bov diy... how to do it right. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY Covers Tuning & all Performance modifications specific to 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black
Default bov diy... how to do it right.

so you all know i have a bov, and it took a bit of experimenting but i have it set up in a way that your car does limp or have idle issues and you dont run rich.
so lets start off by me saying im not responsible for anything you may do that breaks your car im only saying what i did.

Now lets explain what i did and how i did it using pictures .

The first thing to do is to get your BOV mounted on a pipe and then you need to have it mounted within the turbo lines i mounted mine by the intake manifold

Next we need to disconnect the stock diverter lines on the image below you need to disconnect the line on the top barb. once disconnected you need to connect your BOV's vacuum line to this solinoid

Now we need to start on the turbo. first thing you need to do is trace the vacuum line imaged below back to the connection on the side of the motor and pull that line off.

once the line has been pulled you next need to remove the turbo signal line from the wastegate solenoid (its the line facing the firewall). Once that has been removed the next step is to T the line with the line that you sourced from the stock diverter line ensuring that the stock diverter is connected to the turbo's boost only signal.

so at this point your saying but chris why am i doing this what is the reasoning behind this... can't i just get a block off plate? and the aswer to this is yes you can use a block off plate, but by running this line to the diverter it means several things.

one your not going to need a block off plate.

two the stock diverter still opens, but not untill a certain psi. because of this your after market BOV will still go off ensuring that sound and proper air dump you have been looking for, and with the stock diverter still opening the air thats going back out the turbo is getting metered meaning. This means that when you let off the gas instead of your car running rich and backfiring it will read that air is being released from the system and adjust to it. This will still cause a light richness but from what i have seen nothing above a .2-.7 from the standard stoich point.

three doing this will keep the stock diverter forced closed when boosting, and it will only open when boost is released that then only the spring force is acting against the diaphragm.

fourth doing this system will also mean that if you want to go back to just your stock diverter all you need to do is disconnect your after market bov and reattaching the lines to your stock diverter.

now i forgot to check for any codes i might be throwing, and i do not have a block off plate to test to see if just running a block off plate will throw a code. next week ill get a block off plate to see if any hiccups or errors occur.

please give input and my videos are still uploading

i rule your internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07' 9-3ss Aero

looks good man, so you ended up running the turbos boost source to the BPV to keep it from opening under low boost huh, def pick up a block off and see how it does...im waiting till next check, ill prob order me a obx dp and a bov...still debating on the sound i want, may get a type s or a type RZ...hmmm...than theirs the forge one aswell.....hmmmm
Old 11th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

well i wanted an ssqv, but you know that market place full of fakes. i stumbled apon the syncronic on auction i won it for 154 shipped with hks flange and standard flange. i like the type s sound alot i came across these guys (http://www.ngrperformance.com/ngrinfo.php) they remake a type s with a different diaphram and all that dosnt leak and such. its 150 and its almost identical to the type s. seems like a good product, i might get a block off plate next paycheck or later this week we will see what happens. Right now im pretty contempt im going to keep looking into this and see what more i can be doing

i rule your internet.

Old 11th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

yeah i was actually going to get the black NGR type s if i was to get a type s...and the a real HKS is easy to spot, will actually say HKS on it, fakes are normally easy to spot...i dont like the HKS, too many locals have it....now the type s is no longer made...so less people have it...now the synapses synchronic you have is suppose to be good...you get that video uploaded yet? wanna see what it sounds like
Old 11th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

well i had a real hks at one point i got it for 80 bucks and i sold it for 135. the synapse sounds great really it kinda sounds like a tial but without the phsss sound at the end. the cellphone vids dont do it justic, but they arnt uploading so im gonna have to get them on my computer. tommarow my harness bar arrives so im gonna set that up in my car and then mount my dslr to that and use that.

i rule your internet.
Old 11th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
well i had a real hks at one point i got it for 80 bucks and i sold it for 135. the synapse sounds great really it kinda sounds like a tial but without the phsss sound at the end. the cellphone vids dont do it justic, but they arnt uploading so im gonna have to get them on my computer. tommarow my harness bar arrives so im gonna set that up in my car and then mount my dslr to that and use that.
nice, i was just looking at the synapses one...seems if you connect it to the OEM BPV line you can let the ECM control its opening and closing...was tested on a hyundai genesis...they have a solenoid for the BPV aswell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj44QfAx_Qw
Old 11th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

yeah ive seen that video, and thats how i did mine. with the trionic system boost control is a very crucial part of the system so if you dont let the ecu control the bypass valve it goes haywire trying to adjust fuel if the bov is hooked up to the manifold

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Volvo C30 R Design, 1992 900T 'Vert
Garage

I haven't been following the mods and tuning at all lately, so don't flame me for this but didn't everyone laugh at people when they asked about bov's? I remember people always dismissing people's posts about bov's. So someone figured it out?
Old 12th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

theres a couple of people... maybe one.... that i could name off the top of my head that would walk into every thread and say no every time, but putting one has always been able to be done you just need to look at the circumstances. for instance you could stick one on and just recirc it back into the intake and you would by definition have a bov.

but i just though of this a couple of mins ago. if you want the most sound out of this little trick, in other words you dont want to also hear the stock diverter as well; put your stock airbox back on. the only diverter you will hear is the aftermarket one so if you want to hear that hks chime put your stock box on.

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

also keep in mind i havent scanned the codes, so i could be throwing a code still. but honestly i wouldn't dismiss this as not being a success just because i was throwing a code. my acceleration and performance seemed to be normal and infact throttle response seems a bit better

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011

My Saabs: 2003 9-3ss JZW Stage 2 TD04 Swapped

Videos?? Anxious to hear that BOV..
Old 12th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 04 Linear JZW STG3, 99 93 BCB Stg 3 gone

Me too . I wonna see how it holds up over time, but other than that it's really a nice concept.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9³ aero SC
Garage

Good for you paco. Now you have another reason to come and visit again
Old 12th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 05 93 2.0T and 04 BMW M3

paco this DIY is EVERYWHERE!!

:shifty: i really wish we had the shifty eyed smiley here.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Good news no codes! Videos tonight ill get something up, but it seems sat kundrum and I are gonna record some good video.

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsi6a5UmI0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYdfa_vgkw

the gaaaaaaaaaaaaaadooooooooshhhhhhh is the syncronic

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 05 93 2.0T and 04 BMW M3

silly paco, the videos are upside down.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

no your just not right side up

i rule your internet.
Old 12th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4x

Haha Sounds good from What I hear def deep and loud.

3" Downpipe and Midpipe:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th January 2011

My Saabs: 2003 9-3ss JZW Stage 2 TD04 Swapped

Great videos! This might be a stupid question but why doesn't this BOV sound as strong as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN4bfgXSrDs . I know its an HKS as opposed to yours and your video is in car, but is the only difference boost pressure?? Yours is nice but I want it loud!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement