Clutch Options for Saab 9-3 5 Speed (F35) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd June 2014

Join Date: Aug 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3ss Linear
Question Clutch Options for Saab 9-3 5 Speed (F35)

I've found a Single Mass Aluminum Flywheel that is a direct replacement for Saab 9-3's both the 5 speed and 6 speed on vivaperformance but I have a question for all of you! Due to the single mass flywheel that comes on a euro spec diesel 9-3 being no longer available at jimellissaab I was wondering would anyone be able to give me information as to whether or not using this flywheel could open up cobalt ss clutch options for the 5 speeds out there? I think it may be possible to use this in conjunction with the Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit available for cobalt ss' and ion redlines. I need a clutch really bad and I think this may solve a lot of problems for 5 speed people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd June 2014

Join Date: Mar 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0t

I'm in the same boat right now and have been looking at going this route for a while now. I spoke with someone at Fidanza last week and he told me their alum flywheel has stock dimensions. So for about $600 you can go with this flywheel and the gmpp clutch. Not quite as cheap as the Euro flywheel, but at least it's an option. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this in the next week or so.
Another thought I had was to use just the pressure plate from the gmpp kit and couple it with the unsprung stock disk and DMF. (I have a new stock clutch kit that I bought and never installed before I learned that the stock PP is too weak)
Also, I think the aluminum flywheel and gmpp combo has been suggested before, but I don't think that the idea gained too much traction since:
1. The Euro flywheel was so much cheaper
2. Some people are frightened of the possibility of a little gear noise that is inherent with a lightweight flywheel.
Old 23rd June 2014

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Saab9-3ss View Post
I've found a Single Mass Aluminum Flywheel that is a direct replacement for Saab 9-3's both the 5 speed and 6 speed on vivaperformance but I have a question for all of you! Due to the single mass flywheel that comes on a euro spec diesel 9-3 being no longer available at jimellissaab I was wondering would anyone be able to give me information as to whether or not using this flywheel could open up cobalt ss clutch options for the 5 speeds out there? I think it may be possible to use this in conjunction with the Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit available for cobalt ss' and ion redlines. I need a clutch really bad and I think this may solve a lot of problems for 5 speed people.
This topic has been discussed at length here.

Old 23rd June 2014

My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3ss Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
I'm in the same boat right now and have been looking at going this route for a while now. I spoke with someone at Fidanza last week and he told me their alum flywheel has stock dimensions. So for about $600 you can go with this flywheel and the gmpp clutch. Not quite as cheap as the Euro flywheel, but at least it's an option. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this in the next week or so.
Another thought I had was to use just the pressure plate from the gmpp kit and couple it with the unsprung stock disk and DMF. (I have a new stock clutch kit that I bought and never installed before I learned that the stock PP is too weak)
Also, I think the aluminum flywheel and gmpp combo has been suggested before, but I don't think that the idea gained too much traction since:
1. The Euro flywheel was so much cheaper
2. Some people are frightened of the possibility of a little gear noise that is inherent with a lightweight flywheel.

I found (and ordered) the euro flywheel mentioned in the thread and will be ordering the GM uprated clutch kit also mentioned. The website was called Saabpartscheap . com search part number 55352485. $101 shipped to Maine just FYI ceebee
Old 25th June 2014

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: TD04 Swapped Linear 93ss, 2000 Viggen

Quote:
I found (and ordered) the euro flywheel mentioned in the thread and will be ordering the GM uprated clutch kit also mentioned. The website was called Saabpartscheap . com search part number 55352485. $101 shipped to Maine just FYI ceebee
I tried ordering this a couple weeks ago and my order went through fine only to be rejected a few hours later via email because it is on back order there as well.. Did you get that email as well or did it actually work for you? cheers
Old 29th June 2014

Join Date: Mar 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0t

Quote:
How long ago did you order that, 2003Saab9-3ss ? I was under the impression that unless it was still in stock sitting on someone's shelf, that no one in the states can get it right now, since the supplier hasn't been supplying them.
Old 7th July 2014

My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3ss Arc stage 1 MPS

The euro flywheel is on backorder and according to several sources they are not sure if it will become available again.

Having said that, yes, if the flywheel you are looking at is the same dimensions as the stock DMF one then you can utilize the GMPP clutch kit. I am awaiting shipment of the Fidanza flywheel I bought for $340 to match with my GMPP clutch kit and will have that installed in a month or so. I couldn't really find anything cheaper than this option when replacing everything.

Having said that, as someone mentioned earlier an upgraded pressure plate may be enough for your needs and may prevent needing anything further. I think the 9-5 pressure plate may work (it's the same one that's included in the GMPP kit) keeping everything else stock. I didn't look into this route too much though. In retrospect I think it would work perfectly for me as it is pretty apparent the pressure plate is the issue in my setup I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement