24 Hours of Lemons Build - Page 4 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

Notices

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th March 2017

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiguy01 View Post
Did you deduce the chain noise? I and another 9-5 owner both have this intermittent rattle when engine is at temp. Not looking to pull motor for new chains and guides but definitely don't want something catastrophic to happen.
Not 100% sure on my cause. The accessory belt idler needs replacing, it has a lot of play. The balance shaft chain idler also had a little play. Chain itself looked ok, and the timing stuff all looks fine. I'm guessing it's just a combination of the above in my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st March 2017
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900 S

Is this car on the original fuel pump? If so, that's incredible.
Old 21st March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderwave2 View Post
Is this car on the original fuel pump? If so, that's incredible.
I don't think so. I believe that has been replaced at least once. However the stock fuel system is gone now that it's racing. Full blown racing fuel cell with 22 gallon capacity and an in-line pump. It was a Walbro, until that packed up and died after 1 race in my old car. Now we use a common pump for an old Econoline van with a 6-cylinder. Commonly found at almost any auto parts store for about $80, and almost identical to a walbro in-line pump. That one has gotten us through half a dozen races already.

Old 21st March 2017
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900 S

That's cool that you were able to find an off the shelf pump that works well. Do you guys have any plans to tune the car at all?
Old 21st March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderwave2 View Post
That's cool that you were able to find an off the shelf pump that works well. Do you guys have any plans to tune the car at all?
None. Endurance racing is a bit unlike anything else. Power increases only gain you exploded engines. You don't win by adding 50hp, you win by keeping the engine cool, and driving cleanly without screwing up once over your 3+ hours behind the wheel (and then hoping your other drivers do the same).

The car did pretty well just running stock everything, so we won't change it. We finished 33rd of 117 last race (and would have finished 28th if I had properly diagnosed the issues I had 15 minutes before the checkered as running out of gas). If we can get some camber into the thing and run better tires we'll have a real shot at finishing top 20.
Old 21st March 2017

I should also mention. We got a look at the turbo as well. Just about zero sideways play and really minor axial play. Spins nicely and looks great. Not bad for a quater of a million miles.
Old 27th March 2017

Well, the car fired up and drove yesterday. I didn't take any photos.

Thursday night we put the power train back in. Which went surprisingly smoothly. Friday I tried to get a lot of the engine bay back together, only to discover that while taking the engine out we had bend the crap out of the shifter rod. So yesterday we started the day pulling that out (holy crap the shifter assembly in these things is overkill), heating the area, and bending it back to shape. After connecting the 6000 little things in the engine bay we fired it up and drove it onto the trailer.

Still a few things to do before we go racing again:
- Mount up a new seat since I stole the main one to put into the BMW
- Double check torque on all bolts now that things have moved a few times
- Install camber bolts to get some front camber
- Get an alignment after messing with tie rod ends
- Replace the brake fluid
- Buy new race tires and install
- put a new exhaust on the car so it's not so damn quiet. Will be a straight pipe off the cat
- and a few other little items that i'll remember later.
Old 27th March 2017
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 wagon 2.3l

sweet. love the wagons
Old 31st March 2017
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-5 Manual SC; 95 900S; 2000 Vert

Good luck this year! Would loce to see it in person. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 3rd April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
Good luck this year! Would loce to see it in person. Haha.

Next race is mother's day weekend in NJ. Not terribly far from VA, depending on where in VA. Races are cool to spectate at.
Old 3rd April 2017
SaabNut!

Ahhh. Thunder or Lightning? Been there twice. Sweet track and good spectating areas.

Old 3rd April 2017

We'll be on thunderbolt. It is a fun track, can't wait to go back.
Old 3rd April 2017
SaabNut!

Nice!

Old 3rd April 2017
SaabNut!

Summit is my home track and VIR is 2nd home.

Old 5th March 2019

::tap tap:: is this thing on?

Time for a 2 year later update. We've done 7 races with the car now, totaling more than 4,000 race miles, and the thing has been just fantastic. If we could get ourselves to run a perfect race and not screw up or break little minor things it's a top 20 car. Our best finish was 21st out of ~120 cars, and would have been higher if not for a couple black flags on sunday.

The car is currently under the knife getting ready for the 2019 season. I'm tackling the following over the next couple weeks
- New timing chain as the old one is finally making noise at 258k miles
- Upgrading to an FC RX7 oil cooler
- installing the now required full fire suppression system
- revamping our brake ducts to have blower fans (PittRace is going to be abusive on brakes)
- I rebuilt our power seat base to have two motors powering the sliders instead of one to give us more lap belt tightening power. Thank you saab for making the passenger and driver assemblies mirror images so this was easy
- Finally pulling the AC compressor
- Moving the battery to the rear to free up engine bay space
- replacing our worn out shifting linkage
- Redoing our hood venting to something less ugly
- relocating the TWICE so we don't fry another one in wet races
- Trying to decide what to do about suspension upgrades, we'd like something a touch stiffer than we have now which is OEM Aero parts.

Handful of pictures from over the years

Old 5th March 2019

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 SPG / 2006 9-5 wagon / 2000 9-5

Thanks for sharing, I think this is the most wonderful thing. A true testament to to your workmanship but also to how well made these cars are. BTW your interior is still doing well in my 9-5!

Keep up the updates, I love this!
Old 8th April 2019

So for a long while our exhaust has been OEM downpipe and then straight 2.5" from the front subframe back. No more resonators or mufflers. And it was shockingly not that loud. This weekend we pulled the stock downpipe and made up our own 3". Still using the 2.5" from the rear of the subframe back. And holy hell I was not expecting it to get so much louder from just that. But it did. It does not sound like a saab anymore at all. We'll need ear plugs in the car now for sure.

Our last car was a 2.2L turbo with a 2.5" straight pipe, no cat, no mufflers, and it wasn't this loud. I was expecting the saab to be similar.

Last edited by cegna09; 8th April 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 17th April 2019

Well, this past weekend was a mixed bag. Race was at PittRace outside Pittsburgh PA. We signed up for the half day test day on friday to learn the track. Car seemed ready and fine, so I strapped in with my sister in the passenger seat to take a few laps, and on the first straight when I punched it the car went right to limp mode, blinking CEL, no power, breaking up a lot. I limped it back to the pits, and it wouldn't idle, threw more codes than I'd ever seen, and scared the crap out of us. I assumed electrical because we moved the battery and maybe the grounding wasn't good enough for a bunch of sensors, but even after adding another ground cable directly to the now rear mount battery didn't fix it.

Turns out it was the charge pipe that popped off the throttle body... Stupid me. Bolted that on and what do you now, car runs great. I got out for the last session on test day and the car was back to it's awesome self.

Saturday the car seemed to have finally fixed it's over heating issues. (we've only thrown a radiator, bigger oil cooler, better fans, air ducting, cat delete, and a hood vent at it). It was pulling like a freight train, with very few other cars that could out pace us down the straights. (we still lack some corner speed). but shortly after I got in for the last stint of the day it started doing it's stupid over heating thing again. The only difference I could see was the P1444 code came back on. (I have another thread on this, and I think it is related). Either way, I pushed to the end of the day driving as aggressively as I could while keeping temps down.

however, as I rolled the car into the garage at the end of saturday, it started knocking, really bad. We determined it to be top end noise, likely a lifter that failed. If you let the car run a little, it did quiet down, but as soon as you gave it any load, it came right back. On top of that an exhaust stud came out and we blew out a bunch of the gasket. Not smart to run with that large of a leak, and no one local had a gasket, so we sat out sunday. Which is a shame, it was raining and we love the rain.

next race is in august. Looks like we're going to drop in our 200k mile spare motor for that race while we fix the lifters and some other minor oil leaks on this engine, then we'll put it back in for October. We're up to almost 260k miles on this engine, I want to see how far it goes. Over 4k race miles on it already.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Oct 2012                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 aero

hey, are you still selling any parts off from the car to decrease the value for the lemon rule? I have something wanna buy, and it probably helps to take off some weight from the car. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement