Boost Gauge Not Working - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X > 9-4X Workshop

Notices

9-4X Workshop 9-4X Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th April 2018
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2016                                                
My Saabs: 05 93Lnr 09 93Aero XWD 11 94XAero
Default Boost Gauge Not Working

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I am looking at purchasing one of these, and the boost gauge doesn't work. The car doesn't seem like a rocket ship, but there are no codes either, so I don't think the turbo is actually defunct. The gauge literally does not move at all though which freaks me out a bit.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th April 2018
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: None
Garage

A scan tool, or even the torque app, can read the PCM which will tell you if the car is indeed making boost easy enough.
Past Saabs: ‘11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) ‘11 9-5 T4P Java, ‘06 9-7X 5.3i, ‘72 Sonett
Old 5th April 2018
SaabNut!

Unfortunately my friends who were able to go check the car out (in Cali, I'm in NJ) did not have a scan tool. The dealer did send me a video after they left of him out on a test drive with the boost gauge working.

They had to jump the car which he said put it in limp mode. A new battery made the gauge work again apparently, and it got most of the way to red while the guy was driving it, so I think it's all good.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 2nd May 2018
SaabNut!

A little feedback here. I swapped the boost controller before I left Cali, and I thought it had rectified the problem. It did not... After driving 3000 miles it started acting up again, although not as severely. It doesn't go into limp mode, or throw a CEL, but it does store a code for overboost. Replacing the BCV is on my list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully that does the trick.
Old 2nd May 2018
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarstad View Post
A little feedback here. I swapped the boost controller before I left Cali, and I thought it had rectified the problem. It did not... After driving 3000 miles it started acting up again, although not as severely. It doesn't go into limp mode, or throw a CEL, but it does store a code for overboost. Replacing the BCV is on my list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully that does the trick.
BCV is super easy to do so probably worth a try. But I would suspect wastegate actuator too.
Past Saabs: ‘11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) ‘11 9-5 T4P Java, ‘06 9-7X 5.3i, ‘72 Sonett
Old 4th May 2018
SaabNut!

Fortunately I have two, or three of these turbos laying around plus some spare parts.

The control seems pretty good at intermediate, and variable throttle, I only seem to trigger the code when I lift suddenly which is what is making me think BCV. I'll look at the instantaneous data as well, and see if I can extract anything useful from it.

I'll have the battery out tonight to chase down a coolant leak, so getting to the BCV should be even easier.
Old 4th May 2018
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarstad View Post
Fortunately I have two, or three of these turbos laying around plus some spare parts.

The control seems pretty good at intermediate, and variable throttle, I only seem to trigger the code when I lift suddenly which is what is making me think BCV. I'll look at the instantaneous data as well, and see if I can extract anything useful from it.

I'll have the battery out tonight to chase down a coolant leak, so getting to the BCV should be even easier.
Sounds good, give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Old 7th May 2018
SaabNut!

BCV seems to have cleared it up. I'm over 200 miles in with no more codes cropping up, that doesn't mean there aren't a few other issues though lol.
Old 23rd May 2018
SaabNut!

Another update here. The boost gauge on this car is like the ultimate CEL. Virtually any troublesome operation will shut down the boost gauge, then a couple start cycles later I'll usually get a CEL. The boost gauge will even trip for proprietary codes though, which often won't trigger a CEL.

The boost controller, and BPV cleaned up the overboost problems, I hesitantly say permanently as it's been over 500 miles.

Later I had to do an EVAP solenoid as well which eventually did trigger a CEL, but shut the boost gauge down first.
Old 2nd October 2018

Join Date: Aug 2018                                                

@jbarstad 2011 saab 9-5 turbo6. Turbo gauge stopped working. Turn on . Just wouldn’t read. I had two stored codes (p2097, p0496). Nothing relating to turbo. Once I cleared the codes. Turn car off an back on the turbo gauge came back to life reading again. Any ideas what I should go down an replace ? Evap solenoid ? Or purge valve ?
Old 8th October 2018
SaabNut!

To be honest, I'm not sure what the deal is with the turbo gauge, I know it sounds like I had it figured out above, but I've subsequently had other issues that haven't impacted the functionality of the gauge at all.

I will say, the last time I was having issues with the boost gauge I also had a bad purge valve which was throwing a code occasionally. Replaced that, and the boost gauge stopped turning off. Ended up with a more difficult to diagnose/intermittent "large leak" code that I still haven't resolved, but boost gauge always works.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that EVAP code is shutting down your gauge, and it's probably the purge valve on the rear cylinder bank.
Old 8th October 2018

@jbarstad for sure I replaced boost pressure sensor as well, car would lose boost during pull and fill like Mis fires.
Old 8th October 2018
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas98123 View Post
@jbarstad for sure I replaced boost pressure sensor as well, car would lose boost during pull and fill like Mis fires.
If you’re getting misfires, are you running a tune? Even without one the V6 can pop coil packs, especially ones located near the exhaust. Denso Iridium IKH22 plugs gapped at 0.80mm helped my ‘11 9-5 Aero tremendously.
Old 8th October 2018

@joshernator it felt like misfires but I believe it was more so directed towards the boost letting off cause the faulty sensor i replaced . I’ve had no issues sense then with that problem.
Old 8th October 2018

I’ve cleared two stored codes (p2097, p0496, no CEL) and since the start up after the turbo gauge has been working and codes havnt came back.
Old 9th October 2018
SaabNut!

That how mine was as well. I'd clear it out, and then a day later the boost gauge would drop out, then after a few drive cycles I'd pull an EVAP code. Once I swapped the purge valve ($30? & 30 minutes) all was well.

I also had a power issue with a faulty boost controller, car was slow, and clearly down on power, wouldn't make boost, etc. It didn't feel like a misfire though.
Old 9th October 2018

Purge valve solved the boost problems for me. Haven’t replaced evap. If I have any more turbo gauge problems that’ll be my next replacement . Faulty sensors . Super easy to replace and very inexspensove sometime . Thankfully it was just those on my end. Havnt has any new codes pop sense then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement