SaabCentral Forums banner

Transmission fluid options for MU9 F40

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  twelthlvl19 
#1 ·
So, my 2007 9-3 6-speed manual came with the MU9 gearset F40. Itwas originally filled with GM 88862472 gear oil (Castrol Burmah, BOT 0063, 75W-85 GL-4). About 2.5 years ago, I drained and filled with RedLine (50204) SAE 75W80 API GL-4. The consensus then around here was that the RedLine handled cold shifting better and reduced the 'notchy' feel. I personally didn't notice much change of the notchy feel, but it does shift better when cold.

in about 2009 GM released an improved fluid for the F40, GM 93165290 (BOT 402) but from what I can tell this was done specifically for newer F40 transmissions (MR6, MK6, etc). It is still a GL-4 oil, meaning it's compatible with the original fluid in my MU9 (and by extension the RedLine fluid).

Now that I've been messing with my transmission shifing slop and becoming over-aware of sounds my trans is making, I wonder if the RedLine is the best I can be using. I've noticed a but of a whine in 3rd gear in very limited conditions such as light throttle level driving. Hard throttle or coasting it goes away. My trans fluid is still clean and transparent red-ish, so I don't believe there's any damage happening.

Would it be worth changing over to the newer 93165290 fluid for future longevity? I assume they superseded the old fluid for a reason. Or am I over-thinking all this? I just want to take care of my car the best I can. Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
See TSB 471-207, issued in September 2008, covering MY 2007-2009 9-3 within VIN Range 71000001 - 91003601 (4D/5D) and 76000001 - 96000467 (CV). There is a rubber bushing on the gear shift cable at the transmission end that transfers noise into the cabin. To test if this is the cause of your noise complaint, see if the noise changes in tenor, pitch or quality by moving the shift lever to one side while the noise is occurring. If this is the case, replace the gear cable with replacement cable, part no. 55568907.

#5 ·
Cool, thanks for giving me all the info about it, too. I don't suppose there's a way to view TSB information without paying or making another account somewhere, is there?

About the trans fluid now. Now that I know it's not transmission damage, any reason to drain and fill to the newer fluid? Will it gain me anything.

#6 ·
It is available in WIS, the Saab Workshop Information System (the factory manual which was only available via this software). The link below will take you to a free downloadable version of WIS compatible with Windows 7 and up. The original program had a 16 bit installer. The software linked to below was modified by SC member CaptainFrank to install using Windows of more modern configuration.

WIS and EPC for Windows 10

I got a new computer a few months ago. No Word and no print to pdf capability, so I can no longer print the pages and host them on OneDrive.

#8 ·
So, my 2007 9-3 6-speed manual came with the MU9 gearset F40. Itwas originally filled with GM 88862472 gear oil (Castrol Burmah, BOT 0063, 75W-85 GL-4). About 2.5 years ago, I drained and filled with RedLine (50204) SAE 75W80 API GL-4.
could you post a picture of where the fill and check plug is located? I’ve seen some videos where it is the exact same bolt as the drain plug but when I looked for the check fill plug, could not find it. Most it was on the top of the transmission but no dip stick. just wondering if there are different versions of this model that have a different head on the fill plug or if it can be located somewhere else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.