Saab 9000 automatic gearboxes - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

Notices

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th August 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 9000i 2 turboauto 1non-turbo
Default Saab 9000 automatic gearboxes

Hi Guys!! Question from a "newbie". Does anyone know if Saab automatic gearboxes are interchangeable? Looking to replace a duff box on my 1994 2.3 9000i cde ecopower auto. I cannot imagine that Saab would go to all the trouble of designing different autoboxes for all the 9000 range (2.0,2.3 & 3.0 engines)and could it be they use the same in 900,93 and 95 range also. My duff box is a FA43005 and I have sourced a 2nd hand 9000i turbo autobox which is an FM57001 at a reasonable price.Does anyone understand these codes or have any SAAB AB autogearbox technical information on compatibility? I don`t trust the Saab main dealers employees, these young "know it alls" will tell you anything and agree with you because they can`t be bothered to spend time looking it up on the computer if you don`t use their workshop!!!!!!

Ps. I also own a 2.0 9000i ecopower auto with an FA43001 box in it so I am a bit puzzled by the FM prefix??? (also have knowledge of other auto boxes with GA prefixes!!!) Would appreciate any information we all could share.

Royston 9000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: '94 9kcs, 9kcde, '95 9kcse, all turbo

You cannot possibly have a FM designation for an auto transmission. FM is for the 5 speed. FM-57001 is a 5 speed gear box for the LPT, you guys in the UK term it eco power I believe.

the 2.3L turbo engine uses FA-43201. The n/a engine uses FA-43003 in the US and FA-41003 outside of US. The second digit indicates the ratio of the highest gear.
Old 21st August 2007

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 9000i 2 turboauto 1non-turbo
Default Saab 9000 auto gearboxes

Hi yaofeng
Much appreciate the information-thanks. Now that you have pointed it out it`s obvious what FA & FM indicate-------Auto & Manual ------simple!!!!! Why didn`t I think of that,it`s obvious??? I assume the FA43201 used in the 2.3L turbo applies to the U.S. only ,is that correct? My U.K. 2.3L turbo as I said before has the FA43005 installed and I have no reason to doubt that it isn`t the original from the Saab factory or plant as you call it in the States.The question now is do I need an identical FA43005 as a replacement or are their other FA43`s that would do the job??? As you say the 3 indicates the top gear ratio but does anyone know what the other digits stand for or do they just identify that particular gearbox??? The guy with the FM57001 is selling a manual not an auto that`s why it`s reasonably priced!!!

Hope you or anyone else can pick up the thread.

Regards royston 9000

Old 23rd August 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

I`d love to know as well - maybe a contact with ZF would be a good idea?
Old 23rd August 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: '94 9kcs, 9kcde, '95 9kcse, all turbo

My info is based on the tech data shop manual which I happen to have a copy. FA-43005 isn't even listed in it. Again, from the manual

F: front wheel drive
M: 5 speed, A: auto
N1: first digit, number of forward gears
N2: total ratio highest gear
N3: 0, applies to B204i, B234i, B204S (5 speed and auto), and B234E, B204L (5 speed only). 1, applies to B204L and B234 R 5 speed. 2, applies to B234E, B204L, B234L auto.

The last two digits are development variant which I have no idea what they are.
Old 9th June 2019

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1993 9000 CDE 2.3 turbo

Hello YAOFENG. I have just become a member and cannot contact you directly as I don't have enough posts!
I would appreciate your help and knowledge to guide me through the types of auto transmissions and what is compatible.
I have a 1993 9000 CDE 2.3 turbo auto VIN:YS3CD48M0P1028894. I have a ZF 4HP-18 GA74309 autotransmission and would like to know which other ZF transmissions would be compatible with mine as I wish to find a spare for future-proofing in case of scarcity. I love my car!
Please could you advise what the various digits and numbers mean in my GA74309 designation? Your explanation to ROYSTON 9000 leaves me asking questions so that I am still not fully understanding what it all means - what is the G, what is the 7? I can see that A=auto and 4=four forward gears but that's it.
What other transmissions under the GA designation would be exchangeable with mine in terms of mechanical fit, gear ratio equivalent and power compatibility? Any other areas that need to be considered?
Many thanks. Dave Smith.
Old 9th June 2019

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1993 9000 CDE 2.3 turbo

If anyone else has advice or knowledge I would like to hear. Thanks.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Apr 2018                                                
My Saabs: 9000 CSE 2,3 Turbo aut. MY94

Hi

I don't know of the F-classification -all my info states the GM (for manual) or GA (for automatic). Maybe it's a matter of (early) model year?

Anyway, the GA-boxes are interchangeable between all 2,0 and 2,3 non-turbo models. Likewise, a version with a sligtly higher gearing is interchangeable between all 2,0 and 2,3 turbo models (regardless of power or turbo pressure).

3,0-boxes will NOT fit the four cylinder engines.

SAAB has never built their own auto-boxes. They used Borg-Warner for OG 900, ZF-boxes for 9000 and NG900, and Aisin for 9-3 and 9-5.

The ZF-boxes are excellent and long-living, provided you change oil and filter as prescribed (using the proper mineral Dex II or III-ATF).

Bw/NC
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Apr 2018                                                
My Saabs: 9000 CSE 2,3 Turbo aut. MY94

Hi again

I must correct myself: The FA-notation exists in the real world (including in my own MY94 CSE -but that is an exchange unit (FA 43209), which should fit in MY97 2,3T 170 and 2,3 turbo 200). But it fits perfectly in my MY94 turbo 200 as well.

According to my EPC, your FA43005 would be used for 2,0 LPT engines, but I can't find any real difference between the different "FA-numbers", as long as we are talking about four cylinder turbo engines.

By the way: What is wrong with your duff box? There are a number of repair guides (including DIY) in this forum regarding various faults on the ZF4HP18.

Bw/NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement