Akebono (noise?) v EBC redstuff v? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY Covers Tuning & all Performance modifications specific to 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th December 2018

Join Date: Oct 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0t convertible
Default Akebono (noise?) v EBC redstuff v?

Hi - I have a 2006 2.0t vert. I'm upgrading my rotors and pads. Just bought R1 geomets slotted rotors (centric blanks). On to brake pads-

I've tentatively narrowed it down to Akebono euros and EBC redstuff. I've read that some people have had trouble with the Akebonos making noise - click, moving in the caliper, etc. I called Akebono. They tech said he was unaware of any reported problems w/ their brakes on saab 9-3s. I have 302mm front rotors and 278 solid back. The Akebono tech said Euro 972 front and Euro1095 rear fit, and are the same size (although different material) as the Akebono stock brakes on the car. Is anyone using the same model number Akebonos with the my rotor sizes? If so, any noise or other problems and what do you think of the pads?

I'm also considering EBC redstuff. I understand they may dust more than Akebono and take longer to bed in. If someone has used both, I'd appreciate a performance comparison.

I'm open to other ideas on other low dust pads if anyone has any. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th December 2018
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

No issues with Akebono noises if you put the little spring in the rear to hold the pad still. People often either don;t put spring in or put them in backwards. Dust is very minimal. Had mine over 10 years now.

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Old 13th December 2018
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2015                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Turbo X, '11 9-3X, '11 9-5 Aero
Garage

I was using redstuff at the front, and akebono at the rear (for no specific reason). Had no noise or performance issues. With ALU50 aero wheels dust was always an issue with any type of pad material.

Old 15th December 2018
#1 Super Guy!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 92 C900T vert, 95 9K Stg3+, NG900 HX35

Almost every car that runs through our shop gets Ake's, they're our favorite pad to use.
Old 5th February 2019
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

I have ebc reds in the rear and Greens in the front. The EBC greens do create more dust in the front but that probably has more to do with Front Bias braking.
Old 8th April 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.3 2.0 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3PO View Post
Hi - I have a 2006 2.0t vert. I'm upgrading my rotors and pads. Just bought R1 geomets slotted rotors (centric blanks). On to brake pads-

I've tentatively narrowed it down to Akebono euros and EBC redstuff. I've read that some people have had trouble with the Akebonos making noise - click, moving in the caliper, etc. I called Akebono. They tech said he was unaware of any reported problems w/ their brakes on saab 9-3s. I have 302mm front rotors and 278 solid back. The Akebono tech said Euro 972 front and Euro1095 rear fit, and are the same size (although different material) as the Akebono stock brakes on the car. Is anyone using the same model number Akebonos with the my rotor sizes? If so, any noise or other problems and what do you think of the pads?

I'm also considering EBC redstuff. I understand they may dust more than Akebono and take longer to bed in. If someone has used both, I'd appreciate a performance comparison.

I'm open to other ideas on other low dust pads if anyone has any. Thanks.

I have Akebono pads on my '07 9-3 Convertible. They are quiet and mostly dustless, but they do click when braking from reverse to forward. Obviously they pads are a bit loose in the calipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement