Cosmic Aero Wagon Project - Page 7 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

Notices

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th February 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6, 2000 9-5 Aero mt

Looking great! Good update. Sad to hear about the steering rack, that is a tough job. I did mine twice last year! Put a reconditioned rack in which also leaked, and had to pull it to put another in. What you will find is that nobody makes a new rack, all I could find were rebuilt ones. Might be best getting a known good unit somehow off a parts car.

Just the other day my 9-5 puked all its power steering fluid. Im hoping it was a hose, but it has been so cold and now rainy that Ive just been driving the 900. Maybe Ill get to do the rack once more!

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th February 2019
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero SC 5sp
Garage

@TBoy I assume you remove the subframe to get to the rack?

Sadly the steering rack is one of those handy things I sent off with my old 9-5 to the wreckers.. yep, that was stupid...

I've never touched a steering rack before so it'll be another new experience - and you make it sound so fun!

- - -

@bha280 - I have pulled apart the rear a few times, it's not difficult and there's actually not a lot to break. It's put together quite solidly.

The only thing that requires caution is the little narrow fill panel above the rear trunk window - it's attached to the larger D-pillar panel which you have to remove by means of a little hook-like plastic piece. It doesn't matter hugely if you break this, however.

Start with the middle panel with the light in it - work from the inner edge. It does need some effort to pull the clips from the steel body, so don't be too cautious.

Once that's out, work your way downwards. First the d-pillar cover (again, solid clips!), then the cover below the window.

There are some small plastic covers hiding screws, and the main carpet is bolted at the top (hidden) edge.

There's a good guide with pics here:

http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/.../subwoofer.asp

'97 900 Tally / '99 9-3 3dr / '99 9-5 SC / '06 9-3 Aero V6 SC /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7th February 2019
Saab Lunatic

Yes, subframe must be "lowered" to remove the rack. The first time I did it I just removed it and combined the job with a suspension overhaul including subframe bushings. The second time I did lower the back of the subframe, but it is still fiddly to wiggle it in and out.

2000 9-5 Aero mt

Old 7th February 2019
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon manual

Thanks, Pastry! I've been looking for a walk through like that with no luck.
Old 16th May 2019
Saab Crazy

Garage

Well many months later and the car is only at 142,XXX km.

It runs bloody well, big fat oomph of power when the boost comes on, and it goes pretty hard to 6000+ rpm.

I didn't really win the battle with the roof - the clear is failing. A couple of tiny spots have blistered, which is hugely disappointing. It still looks a million miles from how it did when I bought it, but in the end I couldn't rescue it. A respray will be required in its distant future.

I've continued to tidy her up.
  • Fixed the rear subwoofer by re-foaming it.
  • Wet sanded out some of the bigger scratches, including a line that ran along the whole rear drivers side.
  • Fixed up a few blown bulbs in the centre console and info display.
  • Removed the old crappy tint.
  • Put the stock wheels back on with decent set of rubber.
  • Replaced the shark fin aerial with a new OEM dummy unit (eBay ones were just ****e IMO).
  • Added camber bolts to the front struts - still saving for the KMAC rear ones
  • Did a basic repair of the lightly damaged rear arch to get some paint on it. Fine from distance!
  • Thought i'd fixed a squeak in the back seat area, but it came back. Got to track this bugger down!

Mechanically I've had a few snags:

Wheel bearing
Pass. front wheel bearing AND hub failed - I had a new bearing pressed into a new hub and then refitted, but it still chirps now and then because I bought a "kit" not realising the parts are from bloody ProParts Sweden, who are.. mediocre. So will probably do this again with a top quality bearing.

ABS Sensor failed
Likely wiring failed due to being brittle, and manipulated whilst changing the hub. I will try to repair it first.

Handbrake
I think the handbrake position it has previously been incorrectly adjusted in the cabin, and now I can't seem to perform the proper adjustment on the shoe position. Annoying, will probably get a Saab shop on this one.

Input Shaft Bearing
Biggest of all.. the input shaft bearing is making noise in neutral with clutch up. So I guess I have to pull the gearbox at some point. I might save that job for a time when I can chuck a Quaife LSD in there.. but that time is probably "never" due to the cost... New boxes still available if it ever comes to it.

I don't actually think there's anything wrong with the steering rack after all - it was all part of the hub issue. It probably needs new bushes, and the column splines greasing.

FWIW I had a fellow Saab fan genuinely interested in buying it, but I wasn't ready and didn't feel i could sell it for what i'd like with the current issues - mainly the ISB. The offer was pretty good though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17th June 2019
Saab Crazy

Garage

Fiddled and fixed a few items last week.

ABS Sensor done and ABS issue now sorted

Polished up the exhaust tip - the first bit of love it's seen in many a long year!

Replaced the front badge with a proper one instead of the cheapo gel-dome type that people put on.

Also fiddled with the PCV system to delete entirely the return line breather from the oil filler neck. A lot of techs I know do not rate the final PCV "fix" and recommend modifying it slightly. I'm going to have one of them double check it at some point soon, to make sure I've got it right.

I chased the rear bench seat latch squeak but haven't nailed that sucker yet.

Also did what I could for now with the handbrake adjustment - it's not the right way to do it, but tightening down at the lever end has ensured it will bite at all rather than risking it missing even on top click. I may find I need new shoes, or might simply have to pull the rear discs to get better access to the adjustment screws. One for later..

Old 17th June 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

very nice job
Old 18th June 2019
Saab Crazy

Garage

terrible bumpy video of one of my local quick test runs

(embeds don't work any more? edit: the old way doesn't..)

Last edited by Pastry; 18th June 2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 18th June 2019
Saab Lunatic

Great update. Glad to see it still running and serving well!

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Old 18th June 2019
Saab Crazy

Garage

Thanks @qwikredline and @Tboy, as ever!

Might as well update on my current plans for this thing - hopefully within the next 12 months..:
  • Buy and add rear camber adusting eccentric rose bushes
  • 3" Downpipe, keep stock exhaust from cat back for now
  • Intercooler - can possibly get a used do88 from another enthusiast here
  • 3.5bar FPR
  • Stage 3 tune

That should see me beyond 300hp on the stock TD04, which will do me for now and possibly for a long time. At times it already feels pretty damn quick so depending on what it's actually mapped to from factory, could be 80-100hp gains in that lot.

FWIW the same guy who has the do88 cooler has a 3" DP but I think it's either an OBX or a Proparts one from back when eEuro sold those. It has a 100cell cat, which means it has to have an accompanying tune in order to not trigger a CEL. So.. not a bad cheaper option, but I am leaning to the higher quality APH (UK) pipe, which is a thing of beauty and which I could install without software changes.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Is it in stock tune already? Might want to try a stage one in the meantime, I've heard it is quite good. I *think* I have a stag 1 in my viggen, it was done by PO. It is quite good. I know the car does not have any additonal hardware, so it must be stage one'ish, but it might not be from T7 suite, might be from a tuner.

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Garage

Yeah I've thought about it but would probably rather defer that cost a bit, not keen to pay twice. We have an excellent local (ish) tuner who has posted here in the past, and I want to use his services.

I could do with finally sorting my own T7 Suite setup. I have several ECUs (don't we all?) but never got around to ordering the adaptor etc.

Not planning to tune myself, but I'd rather have the tune via email option instead of sending ECU's off.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

I dont have an option for a local tuner. So far Ive not tuned too much and Im not keen on applying anything more than stage one type stuff. Beyond that I think its best to have an experienced person work it out.

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement