Virginia SAAB Driving Club - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > Saab Events

Notices

Saab Events An up-to-date listing of Saab Clubs Events taking place Worldwide

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default Virginia SAAB Driving Club

Is there any interest in the Virginia area, in starting up a SAAB Drive Club and having driving tours and track days with a monthly frequency?

We currently take a couple of our SAABs out to Richmond International Raceway and Virginia International Raceway several times a year. Due to a lack of SAAB events, I have been hanging out with some of the local Porsche and BMW Clubs, they both have 2 - 4 great tours and track day events monthly.

I will be going out to the brand new Dominion Raceway track this weekend for a private tour, lunch and run a few laps on the track, with the local Porsche Club.

It would be great if we could get enough SAAB interest to start holding our own tours and track days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 15th April 2016
DevPts's Avatar
DevPts DevPts is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
Location: Virginia [Beach]
My Saabs: 02 9 'vert 99 9⁵ sdn 04 9⁵
Posts: 901
Garage
Default

I'm in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 15th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevPts View Post
I'm in...
Good Deal DevsPts!! I met you a couple of years ago at Christos' Annual European Car Show. I am actually heading down to his shop this morning for a road tune from MikeD.

I will put something together for RIR and VIR after [email protected] Dominion Raceway is going to be a very nice venue, once it is completed. I will talk with the GM during the tour this weekend, to get something scheduled there as well.

Send me a PM, with your contact information and I'll start putting together some events and dates. Also, if you have any suggestions for possible drive tours let me know ---- I have always wanted to run the "Tail of the Dragon"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 16th April 2016
DevPts's Avatar
DevPts DevPts is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
Location: Virginia [Beach]
My Saabs: 02 9 'vert 99 9⁵ sdn 04 9⁵
Posts: 901
Garage
Default

Wait, what? Mike in Williamsburg? No fair. How long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 16th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Yeah, he slipped in, but only for one day. He will be up, not too far from Harvey's today.

Got the PM, thanks! I'll keep you posted on things like this via email. He will be back down over the summer to do a few conversions for a few of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 19th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

I had a really fun filled car weekend. MikeD did a road tune for me Friday and the Porsche Club let me cruise with them all day Saturday. I must say, I wish we had a SAAB Club similar to this Porsche Club, here locally. I cannot say enough kind things about this wonderful group.

On Saturday, we met in Hanover, Va early in the morning. We hung out for about 30 minutes talking about cars. Everyone in the Porsche Club was welcoming to me and my SAAB. We then took the long and scenic route up 301 across the Pamunkey River and through Bowling Green, past Fort AP Hill and through historic Guinea Station on the way to the brand new Dominion Raceway for a private tour and lunch.

The grand opening for the track was scheduled for 2:00 PM. However, when we arrived, the road into the track was already completely blocked with race cars, trucks and trailers.

The tour was very good. The track owners gave all of us free VIP Suite tickets for the grand opening and inaugural races that took place Saturday night. While Dominion Raceway is not nearly as nice nor equipped with the same level of amenities as VIR, when it is complete it will be very nice.

The Porsche Club invited me back this Saturday(24th), for another meetup, tour, lunch and trip to a detailing shop. Next Saturday(7th), is another meetup, tour, lunch and workshop.

Where are all of the Virginia SAAB faithful? We can be doing the same thing on weekends. I have the connections to get us in at all of the larger Virginia racetracks and we can be going out on driving tours. I can also get plenty of SAAB Sponsors to help us out with discount vouchers, SAAB merchandise, SAAB swag bags....but we need some interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00004086.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	179410  

Last edited by YellowBird; 20th July 2016 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 24th April 2016
SAAB-5's Avatar
SAAB-5 SAAB-5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
Location: Richmond-Virginia
My Saabs: 84,90, 91, 92, 92 900's,95 v6,96ng, 9-3
Posts: 158
Default I'm in

I would be very interested in being apart of something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 24th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Sounds great SAAB-5. Send me a PM with your contact information. We will be putting together a SAAB Convoy to Carlisle -- starting in Richmond next month, another one to SOC in August and I am hoping to put together our first SAAB tour in June.

I am going out again today with the local Porsche Club for a workshop, lunch and driving tour-- these guys have been absolutely great -- allowing a SAAB to hang out with them.

The thing that I love about this club is: they don't just meet in a parking lot to show off their cars, they actually put together driving tours or track run almost every weekend!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00004095.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	179986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00004096.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	179994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00004098.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	180002  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 25th April 2016
imola_red's Avatar
imola_red imola_red is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
Location: DC
My Saabs: '95 900SET 'vert, '02 9-5 Aero (x2)
Posts: 688
Garage
Default

Sadly I don't have many free weekends but would love to make it out to an event or two if you are able to get enough people together to organize something this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 27th April 2016
SovangW's Avatar
SovangW SovangW is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Quantico, VA
My Saabs: 03' 9 BCB Stage 2
Posts: 1,006
Garage
Default

I would like to participate every now and then if it isn't too far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 27th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

@Imola Red and SovangW, sounds great!! We are looking to put a track run, drive tour and lunch event together for June 5th. We are looking to meet near Richmond International Raceway(RIR), convoy over to run some laps on the NASCAR 3/4 mile oval track, take some videos and then head out for lunch and a scenic back road drive tour.

Interest is growing from Northern Virginia down through the Tidewater area, so we will try to follow up with a private tour at the brand new and recently opened Dominion Raceway, which is just below Fredericksburg and then get something setup down around Tidewater. We will get a private tour and some track time setup for Virginia International Raceway(VIR) in the fall. We will also get MikeD back down for a tuning session at one of the Independent SAAB Shops in the near future.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 27th April 2016
SovangW's Avatar
SovangW SovangW is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Quantico, VA
My Saabs: 03' 9 BCB Stage 2
Posts: 1,006
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
@Imola Red and SovangW, sounds great!! We are looking to put a track run, drive tour and lunch event together for June 5th. We are looking to meet near Richmond International Raceway(RIR), convoy over to run some laps on the NASCAR 3/4 mile oval track, take some videos and then head out for lunch and a scenic back road drive tour.

Interest is growing from Northern Virginia down through the Tidewater area, so we will try to follow up with a private tour at the brand new and recently opened Dominion Raceway, which is just below Fredericksburg and then get something setup down around Tidewater. We will get a private tour and some track time setup for Virginia International Raceway(VIR) in the fall. We will also get MikeD back down for a tuning session at one of the Independent SAAB Shops in the near future.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and interest.
Ah, unfortunately I work Sunday's. What are the costs of using these tracks? In about 1k miles I was planning to get a tune from MikeD, would be awesome to attend that one. 1k miles because I need to break in the new clutch and flywheel setup. I take the Saab to the shop for that today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 27th April 2016
imola_red's Avatar
imola_red imola_red is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
Location: DC
My Saabs: '95 900SET 'vert, '02 9-5 Aero (x2)
Posts: 688
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
@Imola Red and SovangW, sounds great!! We are looking to put a track run, drive tour and lunch event together for June 5th. We are looking to meet near Richmond International Raceway(RIR), convoy over to run some laps on the NASCAR 3/4 mile oval track, take some videos and then head out for lunch and a scenic back road drive tour.

Interest is growing from Northern Virginia down through the Tidewater area, so we will try to follow up with a private tour at the brand new and recently opened Dominion Raceway, which is just below Fredericksburg and then get something setup down around Tidewater. We will get a private tour and some track time setup for Virginia International Raceway(VIR) in the fall. We will also get MikeD back down for a tuning session at one of the Independent SAAB Shops in the near future.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and interest.
Very cool! Being 100+ miles north of RIR might make things interesting, but with enough planning might be able to pull it off and Dominion Raceway looks great. Do you plan on keeping this thread updated or to create an e-mail list or something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 27th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovangW View Post
Ah, unfortunately I work Sunday's. What are the costs of using these tracks? In about 1k miles I was planning to get a tune from MikeD, would be awesome to attend that one. 1k miles because I need to break in the new clutch and flywheel setup. I take the Saab to the shop for that today.
We will definitely put some Saturday events together. I am trying to work in our SAAB Drive Events around open track days. The group will get in for free at all of the open track days, with a cost of $20 - $25 for those that want to get out on the track with their personal car for a 5 lap session.

They are really great at RIR. They have always kept the track open for us, as long as we wanted to run laps. It is $20 for 5 laps and if you have never been on the track, it will only take one session for you to be hooked!!!

MikeD is phenomenal, I still don't understand how he got Ehren's Talladega to flat out fly!! We can get him down to Virginia with about 3 - 4 weeks notice. We already have 3 cars waiting for a post [email protected] tuning session, so just let me know what works for you.

Good luck with the new setup!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 27th April 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola_red View Post
Very cool! Being 100+ miles north of RIR might make things interesting, but with enough planning might be able to pull it off and Dominion Raceway looks great. Do you plan on keeping this thread updated or to create an e-mail list or something like that?
Hopefully, you can get down to RIR on 06/05/16. We ALWAYS have a ton of fun out there!!!

We will setup another free VIP tour and lunch(DR will cater the lunch, each attendee pays for their own meal) at Dominion Raceway on a race night, if we can get some interest built up. The two owners are extremely nice and they are working very hard to build a great racing venue. We are still waiting on the road track to officially open up, however, you can see the full 2 mile, 12 turn course from the rooftop catwalk.

The goal is to keep this thread updated. We have also started an email contact list, to keep everyone informed. Feel free to send me a PM, with your contact information and thank you guys for all of the interest thus far. Things are looking very promising!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 1st May 2016
SovangW's Avatar
SovangW SovangW is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Quantico, VA
My Saabs: 03' 9 BCB Stage 2
Posts: 1,006
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
We will definitely put some Saturday events together. I am trying to work in our SAAB Drive Events around open track days. The group will get in for free at all of the open track days, with a cost of $20 - $25 for those that want to get out on the track with their personal car for a 5 lap session.

They are really great at RIR. They have always kept the track open for us, as long as we wanted to run laps. It is $20 for 5 laps and if you have never been on the track, it will only take one session for you to be hooked!!!

MikeD is phenomenal, I still don't understand how he got Ehren's Talladega to flat out fly!! We can get him down to Virginia with about 3 - 4 weeks notice. We already have 3 cars waiting for a post [email protected] tuning session, so just let me know what works for you.

Good luck with the new setup!!
Can we start a Facebook to stay better informed? Communication is essential!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 1st May 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovangW View Post
Can we start a Facebook to stay better informed? Communication is essential!
I absolutely agree with you on the communication front. If one of you would like to step up and start a FB group I think that would be great or simply stay connected through FB. I am not a fan of FB, so I will use email and this thread to keep information posted.

A small group of us went up to the eEuroparts Car Show and Swap Meet today. I will get some pictures posted later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 1st May 2016
SovangW's Avatar
SovangW SovangW is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Quantico, VA
My Saabs: 03' 9 BCB Stage 2
Posts: 1,006
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
I absolutely agree with you on the communication front. If one of you would like to step up and start a FB group I think that would be great or simply stay connected through FB. I am not a fan of FB, so I will use email and this thread to keep information posted.

A small group of us went up to the eEuroparts Car Show and Swap Meet today. I will get some pictures posted later.
Some pics would be sweet. Should we call it Saab's of the DMV? or Saabs of Virginia? any suggestions?

I feel Saabs of Virginia would be easier to think of when searching this general area. And anyone close by could also join. What do you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 1st May 2016
YellowBird's Avatar
YellowBird YellowBird is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
Location: Henrico, Va
My Saabs: '86 SPG, '88 SPG(2), '88 SiS(2), '91 SPG
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovangW View Post
Some pics would be sweet. Should we call it Saab's of the DMV? or Saabs of Virginia? any suggestions?

I feel Saabs of Virginia would be easier to think of when searching this general area. And anyone close by could also join. What do you think
I like "SAAB Drive Club of Virginia" -- but I am totally open to suggestions. This group will be focused on getting together to exercise and "drive" our SAABs on tours, on the track, to events in Convoys....

We already have 8 SAABs signed up for our Convoy to [email protected] and hopefully the Maryland group will have good numbers too, when we meet up in Frederick, MD to band together for the last leg to the showfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 1st May 2016
SovangW's Avatar
SovangW SovangW is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
Location: Quantico, VA
My Saabs: 03' 9 BCB Stage 2
Posts: 1,006
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
I like "SAAB Drive Club of Virginia" -- but I am totally open to suggestions. This group will be focused on getting together to exercise and "drive" our SAABs on tours, on the track, to events in Convoys....

We already have 8 SAABs signed up for our Convoy to [email protected] and hopefully the Maryland group will have good numbers too, when we meet up in Frederick, MD to band together for the last leg to the showfield.
Which day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saab Club of Canada Enhanced Driving Schools - 2011 SaabScott Saab Events 3 8th August 2011 08:54 AM
Saab Club of Canada Driving Schools 2010 SaabScott The Lounge 6 7th September 2010 11:28 AM
Saab Club Enhanced Driving School Oct 2 SaabScott The Lounge 1 14th September 2009 09:25 PM
Saab Club of Canada Driving School makes the news! SaabScott The Lounge 1 28th July 2009 10:03 PM
Saab Club Enhanced Driving School May 8 SaabScott The Lounge 0 24th February 2009 12:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.