are a giant hassle. You will have to relocate coolant and oil lines at the very least. There are probably several other modifications required as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Agreed, so many other things to spend money on before even having to think about worrying that the exhaust manifold isn't efficient. There are literally maybe a dozen, maybe 20 9-5's in the world that are making enough power that the factory exhaust manifold is a bottleneck/power limiter.
Actually you need a manifold to reloacte the turbo to install andythin glarger thatn a T25 TD04, or the intake pipe hits the AC bracket molded inot the block, not really for performance.. Tey alos don' thelp on tubo cars all that much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement