Ignition Switch (ISM) Cleaning 12801010 - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th December 2012

Join Date: Nov 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc, 2003 9-5 Linear

Yes, it's exactly as Aerojon states and yes my key also worked to lock/unlock doors so I think you're on the right track here with your problem. Just to be sure, I followed other directions about synching the key and key worked right away for me and the new switch hasn't failed me once. My intermittent probs with 'steering lock failure' are also gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th December 2012

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3

I installed my new ISM and at first it didn't work and I was terrified. Turns out I hadn't attached the cable to the ISM properly. After doing that it still first didn't work but then the key finally turned after 30 seconds or so. I read somewhere that it takes about that time to get it synched. Finally my ISM is working and all error messages are vanished. I'm a happy SAAB driver yet again. :-)

My only concern. With my new ISM, it does not click when I push the key in. On my old ISM it would click when I pushed the key in, which was kind of an acknowledgement. But this new one is silent. Why?

Thanks for all your help and insight. Couldn't have done it without this thread.
Old 6th December 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

The "click" is related to the steering wheel lock. Drive the car around the block for a few minutes and everything will return to normal.

Old 6th December 2012

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_de_ze View Post
The "click" is related to the steering wheel lock. Drive the car around the block for a few minutes and everything will return to normal.
I have driven it for 2 days now. Everything works as normal but still no click.
Old 30th June 2013

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 sport combi
Default Steering Wheel Lock Failure

I had the module replaced about 4 or 5 months ago. I costs about $450 in CT. I had a bad battery one month ago, changed that. This morning had "Steering Wheel Lock Malfunction" could not get the key out and it would not start. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery. Re-attached. SID told me my key was "not usuable" or something like that and to "contact my dealer". I used my other spare key and the car started. I tried the original key later and it worked. The car had been in a warm and humid place when this malfunction occured. I will bring it in for service and hope it does not have to be replaced again.
Old 25th July 2013

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector
Default Great write up, thank you.

So I went ahead and replaced the Switch Module, but I seem to have the same problem. I can still turn the radio on without having the car on or the key in. Is this normal? Reason I ask is becuase something is draining my battery. I was getting the crazy error codes and Im hoping those go away with the new switch.
Old 25th July 2013

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector

thank you for the write up!! I replaced my module today and it worked just fine. Hoping the codes go away. Now here is my other question cause I was hoping that my battery was getting drained cause of this as well. I leave the car parked for a day and the battery dies, I have to jump start the vehicle. Ive noticed that my radio can be turned on even with out the key in the switch. Is this normal??? Any ideas as too what could be causing the radio to work with no key. Cool feature but not cool when you cant start the car in the morning.
Old 25th July 2013

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 sport combi
Default Ignition Issues

So I did two things which have seemed to work so far.

1. I had the computer reset using tech 2 by a registered Saab service center. The tech told me that sometimes when the battery is changed by an outside party and the computer is not reset these things happen.

2. I leave the windows open at night in my garage when the car is parked so it does not get that hot or humid inside

Sounds like your problem is some type of computer gremlin!
Old 25th July 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Ltd. Edition 2008 Lynx Cabrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spshond View Post
So I went ahead and replaced the Switch Module, but I seem to have the same problem. I can still turn the radio on without having the car on or the key in. Is this normal? Reason I ask is becuase something is draining my battery. I was getting the crazy error codes and Im hoping those go away with the new switch.
Yes, completely normal, even my '08 the radio turns on without the key. Try unplugging the Amp for a couple of days, I've heard if it has an internal fault it drains the battery. From what I understand, this was commonplace for '03-'04 models.
Old 25th July 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Vig Vert; 2011 9-5Aero

dumb question, but is your radio stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, someone might have run the hot wire wrong. if stock, do you have any aux adapters, ipod connectors, etc. that were installed?
Old 26th July 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Ltd. Edition 2008 Lynx Cabrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabcarman22 View Post

1. I had the computer reset using tech 2 by a registered Saab service center. The tech told me that sometimes when the battery is changed by an outside party and the computer is not reset these things happen.

2. I leave the windows open at night in my garage when the car is parked so it does not get that hot or humid inside

How would the car get hot and humid inside, if its in your garage with the windows closed. Humidity comes from the outside air, not from inside a closed car. And it wouldn't get hot inside either, it's inside the garage not sitting in the sun. And what computer did you have reset, the car has a lot of em. Do u know what module or modules this Saab Tech reset? He probably cleared some DTC's, to bad he didn't tell you what they were. It's always good practice to go through the trouble codes before just blindly erasing them.
Old 26th July 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8TM, Vtune 0

I've never met a European car in which you couldn't turn on the radio without the key...it's very common. In some cars you can do this only after you shut the key off, up until the point you open a door.

Sean

Saab Aero Academy Alumni
Old 21st August 2013

My Saabs: 2006 saab 9-3 Aero

do you think there is any usefulness in using dielectric grease on the contacts? thanks for your input.
Old 21st August 2013

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero
Default ignition issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabcarman22 View Post

I noticed you had ignition problems, what problems/codes were you getting? I'm currently having some myself, I'm getting P0605 after turning key and not starting and on second try car starts and gives this code w/check engine light.
Old 28th August 2013

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by just trying View Post
do you think there is any usefulness in using dielectric grease on the contacts? thanks for your input.
I did not, only bent the tabs slightly to ensure solid contact. It's been almost two years and I have not had any further errors.

Other than this past weekend when the valet tried to retrieve the wrong Saab with my key. Nearly gave me a heart attack when he said I'm getting a steering column lock malfunction And I was 250+ miles from home

Jim
Old 20th September 2013

My Saabs: 2006 saab 9-3 Aero

worked for me. biggest issue was getting the white cap off. it was a huge pain and took the longest time. also i think all you really need to take off to get to the module is the driver side lower panel. from there you can get to the ignition switch module. taking off the other plastic parts has a high risk for breaking the tabs, especially as our cars get older.
Old 23rd November 2013

Join Date: Nov 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Garage
Default duct issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman21 View Post
Also, I couldn't get mine out past the duct but removing the 2 console side screws let me lift the console high enough to get past the duct.
What screws did you remove to get past the duct? I am having the same issue.

Thanks.
Old 24th July 2014

Join Date: Jul 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0t

Do you still have the photos for this? I can't get them to load.
Old 24th July 2014
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI
Question

I can see them just fine????

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Old 24th July 2014
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Vert, 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbell5 View Post
Do you still have the photos for this? I can't get them to load.
Try a different web browser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement