How To: Transmission Fluid Change on the Aisin Warner AWTF-80SC (06+ Aero Automatic) - Page 12 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids

Notices

Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids Discussions about engine oils and all automotive fluids

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th November 2018

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero

When I did mine the fill bolt was seized. I tried everything to get it off, but eventually I went to store got a big 24mm nut and quickly tacked that on top. Came off easily with that dab of heat and nut easily crank on. Also, Aisin Warner is a Toyota company. This transmission and variants of it were used all over (Ford, Buick, Toyota, etc.). I used a Titan ATF 4400 fluid which meant the spec of the original Saab fluid (AW-1). It's also made by Fuchs which has made other Saab transmission fluids as well. I never had issues after 60k and multiple changes on the stuff. It was about $12-16 a quart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th December 2018
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 2

I get mine done every spring at George's Imports. It's the one thing I still just don't mess with myself. Hey cool that you are in the area CatsAndBrews! Stay in touch.
Old 1st January 2019
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2k 9-3 Convertible; 07 9-3 9440 V6 Aero

Thanks again for this tutorial and putting up the pdf as the photos are blank now.

I came across this video on youtube, same transmission and its the exact same procedure as the book (similar to yours) except they used the fill hole. It might be worth using some sort of penetration fluid on the fill hole especially if you are going to do multiple fills to try and get all the old fluid out. Big time saver. I was thinking about picking up an oil extractor and getting into it from the top fill hole but looking at the photos of the transmission online, not sure I could that hose deep enough into it to get the extraction hose all the way to the bottom.

Inside the WIS I also found instruction on the process but was most interesting was this diagram, which explains the leaving the small screw off until its started dripping then adding another 500ml of trans fluid.

Whoops forgot link to video (thanks swedepeed7):
AF40-6 / TF-80SC ATF How To Oil change
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saab 2007 WIS - Transmission Drain Plug.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	250040  

Last edited by cloves; 1st January 2019 at 09:04 PM.

Old 1st January 2019

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9 Aero SS, 2011 9-4X Aero
Garage

Link to video? Also, you may want to edit your "My Saabs" to 9440, not 9400
Old 11th March 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero 2.8T

Great video. Very informative. Best one Ive seen yet.
Old 10th May 2019

Join Date: Dec 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8 Laser Red
Default Tranny Oil

going to be doing this with in next couple of weeks and really confused on which oil I should use? Have 06 9-3 Aero with 139,000 and I am sure the transmission oil has never been changed.
Is this okay to use

https://www.wpdusa.com/products/2655...ywords=JWS3324

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AOCATF0WS

Last edited by tpdtopcop; 10th May 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10th May 2019

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9 Aero SS, 2011 9-4X Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpdtopcop View Post
going to be doing this with in next couple of weeks and really confused on which oil I should use? Have 06 9-3 Aero with 139,000 and I am sure the transmission oil has never been changed.
Is this okay to use

[URL=https://www.wpdusa.com/products/26558/123941[/URL]

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AOCATF0WS
you could definitely try using the Aisin Warner WS fluid, but most of us have been using the OEM fluid. Just buy enough to get free shipping here:

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/93165147
Advertisement