Steering fluid in aut gearbox - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids

Notices

Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids Discussions about engine oils and all automotive fluids

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st January 2019

Join Date: Jan 2019                                                
Default Steering fluid in aut gearbox

So I did a stupid mistake today.

I changed the oil in the automatic gearbox about two months ago according to the service schedule (with the correct oil). About a month later it started to shift rough into 3rd great. I checked the oil level two days ago and it was at 1/4 between min and max. Today I decided to add a little bit of oil (1dl) to get it to half and see if it made any difference.

I grabbed the can off the shelf, read transmission oil and started pouring. Only now did I notice that it was green and below transmission oil it said steering servo. The cans look the same with only the label being different. I forgot that I had steering servo oil...

So now I have one deciliter or slightly more of steering fluid in the transmission. The car has not been started or moved. Lesson learned, never top up fluids on new year's day...

But what now? How do I fix this problem? I have a few ideas.

Have it taken to an automatic gearbox shop on a recovery truck and have it flushed (expensive).

Try to suck the oil out through the filler tube, then charge the remaining oil, drive for a day and do a complete oil change again.

Drain the oil, remove the pan, clean it out, fill with new oil, drive for a while then change oil again.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

The car is a 2005 9-5 with 170000 km. It was recently aquired and will have to run for another 100000 km. This has to be done right. Money is an issue here.

I feel like an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st January 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid are generally similar.

But, even some power steering fluids do not mix well with other PS fluids.

If you can leave this until businesses are open, I think the best approach would be to contact the maker of the PS fluid you used (Pentosin?) and get their opinion.

In my opinion, 100mL (1dL) of PS fluid in whatever litres of transmission fluid would not make any difference, except if the fluids are incompatible. The best source of information would be the PS fluid manufacturer; we would be just guessing.

The one thing to avoid is starting, and definitely not driving, the car, until you know.

If the car has been started and run already, then if the PS fluid is incompatible, you would have to drain the entire system. If it has not been run, simply sucking what you can from the filler tube should remove pretty much all the PS fluid that you added.
Old 1st January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
Power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid are generally similar.

But, even some power steering fluids do not mix well with other PS fluids.

If you can leave this until businesses are open, I think the best approach would be to contact the maker of the PS fluid you used (Pentosin?) and get their opinion.

In my opinion, 100mL (1dL) of PS fluid in whatever litres of transmission fluid would not make any difference, except if the fluids are incompatible. The best source of information would be the PS fluid manufacturer; we would be just guessing.

The one thing to avoid is starting, and definitely not driving, the car, until you know.

If the car has been started and run already, then if the PS fluid is incompatible, you would have to drain the entire system. If it has not been run, simply sucking what you can from the filler tube should remove pretty much all the PS fluid that you added.
I have not started the car and won't until I know for sure what to do.

The fluids user are GM branded fluids bought at the Saab dealership (or what used to be the Saab dealership. They still sell Saab parts). The label says 19 40 715.

What you wrote sounds good. I need to find out if they are incompatible. I'm thinking I'm going to suck up as much as possible, drain the rest from the plug and then flush some ATF fluid through the filler pipe to rinse it out. Fill up and drive, then do a change shortly after.

Thank you!

More ideas are welcome

Old 2nd January 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: Hirsch fleet: 2*9-5 + 9-3

Saab (GM) power steering fluid (P/N 93160548, Pentosin CHF-202) and automatic transmission oil (P/N 93160393, Mobil 3309) are almost same, according product sheets.
You also added small amount (0.1l/7,0l).
So I am not extremely worried about what happened, but if you are unsure, drain oil and change them.

BTW: How you checked gear box oil level?
Old 2nd January 2019

Good!

So I guess the biggest differences is the color and the horrific smell of the power steering fluid.

I checked the level by driving for a while, then I stopped on a level surface, put the car in drive for 15 seconds, then to reverse for 15 seconds, then back to park. Hooked up the Tech II, waited for the transmission fluid to reach 80°C and with the car still running in park, I removed the O-ring, wiped off the scale, and put it back in for a couple of seconds before pulling it out again checking the level.

This is as far as I know the correct procedure.
Old 2nd January 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: Hirsch fleet: 2*9-5 + 9-3

Yup, right procedure.
Almost every one check oil level before starting car.
Old 2nd January 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2008 SAAB 93 2.0T Vector

Red : ATF fluid
Green: Hydraulic fluid
Different properties, there is a good chance they will foam if mixed and cause erratic shifting, although the quantity is not that big, but here is what i would do (since the fluid did not mix through the transmission, it is only sitting in the pan) i would drain the oil pan and replace it with the correct ATF, i would even take it one stop further and remove the oil pan and clean (dont know ur proficiency level to do it).
To cut cost, forget about the Mobile3309 and use Toyota ATF T-IV (same fluid but much cheaper)
Old 2nd January 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2008 SAAB 93 2.0T Vector

Here is the cross reference sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	259E8A67-EA30-455E-A7AE-A686CAD69279_1546436507031.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	250046