Neutral Safety Switch cleaning didn't work- what are my options? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th July 2008

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE
Default Neutral Safety Switch cleaning didn't work- what are my options?

My neutral safety switch cleaning didn't seem to work- I still have the same error code as before I cleaned it. I'll try again tonight, but assuming that fails where is the best place to buy a replacement? A bypass doesn't look possible in my situation as it's not preventing the car from starting but putting it into limp-home mode and looking at the circuits I don't see any possible way of bypassing it. Does anyone else have a spare to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th July 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Remove fuse 36 from the interior fusebox

Run a lead from this to the starter relay terminal 86; this bypasses the alarm and the NSS.
The car should then start ( providing the starter relay and starter are good)...when the key is inserted and turned to the start position 50.
Just a 14 or 16 gage lead with small alligator clips at the ends.
PMI has pics of the relays.
Frank Drebin may have the identical set up..

Use your multi-meter on the NSS after it is cleaned to test the effectiveness of the job..these are expensive,a shockingly high price.
Scour the junk yards....

This damned Haynes has nothing on the automatic transmission wiring.....so ignore most of the above...
We need the WIS..

173K miles in the good ole USA

Last edited by earthworm; 26th July 2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 26th July 2008

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SE V6

Does anyone know for certain if the wis is copywrited to the extent that it is illegal to post a link to it here? ;-)

Back to the topic, what error code are you getting. Is this a flash the cel error code, or getting it read out with a tech2?

I'll have a look in the wis and see what pins on the auto control module (behind the glove box by memory) go to the nss, it would be much easier to stick a multimeter on them there than down at the nss itself.

Andrew

Old 26th July 2008

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SE V6

Ok, looking at the schematics for the auto (the obd-2 version, which I assume you must have) the nss has one wire going to power (through dashboard fuse 9) and 4 wires to the autobox control module. They are labelled A, PA, B, C (not sure what they mean). Basically if you check that there's 12V on each of those wires at some stage of moving through the gears the nss appears to be somewhat working.

A -> module pin 9
PA -> module pin 27
B -> module pin 10
C -> module pin 28

And yeah, the autobox control module is on the bulkhead behind the glove box.

saab_autobox_schem.pdf

Andrew
Old 26th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: .
Default POST the OBD2 Codes

Eggloaf, So i've gone through all your past post and I didn't see in any of them that you posted the codes. Did you have the codes read? If so, post them here, it will better help us to help you.

Your car is OBD2 which means that the only way for you to get the OBD2 codes is with an OBD2 reader or a TECH-2. The "jumper" method isn't going to work for you, so don't even try. You could try using a meter and measuring voltages as stated above BUT I don't think that is going to do you any good if you don't really know what the exact problem is, playing with the NSS may be useless in this situtation especially with lack of experience, you are the one who pulled out the wrong bolt and the transmission seperated from the engine, right?

You have to get the codes out, don't waste your time with touching this, tinkering with that, changing this, oh I think its that.....
Old 26th July 2008

Yeah after my first post I had the code pulled- it was a P0705. After I tried cleaning it I hoped that I had at least fixed that and caused a different problem, but it was still the same code after I replaced it. I've recleaned it, slightly elongated the springs, lubed it up, and tested the wires electrical connections to the pins (they're fine). I'll try it once more, and test it as you suggested Corona.

Earthworm, I appreciate the post but the problem is it's allowing the car to start but putting it into limp home. The CGBL and CEL both come on with P0705 when I turn the power to on, even before starting the car, so a starter circuit bypass is inneffective.

All the help is greatly appreciated. I'll mail you all a jello-mold or something.
Old 27th July 2008

Default Well this is strange...

Guess what... the switch is working! When connected to the electrical system (but not to the transmission) the car will not start unless the NSS is put to the 'park' position, triggers brake lights in 'reverse', and functions exactly as it should... however, whether or not it's connected to the tranny I STILL get the same P0705 code- despite the fact that it is completely functional! Could it be that the detection system is the issue here?

I'm taking a last look at the wiring... if I can't figure it out a friend recommended a private mechanic who knows Saabs well. Since I know the switch is working I'm going to give him a call and see if he can help me out.

When I learn what is really going on I'll see if I can post a solution here in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement