OG 9-3 ACC Blowing Hot Air Only - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Feb 2019                                                
Default OG 9-3 ACC Blowing Hot Air Only

So my acc was working a few months ago (tested it during spring to see if it need anything, worked fine).

Right now, it only blows hot air. The compressor kicks in, so that's working, and if i turn the temp all the way down low - i can feel it blowing a bit cool (not cold at all, but not hot).

I have tried calibrating it and i can hear some strange noises from under the dashboard. The bad thing is, my ACC display is not working properly and i can't read the exact code (may be a 02, 12 or 22 - something ending with 2).

Whenever i turn the temperature down (to less than the current inside temp) - i can hear the compressor going off - so i guess the sensors are working and triggering the compressor to start.

I believe there's something with the flaps, but i could only find info relating the 9-5 (which has dual zone climate).

I took apart the dashboard, removed the ACC control unit and the radio to have better access, also removed the whole glove box par and panel.

I found 2 stepper motors : one right behind the ACC control unit and one one side, on the passenger footwell. I managed to get test the side motor and it's working fine - it's moving some levers and it seems to influence the flow of (cool) air : however, it only seems to blow cool air when it's at it's max closed (or open) position - when the acc is set to HI (under 13 or 14 degrees celsius). So this stepper works fine.

The other stepper, i did not manage to test - don't know what it does - i can remove it, i can see it's screws but it's in a tight position so i'd rather wait.

One thing i noticed is that both steppers are really hot after just a few minutes of use (they get to 50-60 deg Celsius in just 1-2 minutes - and they don't do anything, they don't move, they just get hot by sitting there). Is this normal?

What does the center stepper do?

Any fix for this whole thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

The center stepper sets the distribution, the one on the side does the blend door that controls temp.

I'd make sure the internal temp sensor is working correctly, fan is spinning for it and that the cigarette light hole is properly plugged (according to the manual it needs to be for the sensor to draw air correctly).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
The center stepper sets the distribution, the one on the side does the blend door that controls temp.

I'd make sure the internal temp sensor is working correctly, fan is spinning for it and that the cigarette light hole is properly plugged (according to the manual it needs to be for the sensor to draw air correctly).

The cig lighter hole is properly plugged - how do i check if the temp sensor is working ok? i can see it's spinning properly...

Old 4 Weeks Ago

I managed to fix my ACC display and i get an 02 code - internal temp sensor error.

This thing is very expensive and hard to find - any way i can check what's wrong with it ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: Hirsch fleet: 2*9-5 + 9-3

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/481...ensor-4364295/

You can check resistance:
0C is 32,5 kohms
10C is 19,8 kohms
20C is 12,5 kohms
25C is 10,0 kohms
30C is 8,0 kohms
40C is 5,3 kohms

Usually little blower stalls.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

thanks for the reply, the blower itself is working properly, but i think it's missing a piece : there should be a thermistor right at the top of the temp sensor, and seems mine does not have it. and the small pcb (just one connection and 2 wires) is broken in 2 - don't know if it should be like this, it's split perfectly straight down the middle...

can anyone help me with some images of the inside of a temp sensor?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

You are missing the thermistor, I'd bet a large chunk of money that at some point the little fan was making noise and someone jammed something in the hole in the front to stop the noise and broke it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

i can bet my money on that as well - does anyone know what type of thermistor it is?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: '97 9000 Aero. '04 9-5 Aero estate

Cabin temp sensor - same as the 9000 and GM 900 ones but with a different grille. Used ones quite common I would think (at least they are in UK) because apart from being broken as described, they just clog up with dust/fluff and are easily cleaned.

Apply 12 v at the + and - terminals to check it spins quietly, and check the ohms as listed above, across the other two. I always salvage them when I find them at the scrap yard, and Iíve never had one not work fine after cleaning.

I sell them on eBay for £25 ($34?) as the cost of new ones recently dropped over here.

Doug
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Cabin temp sensor - same as the 9000 and GM 900 ones but with a different grille. Used ones quite common I would think (at least they are in UK) because apart from being broken as described, they just clog up with dust/fluff and are easily cleaned.

Apply 12 v at the + and - terminals to check it spins quietly, and check the ohms as listed above, across the other two. I always salvage them when I find them at the scrap yard, and Iíve never had one not work fine after cleaning.

I sell them on eBay for £25 ($34?) as the cost of new ones recently dropped over here.

Doug

i'll probably end up buying one from you if i can't source a used one locally. will pm you in a few days about...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: '97 9000 Aero. '04 9-5 Aero estate

Sure. I just found that I don't have one listed at the moment so will sort that.

Doug
Old 4 Weeks Ago

would rather buy directly from you than go though ebay - i know they have a 10% fee or something like that (i can pay via paypal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement