Brake Upgrades - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

Notices

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th May 2018

Join Date: Apr 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
Default Brake Upgrades

Looking to upgrade the brakes on my 2000 9-5. Was wondering what calipers may bolt on for an upgrade? Also looking to upgrade rotors and pads at the same time and wondering what would be recommended
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th May 2018
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

What brakes are on there now? What do you want to accomplish?

Making sure you have Aero brake rotors front and back is a good start. If you don't, you need front caliper bracket and rear bracket plus caliper. New rotors and pads. I have all Saab OEM. The pads are very effective but they dust a lot.
Old 21st May 2018

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1989 Saab SPG

Search for the Chevy Cobalt SS brembo brake upgrade. That is one a few people have done. I have no experience with it.

Agree with the Aero brake comment. Aero calipers and rotors, decent pads and maybe some stainless lines would be a good budget option.

Old 22nd April 2019

Join Date: Jun 2013                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Aero
Garage

I'm interested in stainless lines but I'm concerned about the reliability. I don't take the car to the track, it is mainly just a fun commuter. I know rubber lines are tried and true and have a super low failure rate... Would just replacing my old lines with new OEM rubber lines help?

Also, what pads do you recommend on stock Aero rotors? I want to avoid the dusting as much as possible, but again, I'm not track racing so I won't have the high heat and I still want something that will bite!
Old 22nd April 2019
Saab on the Brain!

I've had OEM Saab rotors and pads for a few years, and the brakes work very well, and the rotors look just fine with no pad deposits.

On the other hand, they dust very, very much.

On the third hand, it's a good question whether Orio would provide the same parts now, as they seem to be turning into a distributor of aftermarket third-party suppliers, not necessarily any much better than the usual parts-store stuff.
Old 27th April 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Search for the Chevy Cobalt SS brembo brake upgrade. That is one a few people have done. I have no experience with it.

Agree with the Aero brake comment. Aero calipers and rotors, decent pads and maybe some stainless lines would be a good budget option.

Brembo will not fit on pre-2003 hubs

You only need Aero caliper carriers ( bracket) to fit the larger 308mm Aero rotors ( compared to the LPT 288 mm) You can buy rebuilt calipers -make sure you get them WITH BRACKETS for like 80 bucks each. You can just swap in the bracket with your calipers (calipers are not different) and have it easy from there or use the new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
I've had OEM Saab rotors and pads for a few years, and the brakes work very well, and the rotors look just fine with no pad deposits.

On the other hand, they dust very, very much.

On the third hand, it's a good question whether Orio would provide the same parts now, as they seem to be turning into a distributor of aftermarket third-party suppliers, not necessarily any much better than the usual parts-store stuff.

Stock pads are very aggressive (and give great stopping) but cause big dust ups.

Akebono make very good ceramic pads. Low dust many use those
Old 27th April 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
Stock pads are very aggressive (and give great stopping) but cause big dust ups.

Akebono make very good ceramic pads. Low dust many use those

I put Akebono Euro pads on my NG900. Pluses: they lasted 150,000km, including much trailer towing (and back brakes working poorly most of the time); and their dusting was minimal. Minuses: bite is not very aggressive; and they seem to leave deposits on the rotors. I had to replace my Zimmerman rotors because the deposits were baked in, causing really bad braking pulsations. The OEM Saab rotors seem to shrug off the deposits a bit better.

By contrast, the front rotors on the 9-5 look great, despite being parked for a couple of winters with consequent moisture and rusting.

Despite the brake dusting, I would totally buy the Saab OEM pads over the Akebono Euro ceramic pads, based on my experience.
Old 11th May 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                

Porsche Boxster s calipers need little modifications to fit. And you can grab them off eBay for cheap. Anything can be done, full boxster s brakes you can do 345mm turbo x rotors up front and 2002+ 9-5 aero 300mm rotors, you can go from 4 pistons to 16 pistons very easily. We are working on making a kit available on our website this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement