Roof Racks - pre and post 2003? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

Notices

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd May 2019
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9³ 'vert; '01 9³ 5d & parts car;
Default Roof Racks - pre and post 2003?

Did the spacing of the pins for the roof racks on the 9-5 change in 2003 vs 2002 and earlier? The EPC doesn't differentiate, so I'm thinking "no", but I thought I'd ask the gurus.

I have a set of racks that I'm told were width modified from a 9-5 to fit the OG 9-3. You can see the width mod to the rails so they were definitely on a wider car. They are almost identical to my stock OG9-3 racks but with wider rails for a wider car. But, when I tried to fit them to a 2003 9-5 the pins were spaced wrong. Now I'm confused as to what they might actually fit in the original layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd May 2019
Saab on the Brain!

My Saabs: Hirsch fleet: 2*9-5 + 9-3

9-5 have same roof racks to all model years (depending of body type).
Old 23rd May 2019
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmi View Post
9-5 have same roof racks to all model years (depending of body type).

Hmmmm.... that leads me to a question of what this rack was originally for then. More research required, perhaps some time at the u-pull with a tape measure.

Old 23rd May 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: '97 900SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon

If you post a picture, I'm sure someone could identify it. I have factory racks for a NG900 sedan coupe, a 9000, and a 9-5 wagon. The 9000 and 9-5 racks are both labeled as to what they're for. The 9000 racks have a sticker to identify them and the 9-5 racks have a picture and identifying information printed on them. I don't think the NG900 racks have any identifying marks other than a Saab logo.
Old 23rd May 2019
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
If you post a picture, I'm sure someone could identify it. I have factory racks for a NG900 sedan coupe, a 9000, and a 9-5 wagon. The 9000 and 9-5 racks are both labeled as to what they're for. The 9000 racks have a sticker to identify them and the 9-5 racks have a picture and identifying information printed on them. I don't think the NG900 racks have any identifying marks other than a Saab logo.
Jeremy: Maybe these are coupe racks... But, I don't know why they'd be wider than normal by default - I assume the coupe roof is identical in width to the 5D og9-3/ng900 roof.

I will get and post some specs and photos. I have another set of 9-3 5D racks. Maybe we can put together a roof rack identification thread with measurements & spacing to help with future questions.
Old 23rd May 2019
Saab on the Brain!

I think the rear rack for a coupe would be narrower because of how it mounts. The coupes have some plastic panels that unsnap from the roof and the rack clips onto studs that are underneath. The worst part about the coupe's rear rack is that there's no way to secure it. Anyone could walk off with that part of it.
Old 25th May 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaabit View Post
Jeremy: Maybe these are coupe racks... But, I don't know why they'd be wider than normal by default - I assume the coupe roof is identical in width to the 5D og9-3/ng900 roof.

900/9-3 Coupé racks have slots rather than pins for the back crossbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
I think the rear rack for a coupe would be narrower because of how it mounts. The coupes have some plastic panels that unsnap from the roof and the rack clips onto studs that are underneath. The worst part about the coupe's rear rack is that there's no way to secure it. Anyone could walk off with that part of it.

Without checking, I'd say they're exactly the same width. After all, the roof panel is probably the same between coupé and sedan, and the sedan racks don't have a front or rear.

I suppose you could get locks for the racks. Or you could just chain and padlock the rear bar to the front.

Last edited by EdT; 25th May 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saabista

So, this gets a little weirder then.... I went and measured the rack pin spacing on a 2002 and a 2008 9-5. It's ~95mm front and rear. I then measured my 9-3 5D - it's ~77mm.

The racks I have fit my 5D. The rails are definitely wider, so they came from a 9-5. But somehow the feet/pins must have come from a 9-3 as they fit my 9-3. Someone must have done a full hybrid for reasons unknown.

There's no chance the earlier (1999-2001) 9-5 came with different spacing, is there?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2006 SC #1 , 2006 SC #2

Any chance there is a cross-over here with 9000 parts?

The two 9-5's I currently maintain for my daughters are both SC's with roof rails, so I've never looked hard at the rack mounting holes. These two cars share a set of Thule rail-rider crossbars, since they aren't needed all the time.

The only car that I had SAAB racks for was a 9000S, and the guys at a lumber yard were amazed at how quickly and securely the racks popped into their sockets to load up long lengths of wood. I can see why you want a pair.

2006 9-5T SC #1; 2006 9-5T SC #2
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

I assume there are no part numbers on these strange racks, because that would make it too easy.

EPC shows same roof racks 1998-2009. It would be quite unSaablike to change the pin spacing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
Any chance there is a cross-over here with 9000 parts?

The two 9-5's I currently maintain for my daughters are both SC's with roof rails, so I've never looked hard at the rack mounting holes. These two cars share a set of Thule rail-rider crossbars, since they aren't needed all the time.

The only car that I had SAAB racks for was a 9000S, and the guys at a lumber yard were amazed at how quickly and securely the racks popped into their sockets to load up long lengths of wood. I can see why you want a pair.
Hmm.... maybe they are 9000 racks.

Jeremy: Is the pin spacing front and rear on the 9000 racks the same (77mm) as the OG 9-3 racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
I assume there are no part numbers on these strange racks, because that would make it too easy.
I will check them again. I didn't see anything that looked like a proper part number on my initial survey.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Bob, would you believe that I sold the 9000 racks about a week ago? Sorry I won't be much help with that. I bet someone over on the 9000 board could pull their weatherstripping aside and measure the hole spacing, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement