Oil Filters - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids

Notices

Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids Discussions about engine oils and all automotive fluids

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th February 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3 Aero SS, 08 9-3 Aero SC, 11 Vert

Not sure why a manufacturer would make a good filter only in their top end filter and the rest would be lower quality. You are either a quality brand or not. You should not make crap for your lower end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th February 2019

Join Date: Jul 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3t Wagon
Garage

if it means anything to anyone I liked the wix xp filter. it's my nature to use the oem parts, but you know the wix xp filter is respectable and it's parent company mann hummel is reputable. i use mann filters in my mercedes. i have mann air and cabin air in my saab. hengst is great. necht is good too. i have necht for my fuel filter on my diesel mb. as for oil valvoline for the domestics and liqui moly for the imports. i only use synthetic. i stopped using conventional some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th March 2019

Join Date: Jul 2018                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega
Default Bosch Premium

I've used them all my life and have been very happy with them.

Old 25th March 2019

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sdl View Post
i only use synthetic. i stopped using conventional some time ago.
Yeah, me too. In 1978.
Old 25th March 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

lol. 1980 here...
Old 25th March 2019

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Manual

Quote:
if it means anything to anyone I liked the wix xp filter. it's my nature to use the oem parts, but you know the wix xp filter is respectable...
I use Wix also. It's the only filter brand I can find in local auto parts stores that I trust (no ACDelco or Bosch cartridges). Found it recommended in many previous posts in various forums for saabs.
Old 25th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

I use Wix XP as well in all 12 cars. Well, except the XJR because Wix inexplicably doesn't make an XP version of their filter for it.
Old 26th March 2019

Quote:
if it means anything to anyone I liked the wix xp filter. it's my nature to use the oem parts, but you know the wix xp filter is respectable and it's parent company mann hummel is reputable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanabra View Post
I use Wix XP as well in all 12 cars. Well, except the XJR because Wix inexplicably doesn't make an XP version of their filter for it.
So, I just did some digging around. Apparently, the XP filter line made by Wix is designed for longer OCI (Oil Change Intervals) and does not filter quite as well as the base Wix filter. Not that it doesn't filter good enough, just that to make it last longer between oil changes it can't filter as well or it would get plugged up. If you're changing your oil at regular intervals, the standard Wix filters better. The XP doesn't mean better performance or better quality, necessarily. Just that it lasts longer.

This is what I found, and makes sense, however I want to add the disclaimer that a lot of this stuff is debated, and Wix isn't known for sharing specs about their filters.

Last edited by SilentJ20; 26th March 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 27th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

Mmmm… I think you're referring to the 35 micron vs 23 micron statistic, true? For all intensive porpoises, that is not a substantive difference. The capacity is almost double on the XP filters. Also not substantive unless you have crazy long OCIs (or, I guess, a really wrecked motor!).

The advantage for me with the XP line is the synthetic media and silicone anti-drainback valves. I have a dozen cars and only drive about 10,000 miles annually (excluding the motorhome), so sometimes I have cars that do very little between annual oil changes. I take solace in the security of synthetic bits that won't fall apart if, you know, maybe a car ends up going 18 months between oil changes. Also, with a fine selection of boosted cars that tend to be driven hard, higher temperature tolerance (from synthetic materials) is probably a worthwhile benefit.

In the case of the Aero (and, I wish, my Jag) the wire-backed media is a nice addition since I don't have to worry about the filter element collapsing, which I've seen on cheaper filters.

I order the XPs from rockauto where they are usually between $4 and $7... cheap enough that it doesn't factor into the buying decision at all.

Edit: Crap, I lied. I don't use an XP in the '67 Fleetwood either, because it's not available. Nor in the Falcon - it is available, but who needs a fancy filter on a 60 year old 100hp inline six? Nobody.

Edit 2: Not that anyone cares, but happily my lawn mower and the generator on my motorhome both use the same filter as the Saabs. So when I buy "oil change specials" at Autozone and get a "free" filter, I get a Saab-sized filter and put that crap on a small motor. So good. So savvy.

Last edited by jvanabra; 27th March 2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanabra View Post
Mmmm… I think you're referring to the 35 micron vs 23 micron statistic, true? For all intensive porpoises, that is not a substantive difference. The capacity is almost double on the XP filters. Also not substantive unless you have crazy long OCIs (or, I guess, a really wrecked motor!).

In the case of the Aero (and, I wish, my Jag) the wire-backed media is a nice addition since I don't have to worry about the filter element collapsing, which I've seen on cheaper filters.
My filter is the 57082 cartridge style, and only the non-XP has a micron rating of 18. The XP doesn't have a rating, so I've been unable to compare. Is the XP in your filter the 35 micron? Not sure what difference that makes vs the 18 of my particular filter. Hard to find info on filter tests, unlike the abundance of oil comparisons.

I've personally never had an issue with any filter collapsing, but I've heard of it happening to others.

If the price isn't very different, then peace of mind is a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement