What would you buy instead of a Saab? - Page 41 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

Notices

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What would you buy instead of a Saab?
Chevy/GMC/Buick/Cadillac 32 3.99%
Subaru 107 13.34%
Toyota/Scion/Lexus 25 3.12%
Honda/Acura 34 4.24%
Hyundai/Kia 13 1.62%
Mercedes Benz 40 4.99%
BMW/Mini 118 14.71%
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 7 0.87%
Nissan/Infiniti 27 3.37%
Ford/Mercury/Lincoln 18 2.24%
VW/Audi 148 18.45%
Jaguar/Land Rover 27 3.37%
Mazda 13 1.62%
Mistubishi 10 1.25%
Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari 29 3.62%
Volvo 112 13.97%
Other 42 5.24%
Voters: 802. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combi-not-station View Post
Hyundai is Korean... Big difference. I am not a fan of Chinese junk. Taiwan makes good tools. Japan...quality. Hong Kong is great. Mainland China, not so much.

Who did the complaints regarding the sportwagens come from? I was hoping to get a manual TDI if I can't find the right 9-5 wagon.
I know Hyundai is Korean, I was using it as an example. I work with a ton of Chinese companies who sell to Japan, and HK and they are good products. There are different levels of quality when it comes to assembly lines. Most products labeled HK are Chinese made.

The sportwagens were not comfortable for us. We drove one for a week. I thought it would have handled better but it washed out in turns. The car also had no guts to speak of. All around the seats took some getting use to. Maybe I am spoiled but i could not see selling my wagon to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

If you don't like the power of the SportWagen then get the 1.8 motor, drop in an IS20 turbo from the GTI super cheap (they are collecting dust in garages all over the place, like mine is) and get a tune for it. Boom, near 300WHP and still get same mileage. Won't be lacking for power then.

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
If you don't like the power of the SportWagen then get the 1.8 motor, drop in an IS20 turbo from the GTI super cheap (they are collecting dust in garages all over the place, like mine is) and get a tune for it. Boom, near 300WHP and still get same mileage. Won't be lacking for power then.
Agreed. Anything can be modded. I am talking about my impressions on a show room model car. One that I would not mod until the warranty was dead.

I was an avid VW/Audi guy up til the early 2000's. I got tired of reliability issues.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Nov 2015                                                
My Saabs: NONE, Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I know Hyundai is Korean, I was using it as an example. I work with a ton of Chinese companies who sell to Japan, and HK and they are good products. There are different levels of quality when it comes to assembly lines. Most products labeled HK are Chinese made.

The sportwagens were not comfortable for us. We drove one for a week. I thought it would have handled better but it washed out in turns. The car also had no guts to speak of. All around the seats took some getting use to. Maybe I am spoiled but i could not see selling my wagon to pay for it.

The seats in the sportwagens are a killer for me (all manual adjustment? no way to move the seat bottom?). I have been spoiled with the 9-5 seats. The 9-5 seats are the most comfortable of any car except maybe the phaeton.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Agreed. Anything can be modded. I am talking about my impressions on a show room model car. One that I would not mod until the warranty was dead.

I was an avid VW/Audi guy up til the early 2000's. I got tired of reliability issues.
3.5 years

0 dealer trips

things are much better at VAG than early 2000s

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
3.5 years

0 dealer trips

things are much better at VAG than early 2000s
You are probably right. But when you get burned for so many years by a certain brand it gets old. Subaru was the same way with the ****ty 2.5 motor blowing headgaskets all day long.

Oh and I worked for Audi/VW at the time also. They kept us very busy on repairs.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero convertible manual
Garage

Wife and I are actually going through this now, her 9-3 was recently totaled. She either wants another 06+ manual 9-3 Aero convertible, or a BMW E64 650ci manual. The Saab is her perfect car, and there's been almost nothing else that I've shown her that makes her feel the same way.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero fully loaded
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by majeskyb View Post
Wife and I are actually going through this now, her 9-3 was recently totaled. She either wants another 06+ manual 9-3 Aero convertible, or a BMW E64 650ci manual. The Saab is her perfect car, and there's been almost nothing else that I've shown her that makes her feel the same way.
I know how you feel. I've started preparing for the future regarding replacement cars and MAN is it tough.
For me, the issue is I now have a fully loaded 2005 9-5 Aero, Nav, Vented seats etc etc etc. I can't find as complete a package for a reasonable cost. The closest I found was a 2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, but no vented seats and it was $12,000.
I looked at Lexus but they just don't depreciate. Some with 300,000 to 400,000 kms + still going for anything between $6000 and $10,000.
The KIA Optima SX Turbo just doesn't drive the same and interior tactile feel of controls just seem cheap. Like, if I press too hard will the inner plunger of the button jam/break?
I also looked at the Hyundai Genesis 5.4 (the V8 one), but that's not the same driving experience either. Way more luxury though. This is a really difficult decision lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement