Who Tuned Your 2.8T V6 ? (POLL) - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 2.8T V6 ONLY

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 2.8T V6 ONLY Covers Tuning & all Performance modifications specific to 2.8T V6 ONLY

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Who Tuned Your 2.8T V6 ?
BSR 10 6.21%
JZW (John Z Williams) 63 39.13%
BCB (Brew City Boost) 7 4.35%
Nordic Tuning 1 0.62%
VTunerSaabs 62 38.51%
Maptun 9 5.59%
MPS 1 0.62%
Hirsch 7 4.35%
Mike D Tuning 1 0.62%
Other 1 4 2.48%
Other 2 0 0%
Other 3 0 0%
Other 4 0 0%
Other 5 1 0.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st October 2015

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 02 Viggen - 08 XWD Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
JZW here - Happy with the tune, not happy with the slipping clutch and, most likely the need to (again) change coils and plugs, but I already have a set of those on a box waiting to go in
After the clutch upgrade, most likely will be a Turbo upgrade, followed by a IC upgrade.
Not sure if I want to do injectors, but might be that the bigger Turbo will force that one.
When the time comes for the exhaust change, a stainless steel one is going in also.
Was split here about selling the car or investing on it... I got to the conclusion I love this car and no modern car out there has this type of power delivery with this level of comfort and luxury so... Will drive it to the ground
i searched for an alternative to my viggen, best i could find was a turbo x or xwd aero. without spending 45k or more, which is ridiculous considering how much saab you can get.

but to stay on topic, i went with jzw on my viggen for stage 3 and 5 and again on my 2.8 aero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th December 2015

Join Date: Oct 2012                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 Turbo X Manual Sedan
Garage

seems like VTuner is taking the lead. I have VTuner stage 0, it's much better than stock alone; better fuel economy and great boost at lower RPM
Old 22nd January 2016

Join Date: Dec 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

JZW Stage 1 is a huge difference over stock, the car is a rocket and John is great with customer support of any questions I have had.

Old 13th April 2016

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

I have a Maptun @ 290hp. Now after reading the good things about JZW and Vtuner I am thinking of giving one of their stage 0 a try.
Old 26th April 2016
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 V6 manual

What sort of any improvement would I expect on a Maptun stage 1, also, was there a significant difference MPG wise? I guess what I am really asking, is it worth the money.
Old 14th May 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Maptun Stage 3 93ss V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinners View Post
What sort of any improvement would I expect on a Maptun stage 1, also, was there a significant difference MPG wise? I guess what I am really asking, is it worth the money.
Yes it is worth the money- no difference mpg wise
Old 30th June 2016

Join Date: Jun 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero SC

I am running a V Tuner Stage 0 on my 08 SC. Wow, what a difference over stock! Second gear is simply a tire-shredding monster. Also, I am not sure everyone knows this, but Brian ships the tuner with a 93 and a 91 octane tune. I have been running the 91 octane tune cause I am having fuel pump issues, which were only found because I have the tuner. Its great to have options!
Old 10th July 2016

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero XWD '09 BCB Stg2
Garage

My '09 2.8T XWD has been tuned with the stage 1 from Brew City Boost for almost 10 months. Claimed 310HP and 350ftlbs of torque. Really happy with it, makes the car more joyful.

But today I upgraded with Kelly's stage 2 (BCB). JESUS CHRIST it's fast. I found there's a huge difference in secong gear acceleration. Claimed 330HP and 360ftlbs of torque. Do not hesitate to tune your V6 with him, he's so great to have business with and God does he know what he's doing.

BTW, he claims that the stage 2 needs a upgrade to the intake. Even without, I feel the difference. But do you guys think a simple K&N drop-in filter in the stock air box would be good or should I go with a open cone filter with a heatshield?
Old 12th July 2016

Join Date: May 2016                                                
My Saabs: 09 93 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barabus_le_grand View Post
My '09 2.8T XWD has been tuned with the stage 1 from Brew City Boost for almost 10 months. Claimed 310HP and 350ftlbs of torque. Really happy with it, makes the car more joyful.

But today I upgraded with Kelly's stage 2 (BCB). JESUS CHRIST it's fast. I found there's a huge difference in secong gear acceleration. Claimed 330HP and 360ftlbs of torque. Do not hesitate to tune your V6 with him, he's so great to have business with and God does he know what he's doing.

BTW, he claims that the stage 2 needs a upgrade to the intake. Even without, I feel the difference. But do you guys think a simple K&N drop-in filter in the stock air box would be good or should I go with a open cone filter with a heatshield?
Hey barabus, I have the same car - 09 2.8T Aero XWD auto/not stick. just got it 3 weeks ago (love Saab. Had 01 93SE moded before). I put in A-Z Performance strut tower brace and it makes a noticeable difference in handling. I was planning on upgrading the ECU and was leaning towards the BCB. Who is this Kelly? would love to find out more about it. BTW I do have the K&N drop-in filter. The sound and the gas mileage are a little better.
Old 12th July 2016

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AeroNJ View Post
Hey barabus, I have the same car - 09 2.8T Aero XWD auto/not stick. just got it 3 weeks ago (love Saab. Had 01 93SE moded before). I put in A-Z Performance strut tower brace and it makes a noticeable difference in handling. I was planning on upgrading the ECU and was leaning towards the BCB. Who is this Kelly? would love to find out more about it. BTW I do have the K&N drop-in filter. The sound and the gas mileage are a little better.
Congrats on your purchase, it's a pretty awesome drivers car.
DO NOT hesitate to tune your ECU. I had a 9-5 and now have this 9-3 and both have been tuned with BCB. It was, each time, the best modification I have done.
Kelly is the guy from BCB who I spoke with for the stage 2. Super friendly pal. Since I upgraded from stage 1 to 2, I can only recommend you to go directly to the second one, it's just much better.
I ordered the K&N drop-in filter. Pretty pricey for a mere filter, but you're not the first to recommend it so I guess it's good.
Old 12th July 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

JZW Stage 5 here

https://youtu.be/5K_XumdrkYQ

Needs a new fuel pump then we're back in business
Old 13th July 2016

Garage

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase, it's a pretty awesome drivers car.
DO NOT hesitate to tune your ECU. I had a 9-5 and now have this 9-3 and both have been tuned with BCB. It was, each time, the best modification I have done.
Kelly is the guy from BCB who I spoke with for the stage 2. Super friendly pal. Since I upgraded from stage 1 to 2, I can only recommend you to go directly to the second one, it's just much better.
I ordered the K&N drop-in filter. Pretty pricey for a mere filter, but you're not the first to recommend it so I guess it's good.
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the BCB tune. There doesn't seem to be too many late model 93 Aeros V6 with XWD. so I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain. I see that you removed the mufflers, any chance you have a sound or video clip of your car? I would like a little more growl but am not sure what approach to take. I don't want a loud exhaust. Would love to have one resembling the Maserati Gibi. you hear the growl when you step on the gas. I had Saab Sport exhaust on my 01 93SE along with the 3" down pipe. It sounded awesome. Also, have you had any issues with the XWD? I get a message - "Service XWD" in the first 5 min of every trip, but the car drives great.
Thanks.
Old 13th July 2016

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin dai View Post
JZW Stage 5 here

https://youtu.be/5K_XumdrkYQ

Needs a new fuel pump then we're back in business
Now that's quick!
Old 13th July 2016

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AeroNJ View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the BCB tune. There doesn't seem to be too many late model 93 Aeros V6 with XWD. so I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain. I see that you removed the mufflers, any chance you have a sound or video clip of your car? I would like a little more growl but am not sure what approach to take. I don't want a loud exhaust. Would love to have one resembling the Maserati Gibi. you hear the growl when you step on the gas. I had Saab Sport exhaust on my 01 93SE along with the 3" down pipe. It sounded awesome. Also, have you had any issues with the XWD? I get a message - "Service XWD" in the first 5 min of every trip, but the car drives great.
Thanks.
Yes I removed the mufflers and I just love it. It is quite loud, but it sounds so freaking good. I receive multiple good comments and it is very cheap compared to a regular sport exhaust. I don't have a sound clip of mine but there are some on YouTube. I plan to make a video this summer.
As for the XWD, I did not have any issues up to now. It is a formidable AWD system. When you have the "Service XWD" message, consensus is that you should at least make a fluid flush of the system. I myself have the message from time to time. I tried to flush the differentiel clutch, but the bolts were seized. I need to look at that as soon as I can.

Last edited by barabus_le_grand; 13th July 2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 13th July 2016

Garage

I took the car to the Saab mechanic, he read the codes. there were 2 - 1 solenoid issue and pressure issue. He added fluid and cleared the codes. But the message came back. he read it again and the solenoid code went away, but the pressure code came back. He said just drive it and don't worry about it. Hope this helps you. As per exhaust mod, I don't want a loud exhaust, just deep rumble when I step on the gas. I saw a YouTube vid of the 93 with resonator and second cat removed. Not as loud as mufflers delete but still has this growl when stepping on the gas. I'm thinking of doing the same. here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz1ywG3P2k
BTW, is your Aero stick or auto?

Last edited by 09AeroNJ; 14th July 2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 13th July 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 5 9³ v6 Aero

Quote:
Now that's quick!
Thanks

That's the stage 5 with 3.5 bar map sensor, had a few running issues which could be the fuel pump so it's got a tamer map on there now that John's made richer lower down. Thats helped, feels a fair bit quicker low down and the throttle cut issue I had is better but it's lost a bit of sparkle up top (can't have it both ways) I'll stick the other map & sensor back on when the pumps swapped.

Re the exhaust, here's mine with a fully decatted 3" system, 3" resonator and muffler delete. I couldn't live with this every day though if I was still commuting to work and 4am starts!! Not too loud driving normally but goes beserk when you floor it

https://youtu.be/157eJOCUIR0

https://youtu.be/abtMT-tpxkY

I'm after more of a crackle though like you get on the TX, maybe ditch my resonator and fit the TX rumble box to see if it's any different.

Is this anyones car off here? This is the sound I'm after next year

https://youtu.be/j7OV0TFCvZQ
Old 3rd November 2016

Join Date: Apr 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab Turbo X
Default jzw stage 0

Have this tune on my Turbo X . Picks up nice.. thinking of moving up a notch but not sure if worth the risk.. BTW is there a way to know if the tune is on correctly with the laptop? I asked John but he never answered me.

Last edited by pasjohn; 14th November 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 3rd January 2017
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: Seat Leon ST Cupra 300 4drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasjohn View Post
Have this tune on my Turbo X . Picks up nice.. thinking of moving up a notch but not sure if worth the risk.. BTW is there a way to know if the tune is on correctly with the laptop? I asked John but he never answered me.
Pretty sure you feel the difference after flashing the tune...
Old 10th June 2017

Join Date: Nov 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2007 SAAB 9-3 AERO

I started out with VTuner Stage 0 and my only regret was I didn't do it sooner. What a difference in power! And I did noticed an improvement in gas mileage.

After a year or so I went all in and upgraded to Stage 2, did the Turbo, Injectors, Upgraded Tuning, and immediately shredded my clutch. To be fair it does have over 165K mi on it so may have been getting ready to let go anyways.

It definitely has a ton of power now, probably just about the max you can get out of a front wheel drive car.

The fuel pump issue you refer to is going to plague you forever unless you go with an aftermarket pump. Try the AEROMOTIVE one. I have it in mine and the pump barely has to work to deliver the fuel the computer wants. It'll end your P0089 problem and improve your performance at the same time.
Old 2nd February 2018

Join Date: Sep 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 Aero

I did the VTuner stage 0. What I like most about it is the instant response from Brian on upgrades. I've been rocking it for 20k miles (with his recommended Denso Iridium IKH22, along with new coils). Nary an issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement